Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

There is more than one path to Heaven! Is there not?

otooziki

otooziki

United Kingdom

I do not practice any religion, but I was interested in a debate on TV today (The Big Questions, series 2, episode 31, BBC) with the question: Should religions tout for business?

The debate was on whether or not it is right for the evangelicals to use commercial advertising methods to attract people to meetings where they can be persuaded through a controlled debate on 'life questions' to convert to Christianity.

I was intrigued at the end of this debate, when the host Nicky Campbell asked a Jew, a Christian and a Muslim, whether it was possible to reach Heaven through adherence to any religion (ie. not just their religion) and asked for a yes/no answer. And do you have to follow a particular religion or any religion at all to be a good person?

The Jewish Rabbi, Jonathan Romain said yes it was possible, God doesn't mind whether you call him God, Allah, or whatever, and it doesn't matter about variations in how you pray, etc.

The Christian Rev Joel Edwards said no you had to be Christian.

The muslim didn't give a straight answer and gave a longer explanation quoting books, etc. I'm not quite sure what he meant to be honest.

So I thought this would be an interesting one for the ebaby forums!?

Me? Well if there is somewhere after this life I hope the one who is on the checkpoint is less discriminating than some of God's followers here on Earth.

02:55 PM Aug 23 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

The H.Kingdom

Morocco

I was going just to reserve a space to put my word later. But, I would like before to put or to participate in this debate, I would reply briefly on 'brother prince of love' who said…" this incridible unknown place"...!

I'm really wondering from that speech !! That speach is like if you never read any word of all the prophets who were sent as a real guidance. It is an expression seems to be of 1000 of centuries before the coming of any prophet. It's like to say 'the air is incridible and unknown' in our modern time.

Just one of the sayings of the last prophet peace be upon his soul about paradisee, its meaning as follow: " what in paradise is no eyes have seen, no ears have heared, and no heart has yet imagined what is there".

If we as humans couldn't discover yet even the earth, the oceans, how we can deny something was peached by the most trust worthy of human beings (the prophets peace be upon them).

Brother prince, I don't blame you, just I wanted to mention that the expression you said wasn't appropriate especialy from a believer.

And, I'm gonna participate here in my coming word with a research attempt trying to answer the question that BBC may be intentionaly didn't bring the ones who could answer its question to cause a kind of confusion to the audience.

Regards

04:03 PM Aug 23 2009 |

fabs1

fabs1

United Kingdom

Judaism is the only one of the 3 montheistic religions that admits non-adherents to the world to come.

In Islam, it is necessary to believe in Mohammed as a prophet.

In Christianity, the only way to salvation is through the belief in Jesus Christ, the son of gd.

In Judaism, Jews follow what they're supposed to do. Non-Jews follow what they are commanded to do, namely by following the 7 Noahide Laws:

1. Prohibition of Idolatry: You shall not have any idols before God.
  2. Prohibition of Murder: You shall not murder. (Genesis 9:6)
  3. Prohibition of Theft: You shall not steal.
  4. Prohibition of Sexual Promiscuity: You shall not commit any of a series of sexual prohibitions, which include adultery, incest, bestiality and male homosexual intercourse.
  5. Prohibition of Blasphemy: You shall not blaspheme God's name.
  6. Dietary Law: Do not eat flesh taken from an animal while it is still alive. (Genesis 9:4)
  7. Requirement to have just Laws: You shall set up an effective judiciary to enforce the preceding six laws fairly.

04:23 PM Aug 23 2009 |