Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

What is boredom mean to you? what are the reasons of boredom and how one can cope successfully with boredom?

Saladeen

Saladeen

Pakistan

Most of the people are bore that's why they are here to cope with boredom. But don't you think this is a quick fix solution to deep rooted problem. Quick fix can further increase boredom in long run. Is there any permanent solution for this boredom problem? what are the reasons behind problem? what are our feelings when we are bore and what are the feelings when we are in joy and fun? Where is the missing link between the continuum of boredom and fun?

06:59 AM Aug 26 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Saladeen

Saladeen

Pakistan

Thanks Dear sister Learner of life but after looking into your contribution section, I can tell you, you are neither bored nor boring us.. ;)

Hahaha Dear sister TalkNow .... your comment too is really breaking boredom into laughter :))

Thanks for your funny comment!

01:13 PM Sep 09 2011 |

Saladeen

Saladeen

Pakistan

Yulia, what you are describing is a variant of boredom rather boredom in a straight sense. That’s also equally true that life is the combination of different moods, and feeling of boredom is also emotion and like any other emotion boredom too can be transformed into productivity or destructive mood-swings. What you are describing can be productive to feel pain in solitude, without any outside interference, with a realistic contemplation, and leading you toward some creative output but if the same boredom swift away person into drugs addiction and to the world of self-destruction than it can be very tragic too.

Boredom is sometimes pronounced as idleness (or feeling of solitude) but I feel that’s a wrong merger … so, rather it is idleness which you are talking about and of course Idleness is a big blessing but one has to be artistic with his/her idleness too to make it precious otherwise it can be destructive too.

As there saying goes: A moment of contemplation is better than hours of study.

But in cotrast there is also another saying: An idle mind is the devil’s workshop.

09:32 AM Sep 10 2011 |

Learner of Life

Indonesia

Really brother Saladen, by sharing thoughts and making discussion with others like this that can heal boredom, besides we can get more understanding about the topic we are talking about.

The topic like this also that will make this lifetalk be more live. Smile

Just go away the boredom Yell

I’m getting fine now and not get bored anymore after finishing this comment Laughing

12:25 PM Sep 10 2011 |

MsX

MsX

Russian Federation

Can anyone say where to find time for boredom? I would like to feel a little bored for a change.

01:58 PM Sep 11 2011 |

Saladeen

Saladeen

Pakistan

I am glad to know that Dear Learner of life, we all are learners here – in Life talk. Smile

Dear Yulia, thats a very profound quote and cover most of the ailments of boredom in a succinct way, thanks for sharing. I agree boredom is something like giving up (or more proper to say heart-sinking or extreme despair),

We have similar maxim in our Islamic traditions: “Heart-sinking is equal to kufar.” (‘Kufar’ means disbelieve) Giving oneself in the hands of despair is the way leading towards disbelieve; first disbelieve in improvement (in present condition of a person) and than gradually leading to disbelieve on God, so heart-sinking ultimately change even a perfect believer into disbeliever and vice versa.

Dear Ryo, that’s rather in human instinct to know about different cultures and traditions (other than theirs) to expend their mental horizon, to find similarities and dissimilarities, to share new ideas, new hopes and create new avenues of understanding, so that’s a very intellectual kind of activity during our free time. Thanks for adding a good point to this topic.

Dear Katiya, feeling bored for a little change is like interval time after each round of boxing-match. Laughing .... Taking some water and energy for next round. Cool 

Good idea for taking energy drink during intervals. Yell

04:57 PM Sep 11 2011 |

Hossam_bounab

Algeria

The best thing that brings me out of my borredom, is nature, I adore wild nature…I could never feel borred there, but the city is awful, it makes me feel sick and depressed mentally and physically

10:46 PM Sep 11 2011 |

MsX

MsX

Russian Federation

Saladeen, how right you are in comparing my life with rounds of a boxing match! Wise words! Laughing

06:58 AM Sep 12 2011 |

Saladeen

Saladeen

Pakistan

Thanks Dear Ryo, for adding up your precious points to this topic and I do agree being boring doesnt necessarily mean sad and it is about not knowing how to properly utilize our free time.

It can be utilize in more meaningfully in many ways; learning new skills, joining couching groups of desired sport, communicating through small talks and knowing different people to enhance our communication skills etc.

Dear Hussam, That’s a very healthy way to spend your free time in the wilderness of nature (by the way that one is also one of my favourite). That’s true big cities are so full of hustle buslte that sometimes a person feel congestion to the degree that one feel yearning for fresh air.

Dear Katiya, boxing is very interesting game and it never gives a player any oppurtunity to feel boring; only even for moment, the moment one feel boring the very next moment will be the moment of knock out.Laughing

11:52 AM Sep 12 2011 |

Hossam_bounab

Algeria

What is boxing ?!!! wanna learn it Laughing

12:14 PM Sep 12 2011 |

Saladeen

Saladeen

Pakistan

Hussam, once during my collage days I too wanted to learn boxing, on the first day my coach put me to fight with a boy two level junior than me, I was very cross that my coach is underestimating me but afterall I had to obey, now the game began, I thought I would win within no time, but believe me, he was punching me with 1-2, 1-2 combination so rigorously like he was punching pillow that moment I was thinking for the moment that boxing is such a boring game (because neither kicks nor any grab is allowed), during that very moment my opponent poked me so hard on my nose that I was going down and down till knocked down with bleeding nose. That day was sheer embarrassment for me. My couch first lesson that day was: never think on anything while you are playing boxing and always guard your box (face).

12:35 PM Sep 12 2011 |