Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

would you still believe?

gkisseberth

Germany

Just for a moment, entertain the possibility that scientists could disprove a particular religious beleif. 

IF scientists disproved your religious belief, would you still continue to beleive, despite the scientific evidence against it?  

06:15 PM Aug 28 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

~MemoTheHun~

Germany

Gkisseberth,

you don't know where you come from and you can't say if there is a god or not. That means your atheism is a belief, too. You BELIEVE that it is like that. Many scientists believe in God: DNA scientists, physicists and so on… that means you wouldn't leave atheism although the atheistic belief is  disproved. 

I would leave my religion if I was a christian, aborigine, buddhist, hindu, a jew… But I am a Muslim and science has disproved nothing until now. The root of science is the Qur'an: Arabs were the best educated people untill 1400 and when Turks came to the Anatolia, Byzantin Empire was devided and the Romans flew to the West and took the books and ideas with them. Until now nothing was disproven in the Qur'an because every word it contains is true. If you have any doubts in that, then open and read it. 

02:32 PM Aug 29 2009 |

bonnie8a8

bonnie8a8

China

I don't have such concerns,religions seldomly live in my mind,or it's confused and knowledge tells me what should be believed,if it's divorcing from reality,I will be happy to change it。

04:37 PM Aug 29 2009 |

javamanju

javamanju

India

I would leave my religion if I was a christian, aborigine, buddhist, hindu, a jew…

How can u claim that?

The root of science is the Qur'an: Arabs were the best educated people untill 1400 and when Turks came to the Anatolia, Byzantin Empire was devided and the Romans flew to the West and took the books and ideas with them.

Can you give some proper scientific theories and Proofs?

Roman and Greek civilizations were very advanced scientifically. It is an extremely tall claim to say that they stole stuff from Quran.

Also some claim that "Golden age" started only after Iran was completely Conquered.Iranians were great re-searchers and good at medicinal science. also,  Iran had good contact with 2 other civilizations of that time, i.e. Indian and Chinese Civilizations. Indians were good at Maths and Theoretical sciences and Chinese were good at Applied sciences. 

How ever, this does not under mine the contribution done by Arab, Turkish and other Philosophers. 

05:05 PM Aug 29 2009 |

samsiami

samsiami

Saudi Arabia

Carrying out the same principle as MemoTheHun has done, atheism is a belief, too.

Whether scientists could disapprove religious beliefs or not, I guess everyone has his own principle that he would still be faithful to his belief, just as gkissberth. :) 

05:20 PM Aug 29 2009 |

javamanju

javamanju

India

@gkiss.

Here is a hypothetical Question > Would you change your Belief IF science proves existence of god?

05:43 PM Aug 29 2009 |

gkisseberth

Germany

@gkiss.

Here is a hypothetical Question > Would you change your Belief IF science proves existence of god?

Yes, I would. thank you for asking me instead of assuming, as Memo and samisiami do, that if science disproved atheism (i.e. proved the existence of a god) that I would continue to disbelieve.

Why is it that believers can't eem to even entertain such a hypothetical? Is it fear of some kind?  I was asked before to imagine that  god exists, and to imagine what he/she would be like. I'm able to do that, but I don't remember any beleivers being able to entertain the opposite supposition.

yes, gentlemen, my atheism can be called a belief. more accurately it is a lack of belief (specifically in gods). But such a belief or lack thereof is based on evidence, facts, or the lack of evidence or facts. Gien credible evidence, I would believe in Thor, Zeus, Allah, Xenu, or any of the myriad mythological beings proposed in human history.  

08:18 PM Aug 29 2009 |

samsiami

samsiami

Saudi Arabia

Oh, that's my point gkissberth, if scientists could disapprove my belief, I would certainly stop believing in it. Fortunately scientists seem to support my belief.

What can I do, I just can not help it.

08:54 PM Aug 29 2009 |

~MemoTheHun~

Germany

@JavaManU

Roman and Greek civilizations were very advanced scientifically. It is an extremely tall claim to say that they stole stuff from Quran.

in that case I have to say you have no idea JavaManju. What I said is proven and if you open at least a wikipedia page you will read everything about it.

BY THE WAY, I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT THE ANCIENT!!!  I AM TALKING ABOUT JUST BEFORE THE EUROPEAN RENAISSANCE.

Can you give some proper scientific theories and Proofs?

open www.google.com and type in science in middle ages or something like that

Also some claim that "Golden age" started only after Iran was completely Conquered.Iranians were great re-searchers and good at medicinal science. also,  Iran had good contact with 2 other civilizations of that time, i.e. Indian and Chinese Civilizations.

give the time you are talking pls.. is that 2000  b.C.???

Learn to listen if you dont know anything about the topic and then after you learned about it feel free to answer.

10:14 PM Aug 29 2009 |

~MemoTheHun~

Germany

@gkiss

Yes, I would. thank you for asking me instead of assuming, as Memo and samisiami do, that if science disproved atheism (i.e. proved the existence of a god) that I would continue to disbelieve.

I bet you know that many scientists are deists or theists. According to your saying you must just see dawkins as the only scientists in the world. 

Why is it that believers can't eem to even entertain such a hypothetical? Is it fear of some kind?

It is not fear. The existence of God is proven to us, so why do we need to make an illusion and say if science disproved the religious belief etc..?

I'm able to do that, but I don't remember any beleivers being able to entertain the opposite supposition.

I thought you were the 6-Atheist. :)  Your statement is wrong because there wouldn't be converts to other religions and beliefs if it was true. 

But such a belief or lack thereof is based on evidence, facts, or the lack of evidence or facts. 

Maybe you think that our world is far forward scientifically and tells us the truth. But remember we still don't know what is on Mars and remember we still don't know what is under 11 km in the ocean.  Even Darwin's theory of evolution isn't proven. So what evidences are you talking about? and what facts? 

10:42 PM Aug 29 2009 |

gkisseberth

Germany

Oh, that's my point gkissberth, if scientists could disapprove my belief, I would certainly stop believing in it.

You seem to be in the minority among god beleivers, but bravo for you. 

Fortunately scientists seem to support my belief.

What can I do, I just can not help it. 

If you know of scientific proof for the existence of a god (yours or any other) I would love to see it. Many scientists may believe in some god, but faith and evidence are not the same.  

10:49 PM Aug 29 2009 |