Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

would you still believe?

gkisseberth

Germany

Just for a moment, entertain the possibility that scientists could disprove a particular religious beleif. 

IF scientists disproved your religious belief, would you still continue to beleive, despite the scientific evidence against it?  

06:15 PM Aug 28 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

gkisseberth

Germany

I bet you know that many scientists are deists or theists. According to your saying you must just see dawkins as the only scientists in the world. 

Yes, I know that many are. Ask them WHY they believe and I also know most of them will not say because science has proven God's existence. They believe for the sme reasons you do. If the number of beleivers was somehow evidence of God's existence, then we would have to conclude that the Christian god is the real one. 

It is not fear. The existence of God is proven to us, so why do we need to make an illusion and say if science disproved the religious belief etc..?

it's a thought experiment. Can you stretch your mind to imagine something you think is unimaginable? Can your faith withstand a challenge to your worldview?  

I thought you were the 6-Atheist. :)  Your statement is wrong because there wouldn't be converts to other religions and beliefs if it was true. 

what statement is wrong? I said that believers don't seem to be able to imagine that god doesn't exist. That's different from just changing religions.

Maybe you think that our world is far forward scientifically and tells us the truth. But remember we still don't know what is on Mars and remember we still don't know what is under 11 km in the ocean. 

That's the cool thing about science is that we are learning more every day. Would you rather we just look to the Q'ran for knowledge about what's on Mars? What DOES it say about that, anyway?)

Even Darwin's theory of evolution isn't proven. So what evidences are you talking about? and what facts? 

Well, let's leave eolution to it's own threads, but as I said, my lack of belief in your god or others is based on a lack of evidence. Likewise,as I answered Java, with credible evidence, I would believe. 

11:05 PM Aug 29 2009 |

~MemoTheHun~

Germany

Yes, I know that many are. Ask them WHY they believe and I also know most of them will not say because science has proven God's existence. They believe for the sme reasons you do. If the number of beleivers was somehow evidence of God's existence, then we would have to conclude that the Christian god is the real one.

:D remember you are in the number of christians, too. so it is weird to believe such numbers. As I said "science" is not that far to research the ocean at first, so do you think it will prove God's existence?  And it also can't disprove it and your dawkins will not say because science has disproven God's existence. 

If you think about a DNA; if you think about that we humans are the only creatures which can use their brains and think;  if you think that the world is so formal; if you think that the world was 1 m far or nearer to the sun what would happen? etc.  these are proves for God. these are proves for any God i.e. not the Islamic God or Christian God but any God.

There is no doubt that God exists. 

what statement is wrong? I said that believers don't seem to be able to imagine that god doesn't exist. That's different from just changing religions.

why should I think about something stupid instead of something logical? If I ask you where do you come from you cant answer this question correctly but we can answer this question easily. why should I think that god doesnt exists although it really exists. It is like: I have a car  and I have to imagine that I dont have a car and go to school on foot. Is that useful?

That's the cool thing about science is that we are learning more every day. Would you rather we just look to the Qur'an for knowledge about what's on Mars? What DOES it say about that, anyway?

Yes, I would. But in a different way.  The Qur'an doesnt say what is on mars but it says that we should use our brains and research everything without going on a shirk. God wants us to learn everything by us because He wouldn't give us the brain if that wasn't true. 

If a Muslim says you "read the Qur'an" that doesnt mean that there is every kind of science and knowledge. But there are the keys to the science and everything in the Qur'an. But there is a rule: you need to use your brain and get the keys correctly. 

Well, let's leave eolution to it's own threads, but as I said, my lack of belief in your god or others is based on a lack of evidence. Likewise,as I answered Java, with credible evidence, I would believe.

If God showed you an evidence then you would believe? If you turn around and look at the sky and the environment, you can understand that you are in the world for something special. There were many proves of God in the history. I don't think the stories of the prophets are just tales..

11:21 PM Aug 29 2009 |

samsiami

samsiami

Saudi Arabia

If you know of scientific proof for the existence of a god (yours or any other) I would love to see it.

It would be my pleasure :)

Many scientists may believe in some god, but faith and evidence are not the same. 

Very true, "Francis Bacon, the famous philosopher, has rightly said that a little knowledge of science makes man an atheist, but an in-depth study of science makes him a believer in God. Scientists today are eliminating models of God, but they are not eliminating God."

Would you rather we just look to the Q'ran for knowledge about what's on Mars? What DOES it say about that, anyway?

" The Qur’an is not a book of Science, ‘S-C-I-E-N-C-E’ but a book of Signs ‘S-I-G-N-S’ i.e. a book of ayaats. The Qur’an contains more than 6,000 ayaats, i.e. ‘signs’, out of which more than a thousand speak about Science. It is not a trying to prove that the Qur’an is the word of God using scientific knowledge as a yardstick because any yardstick is supposed to be more superior than what is being checked or verified.

But for an educated man who is an atheist, scientific knowledge is the ultimate test which he believes in. It is known that science many a times takes ‘U’ turns, therefore let's have restricted the examples only to scientific facts which have sufficient proof and evidence and not scientific theories based on assumptions."

gkissberth, If a new object or a machine, which no one in the world has ever seen or heard of before, is shown to you or any other person and then a question is asked, " Who is the first person who will be able to provide details of the mechanism of this unknown object and operate it?" What would you say?

12:33 AM Aug 30 2009 |

javamanju

javamanju

India

in that case I have to say you have no idea JavaManju. What I said is proven and if you open at least a wikipedia page you will read everything about it.

If you think I do not have enough knowledge then please provide a link. 

BY THE WAY, I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT THE ANCIENT!!!  I AM TALKING ABOUT JUST BEFORE THE EUROPEAN RENAISSANCE.

Lots of events happened just before Renaissance, including Marco Polo's visit to China. Also I am not discounting the fact that Arabs/Turks did not have some influence on European renissance. "Influence" doesn't mean that Arabs/Turks did every thing and Europeans just stole it. 

open www.google.com and type in science in middle ages or something like that

Did that

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_in_the_Middle_Ages

from the same page

"In the Islamic World, the Middle Ages is known as the Islamic Golden Age, when Islamic civilization and Islamic scholarship flourished. This scholarship was aided by several factors. The use of a single language, Arabic, allowed communication without need of a translator. Translations of Greek texts from Egypt and the Byzantine Empire, and Sanskrit texts from India, provided Islamic scholars a knowledge base to build upon." 

give the time you are talking pls.. is that 2000  b.C.???

Read through the same link.. Science comes from research and great thinking and not by sitting in a cave  or under a tree

Learn to listen if you dont know anything about the topic and then after you learned about it feel free to answer. 

I listen to fact and not to arrogance 

06:10 AM Aug 30 2009 |

Souzou

Souzou

Algeria

I'lle still believe..and believe cause science can be wrong but the truth ….is simply the Truth

08:02 AM Aug 30 2009 |

fabs1

fabs1

United Kingdom

Don't scientists already seem to  'prove' that religion is all rubbish?

There is already the theory of evolution which is supposed by them to sufficiently explain all the differences between human beings and animals. 

There is plenty of scientific 'proof'  (or rather the argument is a lack of evidence in support) of biblical events.

Yet religion endures and grows.

04:22 PM Aug 30 2009 |

~MemoTheHun~

Germany

@java

in that case I have to say you have no idea JavaManju. What I said is proven and if you open at least a wikipedia page you will read everything about it.

If you think I do not have enough knowledge then please provide a link. 

BY THE WAY, I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT THE ANCIENT!!!  I AM TALKING ABOUT JUST BEFORE THE EUROPEAN RENAISSANCE.

Lots of events happened just before Renaissance, including Marco Polo's visit to China. Also I am not discounting the fact that Arabs/Turks did not have some influence on European renissance. "Influence" doesn't mean that Arabs/Turks did every thing and Europeans just stole it. 

open www.google.com and type in science in middle ages or something like that

Did that

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_in_the_Middle_Ages

from the same page

"In the Islamic World, the Middle Ages is known as the Islamic Golden Age, when Islamic civilization and Islamic scholarship flourished. This scholarship was aided by several factors. The use of a single language, Arabic, allowed communication without need of a translator. Translations of Greek texts from Egypt and the Byzantine Empire, and Sanskrit texts from India, provided Islamic scholars a knowledge base to build upon." 

give the time you are talking pls.. is that 2000  b.C.???

Read through the same link.. Science comes from research and great thinking and not by sitting in a cave  or under a tree

Learn to listen if you dont know anything about the topic and then after you learned about it feel free to answer. 

I listen to fact and not to arrogance

@ java

Roman and Greek civilizations were very advanced scientifically. It is an extremely tall claim to say that they stole stuff from Quran.

there is no need to answer in my words. You answer your comments with your comments. My arrogance is because you always act like a child. Not only in this post!

04:25 PM Aug 30 2009 |

javamanju

javamanju

India

Roman and Greek civilizations were very advanced scientifically. It is an extremely tall claim to say that they stole stuff from Quran.

I guess you did not see the sarcasm in the above sentence. How can any one copy from a book that will be written a few hundred years later. 

Besides, when I answer, It is not just you who read it there are others as well.  There are People here who claim that any thing and every thing in the world is taken from Quran 

My arrogance is because you always act like a child. Not only in this post! 

really.. A man however grown up he might be is always a child in the heart. 

04:54 PM Aug 30 2009 |

javamanju

javamanju

India

it is not only me who call the stupid Java child

Half of english baby calls you stupid and arrogant, Including the person who you are supporting right now. 

It is just a couple of religious fanatics who are calling me Stupid…. I can live with it 

04:55 PM Aug 30 2009 |

devindernagpal

India

Friends,

I have one question,

About 2000 years ago,Jesus came to this earth and christanity cmae afterwards,

About 1400 years back,Mohmmed came to this earth & islam came afterwards.

About 500 years back Goru Nanak came to this earth & sikh religion came afterwards.

all the names God,allah & waheguru are the invetions of man.If they were the creator of whole of this life ,where they have been before them.

All these Gods are beliefes just & their idea was dropped in our mind by the founders of the religions.

How can we imagine about the real creator? Is he dependent upon our words ? He must be some power words are just empty words.

The approach of Buddhha is much more scintific n& real than all other religions.

DJ,

You recognise your stupid brothers immedietly!!!!

What a wonderful insight you have ?A stupid feels everyone belongs to his class !!!!!!!!!!!!!1

07:11 PM Aug 30 2009 |