Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Koran verses 'appear' on skin of miracle Russian baby

gkisseberth

Germany

this is worse than the "miraculous" images of the Virgin Mary appearing in cheese sandwiches or the like. Here someone is using a baby to further their hoax.

Russians flock to see 'miracle' baby

(01:48) Report

Oct 24 – Pilgrims flock to see a 'miracle' baby in southern Russia's Dagestan whose skin appears to be a canvas for verses from the Koran.

video  

http://uk.reuters.com/news/video?videoId=113581

Koran verses 'appear' on skin of miracle Russian babyA "miracle" baby has brought hope to people in Russia's mostly Muslim southern fringe who are increasingly desperate in the face of Islamist violence. 

Published: 12:27AM BST 22 Oct 2009

Previous1 of 2 ImagesNextAli Yakubov: Koran verses 'appear' on skin of miracle Russian babyVerses from the Koran are said to appear and fade every few days on Ali Yakubov's skinPhoto: REUTERS

Thousands of pilgrims queued up this week in blazing sunshine to get a glimpse of 9-month-old baby Ali Yakubov, on whose body verses from the Koran are said to appear and fade every few days.

Pinkish in colour and several centimetres high, the Koranic verse "Be grateful to Allah" was printed on the infant's right leg in clearly legible Arabic script this week, religious leaders said. Visiting foreign journalists later saw a single letter after the rest had vanished.

"The fact that this miracle happened here is a signal to us to take the lead and help our brothers and sisters find peace," said Sagid Murtazaliyev, head of the Kizlyar region about 100 miles north of Makhachkala, the sprawling Dagestani capital on the Caspian Sea.

"We must not forget there is a war going on here," he told Muslim leaders who had invited the press to witness what they claim is a sign from God.

Islam in Russia is widely believed to have originated in ethnically rich Dagestan, where 3 million people speak over 30 languages and whose ancient walled city of Derbent claims to be Russia's oldest city.

A spate of recent suicide bombs and armed attacks on police and security services in Dagestan, Ingushetia and neighbouring Chechnya, where Russia has fought two separatist wars, has shattered a few years of relative calm in the North Caucasus.

Up to 2,000 pilgrims come daily to see the blue-eyed baby, whose pink brick house has become a shrine.

Green satin flags mark the way to the baby's modest family home in Kizlyar, a small town of lime-coloured mosques, cornfields and dirt roads whose dust bellows into the sky.

Dagestan's omnipresent armed police patrol the house while imams change photos of Yakubov's arms and legs covered in Arabic script from previous episodes to both jubilation and wails from the bustling crowd.

They say the fact Yakubov's 27-year-old father Shamil works in the police force – a regular target by militants – is proof of divine intervention.

Sayid Amirov, Makhachkala's influential mayor who has survived around a dozen attacks on his life since the mid-1990s, interpreted the recent buzz around the baby as a warning.

"What happened here is indeed a miracle, but this should also be a message to not take religion too far," he told reporters.

Authorities say Islamist extremism is as responsible for the growing violence as widespread poverty, and experts add the insurgency is also recruiting foreign al-Qaeda militants who seek an Islamic state in the north Caucasus.

Holding up his right foot where a single Arabic letter remained from the latest episode, Yakubov's 26-year-old mother Madina said she had no doubt the verses – which first appeared two weeks after birth – were connected to extremism.

"Allah is great and he sent me my miracle child to keep our people safe," she told Reuters.

Though divine "miracles" are common in Christianity – such as weeping icons and stigmata, bleeding wounds in the hands and feet similar to those of Christ – Islam rarely reports them.

08:52 PM Nov 05 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Whitney S

Whitney S

Colombia

that's interesting…

05:17 AM Nov 07 2009 |

osesame

osesame

Egypt

how do u deny what happened?
i think the russian media recorded what happened while ” images of the Virgin Mary appearing ” no proof for it though we didn’t need such boy to support the great signs of the creator, it is enough that precise system we live in! but that for who have balanced brian to thin!
i know u just paste that topic to make muslims replay u and refresh that site, or u will be fired from it if u don’t post topics…
so what is ur mind that we can share the salary by ur topics and our posts and comments , by that we will make for u a price in that site !!!!
hahahahahay….take it easy man :-)

06:39 PM Nov 20 2009 |

gkisseberth

Germany

how do u deny what happened?

because there is absolutely no evidence that these marks appeared on the baby's skin without human intervention.

What site am I working for? I need to contact them because they haven't been paying me. I appreciate you letting me know about this. I could use the extra money, and whatever I get, I will send you half. Deal? 

08:19 PM Nov 20 2009 |

osesame

osesame

Egypt

because there is absolutely no evidence that these marks appeared on the baby’s skin without human intervention.
I think it is just a guess from u..coz if it is so as u said, the media who spread that will not be silent about that, second this matter dosen’t increase or decrease their believe in the Creator, be sure of that!
About the other matter, ok deal!!! hand! :0

02:56 PM Nov 21 2009 |

gkisseberth

Germany

if there was evidence thst the marks appeared without anyone touching the baby, I'm certain the believers would have presented. The only thing thing they can offer is the word of the parents, who are benefiting, certainly, from their new found celebrity status.

As to whether it increases or decreases anyone's belief is of no matter to me. In contrast I am disgusted by the use of an innocent baby to delude probably equally innocent, though gullible, people.

10:38 PM Nov 21 2009 |

~MemoTheHun~

Germany

I think gkiss will turn to God by his 60s.. :))

11:45 PM Nov 21 2009 |

gkisseberth

Germany

maybe, but which god?  I always liked Thor. 

03:38 PM Nov 22 2009 |

osesame

osesame

Egypt

*I’m certain the believers would have presented. *
who told u that there is no present, when i read that news , they mentioned the that the home is full all the day, even the media came!!!!
btw, there is no need to delude any one coz the area is muslim area, then delude whom???!!!!!!!

05:15 PM Nov 22 2009 |

Mr. Pmosh

Mr. Pmosh

Dominican Republic

I found the face of allmigthy god in my cereal…... Ups sorry, it was just Captain Crunch!!

XD

07:55 PM Nov 22 2009 |

Mr. Pmosh

Mr. Pmosh

Dominican Republic

08:17 PM Nov 22 2009 |