Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Koran verses 'appear' on skin of miracle Russian baby

gkisseberth

Germany

this is worse than the "miraculous" images of the Virgin Mary appearing in cheese sandwiches or the like. Here someone is using a baby to further their hoax.

Russians flock to see 'miracle' baby

(01:48) Report

Oct 24 – Pilgrims flock to see a 'miracle' baby in southern Russia's Dagestan whose skin appears to be a canvas for verses from the Koran.

video  

http://uk.reuters.com/news/video?videoId=113581

Koran verses 'appear' on skin of miracle Russian babyA "miracle" baby has brought hope to people in Russia's mostly Muslim southern fringe who are increasingly desperate in the face of Islamist violence. 

Published: 12:27AM BST 22 Oct 2009

Previous1 of 2 ImagesNextAli Yakubov: Koran verses 'appear' on skin of miracle Russian babyVerses from the Koran are said to appear and fade every few days on Ali Yakubov's skinPhoto: REUTERS

Thousands of pilgrims queued up this week in blazing sunshine to get a glimpse of 9-month-old baby Ali Yakubov, on whose body verses from the Koran are said to appear and fade every few days.

Pinkish in colour and several centimetres high, the Koranic verse "Be grateful to Allah" was printed on the infant's right leg in clearly legible Arabic script this week, religious leaders said. Visiting foreign journalists later saw a single letter after the rest had vanished.

"The fact that this miracle happened here is a signal to us to take the lead and help our brothers and sisters find peace," said Sagid Murtazaliyev, head of the Kizlyar region about 100 miles north of Makhachkala, the sprawling Dagestani capital on the Caspian Sea.

"We must not forget there is a war going on here," he told Muslim leaders who had invited the press to witness what they claim is a sign from God.

Islam in Russia is widely believed to have originated in ethnically rich Dagestan, where 3 million people speak over 30 languages and whose ancient walled city of Derbent claims to be Russia's oldest city.

A spate of recent suicide bombs and armed attacks on police and security services in Dagestan, Ingushetia and neighbouring Chechnya, where Russia has fought two separatist wars, has shattered a few years of relative calm in the North Caucasus.

Up to 2,000 pilgrims come daily to see the blue-eyed baby, whose pink brick house has become a shrine.

Green satin flags mark the way to the baby's modest family home in Kizlyar, a small town of lime-coloured mosques, cornfields and dirt roads whose dust bellows into the sky.

Dagestan's omnipresent armed police patrol the house while imams change photos of Yakubov's arms and legs covered in Arabic script from previous episodes to both jubilation and wails from the bustling crowd.

They say the fact Yakubov's 27-year-old father Shamil works in the police force – a regular target by militants – is proof of divine intervention.

Sayid Amirov, Makhachkala's influential mayor who has survived around a dozen attacks on his life since the mid-1990s, interpreted the recent buzz around the baby as a warning.

"What happened here is indeed a miracle, but this should also be a message to not take religion too far," he told reporters.

Authorities say Islamist extremism is as responsible for the growing violence as widespread poverty, and experts add the insurgency is also recruiting foreign al-Qaeda militants who seek an Islamic state in the north Caucasus.

Holding up his right foot where a single Arabic letter remained from the latest episode, Yakubov's 26-year-old mother Madina said she had no doubt the verses – which first appeared two weeks after birth – were connected to extremism.

"Allah is great and he sent me my miracle child to keep our people safe," she told Reuters.

Though divine "miracles" are common in Christianity – such as weeping icons and stigmata, bleeding wounds in the hands and feet similar to those of Christ – Islam rarely reports them.

08:52 PM Nov 05 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Mr. Pmosh

Mr. Pmosh

Dominican Republic

Gkiss, you're right Ronald Mcdonald is the best God.

03:20 PM Nov 23 2009 |

konstka

konstka

Russian Federation

Yes, the house is full. Many people have seen the verses on the baby's skin. No witnesses (other than the parents) have reported to have seen the verses appear (only after the fact) No video, no credible eyewitnesses = no evidence.

It didn't happened once it have been happening for nine months from the baby's birth. Since a lot of people witnessed it, at least the doctors. Who you consider the credible eyewitnesses? You yourself? At the moment the text appears on the baby's body his temperature rises up to 40 degree! And doctors cannot bring it down. If you know the way how to achieve this phenomenon then maybe you share the recipe with us?

The baby was born eight-month. At the birth he had been diagnosed with ischemic heart disease and infantile cerebral paralysis. And now he's absolutely healthy. I think it may be confirmed with the documents from the hospital. Is it enough evidence for you?

Now the Dagestan's scientists research this phenomenon.

There're plenty of reasons, as I mentioned before. Money and attention being the biggest.

Gkiss, you probably mixed something up. They are not Americans who are ready to do anything to gain the money and attract attention. They are simple Dagestan people, living somewhere in the mountains.

05:27 PM Nov 23 2009 |

gkisseberth

Germany

I THINK U TUBE U WILL SEE THE VIDEO, WHICH U SAID NO ONE EXCEPT HIS PARENTS!!!!

Find it, osesame, and we can evaluate the authenticity.  Barring credible evidence, I will continue to assert that the best explanation is that the parents are duping the locals, probably benefiting financially, and abusing their child.

11:34 PM Nov 23 2009 |

gkisseberth

Germany

Yes, the house is full. Many people have seen the verses on the baby's skin. No witnesses (other than the parents) have reported to have seen the verses appear (only after the fact) No video, no credible eyewitnesses = no evidence.

It didn't happened once it have been happening for nine months from the baby's birth.

Length of time doesn't mean it's a miracle. It could have been faked for 9 months, I think quite easily.  

Since a lot of people witnessed it, at least the doctors. Who you consider the credible eyewitnesses? You yourself?

Perhaps some of the journalists or maybe someone who has seen the letters appear, not just seen them afterwards. A video would be a nice thing.  

At the moment the text appears on the baby's body his temperature rises up to 40 degree! And doctors cannot bring it down. If you know the way how to achieve this phenomenon then maybe you share the recipe with us?

The baby was born eight-month. At the birth he had been diagnosed with ischemic heart disease and infantile cerebral paralysis. And now he's absolutely healthy. I think it may be confirmed with the documents from the hospital. Is it enough evidence for you?

Evidence that sometimes diagnoses are wrong, or that sick people get better for unknown reasons. I see no reason to attribute these things to magic. And a "healthy" baby who has regular 40 degree temperatures isn't really healthy is he?

If the baby's skin is being irritated when the marks are made by whoever is doing this, then a fever might be reasonable to expect.  

There're plenty of reasons, as I mentioned before. Money and attention being the biggest.

Gkiss, you probably mixed something up. They are not Americans who are ready to do anything to gain the money and attract attention. They are simple Dagestan people, living somewhere in the mountains.

Simple people are certainly not beyond greed or other "sins" 

11:41 PM Nov 23 2009 |

cshhcs520

China

I think that I will give you the help that brings a living top.The beauty of our home town defends shoe.The friend, who need, contacts

12:19 AM Nov 24 2009 |

cshhcs520

China

I think that I will give you the help that brings a living top.The beauty of our home town defends shoe.The friend, who need, contacts me.cshhcs520(AT)hotmail.com

12:20 AM Nov 24 2009 |

Mr. Pmosh

Mr. Pmosh

Dominican Republic

Gkiss, let's say it is real for a moment. We know who we need to call. This a job for agent Fox Muller and Dana Scully… This is an X file.

Hey and relax, remember it is in Russia, the same people that tried to win the cold war with telepaty and psychokinesis, so this is serious sh**t

01:40 AM Nov 24 2009 |

osesame

osesame

Egypt

Gkiss
“Find it, osesame, and we can evaluate the authenticity. ”
i think u didn’t make that search…it is obvious!!!!

02:58 PM Nov 24 2009 |

konstka

konstka

Russian Federation

Perhaps some of the journalists or maybe someone who has seen the letters appear, not just seen them afterwards. A video would be a nice thing.

I can't be absolutely sure. Neither you nor me have exhaustive information about the case. Most likely there are such witnesses and probably a video, I guess. Usually, I'm skeptical about that sort of events, especially taking into account my attitude towards Islam, but in this case, in my view, there are too many direct and circumstantial evidences pointing out that it's true rather than a fake. I think it's silly to declare “It's impossible just because it can't be possible.” Of course, I may be wrong.

Evidence that sometimes diagnoses are wrong, or that sick people get better for unknown reasons.

It's possible. But I think it's unlikely, though. I mean wrong diagnose. By the way, what is an «unknown reasons», in your opinion? A miracle?

I see no reason to attribute these things to magic.

It's not a magic. It's something else.

And a "healthy" baby who has regular 40 degree temperatures isn't really healthy is he?

Everything is relative. I mean it's better to have temporary a fever than lifelong incurable disease; no?

If the baby's skin is being irritated when the marks are made by whoever is doing this, then a fever might be reasonable to expect.

You think they have been torturing their child for nine months??? I strongly doubt. Then why they have tortured the infant if they have an elder son? You think they are monsters? It's not in a tradition of Caucasus.

Yes, I agree with you. But it's a different case. Here, in Russia, they'll gain nothing from it except pain in the ass.

If it's a fake the only reason they are a religious fanatics. However, It doesn't look like that. As far as I heard it's a secular family. After all, who knows?

08:07 PM Nov 24 2009 |

gkisseberth

Germany

I can't be absolutely sure. Neither you nor me have exhaustive information about the case. Most likely there are such witnesses and probably a video, I guess.

No, I don't have exhaustive evidence, but if someone makes an extraordinary claim (as this surely is) they have an obligation to provide extraordinary evidence or rational people are going to be skeptical. Again I will contend that if such video evidence or eyewitness accounts existed, it would be quite unusual for them not to be put forth, since those who make the claim would naturally expect people to ask for evidence and want to prove themselves genuine.

, in my view, there are too many direct and circumstantial evidences pointing out that it's true rather than a fake. I think it's silly to declare “It's impossible just because it can't be possible.” Of course, I may be wrong.

Well, impossible and "cant be possible" are essentially the same thing, aren't they. However, I didn't say it was impossible. I will say that it's amazingly unlikely (would you agree?) and that lacking credible evidence, I would suspect it's a fake.  

Evidence that sometimes diagnoses are wrong, or that sick people get better for unknown reasons.

It's possible. But I think it's unlikely, though. I mean wrong diagnose. By the way, what is an «unknown reasons», in your opinion? A miracle?

An unknown reason is simply that: a reason that is unexplained or unknown. Obviously our knowledge of medicine is vast, but still incomplete and doctors are baffled by some things that the human body does.  

I see no reason to attribute these things to magic.

It's not a magic. It's something else.

writing from a book appearing on a baby's skin, willed there by someone's god.  One of my dictionaries gives one definition of magic as the use of special powers to make things happen which would usually be impossible, such as in stories for children

I think this fits.  

And a "healthy" baby who has regular 40 degree temperatures isn't really healthy is he?

Everything is relative. I mean it's better to have temporary a fever than lifelong incurable disease; no?

You think they have been torturing their child for nine months??? I strongly doubt. Then why they have tortured the infant if they have an elder son? You think they are monsters? It's not in a tradition of Caucasus.

It's not in the tradition of any people to abuse their children. And yet there are people who do it.  Yes, I think they are abusing this baby.

Yes, I agree with you. But it's a different case. Here, in Russia, they'll gain nothing from it except pain in the ass.

If it's a fake the only reason they are a religious fanatics. However, It doesn't look like that. As far as I heard it's a secular family. After all, who knows?

They could be secular (however this quote from the mother doesn't sound too secular: "Allah is great and he sent me my miracle child to keep our people safe," ) but so am I and if was going to commit such a hoax, I'd certainly uses verses from the Koran or whatever was the dominant religion in the area than, say, quotes from a fellow secularist. 

I think you should encourage your skepticism on this on Konstka. Those who are skeptical about this are not attacking (though they may question the parent's motives if it is a hoax) and it doesn't say anything bad about the rest of your countrymen.

09:13 PM Nov 24 2009 |