Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

What is your national(ethnic) food ?

mr.sarvar

mr.sarvar

Uzbekistan

What is your national(ethnic) 

Palov  I'm uzbek! Our national food's palov! About Palov…
For cooking a palov you need oil, rice, beef or mutton, carrot, onion, raisins, pea, garlic, caraway, salt, some water. These are main foods for cooking a palov. First of all you fry meat in oil then add onion. After 10 minutes frying add some water. Then add carrot cutting like a stick, and fry some else minutes. After it you add peas cooking in boiling water and raisins. After some minutes add rice. But before adding rice, it must be in boiling hot, salty water. Then you add salt as your taste and some water. After 10- 15 minutes there must not be water in palov, and only then your palov is ready.

06:43 AM Nov 16 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

zahraa flower

Algeria

Hello ,very nice subject.

Here is how to prepare 1 of the most popular dishes in Algeria"Tajine Zitoune""Olives Tajine".It can be prepared with chicken or lamb or both.Personaly i like it with chicken.

so…

1. In a pot, put oil, chicken pieces ,onion,salt,peper,cinnamon,few thyme stems,bay leaves.Cook over medium heat until the onions are translucent then add enough water to cover meat.

2. In a sauce pan, put the olives and cove with water.Let the olives boil for 5 mn (to not be too salty).Then put them aside .

3. When the chicken pieces are cooked ,add the olives and sliced carrots .Bring the sauce to a boil; cover the pot and cook until  the carrots and the olives are tender.The sauce should be slightly thick .To do that add some flour (2 big spoons).

4.To finish the dish , add 2 tbsp chopped parsley ,serve the dish accompanied with lemon wedges.Smile

03:55 PM Nov 16 2009 |

zahraa flower

Algeria

The National Food in Algeria and in other"Magreb Arabi" countries is"COUSCOUS"

These are some pictures of different ways to prepare this delicious dish.

04:13 PM Nov 16 2009 |

Sina16

Sina16

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

Hi,

thanks for your topic

i have had a post about our food here

you can check it out :

http://www.englishbaby.com/forum/LifeTalk/thread/311145?from_search_page=1

have a nice time

regards

04:39 PM Nov 16 2009 |

SantiagoC

SantiagoC

Uruguay

Nice topic! I'm an uruguayan, we don't have an ethnic food because uruguayans are not an ethnic group! we belong to different ethnic groups, specially european. But yes. we have typical dishes such as:

ASADO: Uruguayan are the people in the world who have more cow meat in the world (from 10 to 13 times a week)

We've got our national sandwich: CHIVITO

Our national drink is MATE (uruguayan tea)

An important desert is the ALFAJOR

There are a lot more uruguayan dishes, but i think these were the most important ones.

11:31 PM Nov 16 2009 |

zahraa flower

Algeria

Well come brother .

Smile

03:12 PM Nov 18 2009 |

javamanju

javamanju

India

There is no ethnic Food or National food. Roti and Chapati(Indian Bread) can be called one. But that is eaten mostly in the north of the country.

10:23 AM Nov 29 2009 |

Altn Ay

Altn Ay

Hey so NICE post:D

In Iran we have various kinds of ethnic foods becouse there are variouse ethos.

"Kabab" is the north west food,where i live:-)

we have it with "Dugh",a kind of drink.

I try to send the recipe laterrrr:-P

04:02 PM Nov 30 2009 |

Altn Ay

Altn Ay

Thank u for the salad recipe,Lela:-)

Dugh is a drinking that is made of yoghurt.

Here the recipe:

• 1 cup whole-milk yogurt, well beaten
  • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh mint or a dash of dried mint flakes, crushed
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 1/2 cups club soda or spring water, chilled

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Pour yogurt, mint, salt, and pepper into a pitcher. Stir well.
  2. Add club soda or spring water gradually, stirring constantly. Add 3 or 4 ice cubes and mix again.
  3. Serve chilled.

02:43 PM Dec 02 2009 |