Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

When u feel depressed, what will u do 2 overcome it?

Efri Shan

Efri Shan

Indonesia

Sometimes, when we got a problem, we felt depressed. So, how to overcome it in order we can feel better?

12:45 AM Dec 20 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

everything_gone

Australia

well dont feel depressed at all…life is short..so enjoy every moment of life ..dont waste even a single second…childhood gone….passed teenage life….grown as an adult now…so let me live my life for a moment…give me some rain..give me some sunshine..give me a chance wanna grow up again…cheers…happy new year everyone..

08:44 PM Dec 31 2009 |

Saladeen

Saladeen

Pakistan

There was a person who was in problem or some kind of mild depression, he went to dummy spiritual master and that dummy master recommended for him not to think ever about monkeys. After coming back from him the person used every method not to think about monkeys but he envisaged about monkeys so intensely and with so much passion, to avoid monkeys ; in his dreams, in his thinking, while taking breakfast, in the bathroom and while having conversation with anyone… he was so confused, so puzzled and deluded that finally he thought, he had never thought about monkeys so desperately before the advice of that dummy spiritual master and after getting advice from him, monkeys live everywhere … "why in the first place he focused me into monkey business to avoid? and instead of helping me to tear off my depression, the depression proliferated more rapidly than monkeys themselves – like somebody had fired monkey-atom bomb into my nerves"  ...Laughing    

The more you will be looking for depression-techniques the more it will grow like monkeys…Laughing

So, the answer to your question :

When u feel depressed, what will u do 2 overcome it? 

Never seek advice on depressions and trust on healing power of time and experience.

07:11 AM Mar 17 2010 |

Atlas Lion

Atlas Lion

United Arab Emirates

run a way ,,

07:48 AM Mar 17 2010 |

MsX

MsX

Russian Federation

Such a funny story about monkeys, Saladeen. Laughing

In order to overcome your depression, try to solve the problem which has caused your depression. If it's impossible, there are two other cures: 1) to fight fire with fire, 2) rely on time which is the best healer.

08:23 AM Mar 17 2010 |

Saladeen

Saladeen

Pakistan

MsX: Thanks for appreciation! Someone narrated that story long ago to me and after glancing through the title of the forum, it resurfaced again after long time, and I thought it would be suitable to post it here …Smile

By the way what do you mean by fight fire with fire, will you explain please? ... 

Something like if one has depression, he can kill it through by indulging into some other kind of depression, is something like that, isn't it? ... Smile

1+1=0 Smile Maybe impossible for mathematician but feelings of depression is something opposite of mathematics … Laughing

07:50 AM Mar 18 2010 |

MsX

MsX

Russian Federation

Saladeen, to fight fire with fire means like cures like.

For example:

If you get a cold, how can you cure yourself? By the cold, of course, or to be more exact, by conditioning yourself to the cold.

If depression is caused by an unanswered love, the best way to overcome it is to fall in love with somebody else who will share your feelings.  

I am sure there is a similar idiom in your language too, Saladeen, isn't there? Laughing

From the point of view of maths it will be:

-1+1= Laughing (happy again)

-1 – is something negative

+1 – the same but positive

All we need is only to change a vector. Smile

To kill depression by another depression is also possible. It's called shock therapy. But it's not to my liking. Frown

10:18 AM Mar 18 2010 |

Saladeen

Saladeen

Pakistan

Msx, thanks for your lovely explanation – shock-therapy is really shocking …Smile  

Yes, we do have similar idioms in our language, something like;

Iron cuts Iron …

Tooth for tooth …

Eye for eye … 

Betrayal for betrayal …

We can also include Homeopathic version, to fire with fire, that's, ' law of similar and potentization':

For example: A person who chops an onion can develop watery eyes, a runny nose, sneezing, coughing, and throat irritation from exposure to the onion’s active substances. The homeopathic remedy, made of potentized red onion, can help the body overcome a cold or allergy attack in which the person has similar symptoms (watery eyes, runny nose, sneezing, coughing, or throat irritation.) The actual symptoms of the illness were not caused by exposure to an onion, but the remedy made from the onion can help the body overcome them, because the symptoms are similar.

Laughing

Than we also have :

If the mountain is high there is way to it!

07:39 AM Mar 20 2010 |

MsX

MsX

Russian Federation

Thank you, Saladeen. One more proof that there's not so much difference between people and the ways they express their thoughts.

In Russia we usually use the idiom close to English "one nail drives out another", but instead of the word "nail" we have "wedge". This expression has a positive meaning, while the meaning of "eye for eye", "tooth for tooth" is rather negative.

Your example with an onion is good. It's the same as to cure a person bitten by a snake with medicines containing snake's poison.

Another similar idiom:

...I took a hair of the dog that bit me instead of breakfast and I'm much better…

Laughing

11:24 AM Mar 20 2010 |

Saladeen

Saladeen

Pakistan

MsX: Yes, that's very true people are same everywhere, and every idiom, and proverb have similar version in each language:

Even eye for eye and tooth for tooth can be modified into better versions:

Eye for an eye-transplant.

Tooth for a tooth-transplant.

Smile

11:56 AM Mar 20 2010 |