Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Quran on Mountains

gkisseberth

Germany

Allah says:

(Have We not made the earth as a bed, and the mountains as pegs?) (78:6-7)

Scientists explain the importance of mountains as being pegs which stabilize the earth saying:

'Mountains have underlying roots. These roots are deeply embedded in the ground, thus, mountains have a shape like a peg. The earth's crust is thirty to sixty kilometers deep, this being known due to the seismograph. Also, it is known due to this machine that every mountain has an underlying root, which stabilizes the crust of the earth with the underlying layers, and prevents the earth from shaking. Therefore, the mountain is similar to a nail, which holds different pieces of wood together.'32

Allah says: (And He has affixed into the earth, mountains standing firm, lest it should shake with you; and rivers and roads, that you may guide yourselves.) (16:15)

03:49 PM Jan 11 2010 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Mr. Pmosh

Mr. Pmosh

Dominican Republic

So moutain do not exist?

08:52 PM Jan 11 2010 |

gkisseberth

Germany

sure they do. I see the Andes every day.

09:02 PM Jan 11 2010 |

gkisseberth

Germany

well, crap. My University is gonna be crushed if these mountains collapse. 

04:38 AM Jan 12 2010 |

gkisseberth

Germany

The verse states that mountains perform the function of preventing shocks in the Earth. This fact was not known by anyone at the time the Qur'an was revealed. It was, in fact, brought to light only recently, as a result of the findings of modern geological research.

well, Fizz, the reason this wasn't know is that it's not true. Mountains don't have a purpose. They simply ARE. And far from preventing "shocks" most are the result of the very movements of the Earth that cause those shocks.  

We placed firmly embedded mountains on the earth, so it would not move under them…

and how's that working out so far?

10:11 PM Jan 12 2010 |

Mr. Pmosh

Mr. Pmosh

Dominican Republic

As the 7.3 earthquake just happend in the Caribbean.

01:08 AM Jan 13 2010 |

gkisseberth

Germany

Written by Fraser Cain

Kesley Grammer is a geologist?  :)

I must have missed the part where it said the mountains were placed to prevent movement of the earth.  Bah… science hurts  

02:12 AM Jan 13 2010 |

NAJLA

NAJLA

Saudi Arabia

and why should you worry about what Quran say about mountains?!

Yes,everything just happened by chance ,by nature .. even your brains is developed from monkeys :P

03:58 AM Jan 13 2010 |

gkisseberth

Germany

well, Najla, I personally don't care what the Quran says about mountains unless someone tries to claim that it's somehow science, which it isn't. 

Your second paragraph is also not science.

04:10 AM Jan 13 2010 |

~MemoTheHun~

Germany

well, gkiss,

if you just read some more verses from the Qur'an about the earth then you wouldnt claim something stupid than this. 

I knew that something stupid will follow the topic. 

First you need to read and understand the whole Qur'an to know what Islam is.

Without that you wouldnt know anything about Islam. 

04:55 AM Jan 13 2010 |

gkisseberth

Germany

exactly what I need to do to learn more about science: read a book full of nonsense. 

02:08 AM Jan 14 2010 |