Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Does she deserve it?

mr. bean

mr. bean

Saudi Arabia

Hi everybody, I would like to tell about a strange event that happened to me.One day, I was walking on the street then I saw a poor girl wearing dirty clothes. She was about twelve years old. She asked me to give her some money. As a kind of mercy, I give her about five us dollars immediately. After that, she went to a a dvd store then I saw her walking out with a dvd movies. I shucked when I saw her doing that.So what would you do if you were in my place? Do you think she deserve the money I give her or not?  I am waiting your comments dear friends. 

04:10 PM Mar 14 2010 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

mr. bean

mr. bean

Saudi Arabia

thank you miss Ulya aga for your comment. I agree that 5 dollars is not big matter, and I'm not regret to donate but I think she shoud buy food or clothes rather than movies.

thank you miss aliyatul_hikmah for your reaction. Actually poor people usually buy  food or clothes not movies. Now, I don't trust poor people any more. 

09:21 PM Mar 14 2010 |

Mia★

Mia★

Iraq

I don't think you should feel bad about giving the money even if it were a small amount. Initially, you felt that that little girl needed it. It's not your responsibility if she bought something else with it but it was the kindness of your heart that gave her the money in the first place. If you felt that she needed food you could have gone to a supermarket and got her something to eat. I don't think that she should be judged just for buying a DVD. Poor people don't only want food, and seeing that she is only a 12 year old girl she probably wanted that movie more than anything in the world =)

02:03 AM Mar 15 2010 |

Atlas Lion

Atlas Lion

United Arab Emirates

What do think U need 2 do ,

nothing , U did a favor, that's it I hope all people like U.

if she lied , this is her fault , she wil be responsible on the judge date

06:49 AM Mar 15 2010 |

tomjan

tomjan

Poland

I'm never giving money in such situation. Usually I'm buying bread&butter&milk.

but giving something (money or any goods) is always the worst solutions because it never solve the real problem.  The best is to make this person committed in changing his/her life. For example to give not goods but job. If he/she is poor because he/she can nothing it is good to learn some profession. ok,ok I know that it is not simple and in many situation impossible. the worst scenario  – when such situation concern the child…

I'm only saying that giving is bad solution…

tom

12:57 PM Mar 15 2010 |

MsX

MsX

Russian Federation

What's wrong in the fact that the girl bought a DVD? It would have been really bad if she had spent money on alcohol or narcotic drugs as it often happens. A DVD would do harm neither to her body nor soul (though, I admit, it depends on the contents). Maybe at that moment it was more important for her than a loaf of bread. Why are you disappointed, mr. bean? Because your expectations were deceived?

02:39 PM Mar 15 2010 |

Saladeen

Saladeen

Pakistan

Those who deserve never asks, it is better to give something before someone ask for something by inquiring about the level of their genuine needs.

How the forces of nature work to help us?

The forces of nature help us before our asking, and without keeping record of either we deserve or we don't… There are so many people who have so much in abundance but natural forces provides them sunshine, air to breath, rain for survival without keeping either they afford it or they don't, nature works from different ways, without judging. There is saying that if giving hurts you than your giving will not give you any mental or spiritual benefit, it only gives benefit when we don't feel neither joy nor hurt. For feeling joy is having ego of superiority and the ego of superiority is having its roots in arrogance. 

Most of the time we act from our sub-conscious, unthinking mind so things like this happens and sometimes we give to someone undeserving but the actual force behind giving is good intention to help and after giving we must not to keep any regret because it ruins the process of giving. The G-d only needs your good intention and don't keep any record of your misjudgments.  

So, the remedy can be conscious giving attitude rather unconscious giving which sometimes ruin the process of giving like making question… 'does she deserves or she doesn't?' I think this question is meaningless after giving, now you can't have it back, can you!... maybe she had purchased a DVD regarding how to be employed or how to make money… Maybe G-d sent her to you to have that DVD and having inspired from some act to be independent… we don't know twist and turns of life and thinking….

07:45 AM Mar 16 2010 |

MsX

MsX

Russian Federation

Just a short story about buying food instead of giving money which happened two years ago to one of my acquaintances in a food shop:

A little boy came up to him and asked money for bread. Sticking to the same point of view that it's better to buy food than to give money, my acquaintance bought a loaf of bread and gave it to the boy. What do you think was the boy's reaction? He got angry and threw the bread on the floor saying "Eat your bread yourself!"

12:23 PM Mar 16 2010 |

ALHAMED

ALHAMED

Saudi Arabia

It's your mistake man despite you are a good person.

If I were in your place I would ask her about the kind of movies she bought, it might be deserved to ask people fo money haha :)

03:36 PM Mar 16 2010 |

mr. bean

mr. bean

Saudi Arabia

I am really grateful for all of you. Your comments pleased me too much. 

Some of you said: why don't you ask her What will she do with the money? Actually, this is not the first time for me to donate and it won't be the last god willing. When I donate I never question people, where will they spend the money and why? these kinds of questions  may hurt their feelings. A person who pretends in need and lie , is considered as a thief. I think that it is difficult to distinguish between poor  and thief. So  I advice you all to not donate to any one you don't know. In my opinion, the best way to donate is through the official charities that know who is really in need. 

08:41 PM Mar 16 2010 |