Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Why is the eating of pork forbidden in Islam?

mo on

mo on

India

PORK FORBIDDEN

The fact that consumption of pork is prohibited in Islam is well known. The following points explain various aspects of this prohibition:

1. Pork prohibited in Qur’an

The Qur’an prohibits the consumption of pork in no less than 4 different places. It is prohibited in 2:173, 5:3, 6:145 and 16:115.

"Forbidden to you (for food) are: dead meat, blood, the flesh of swine, and that on which hath been invoked the name of other than Allah." [Al-Qur’an 5:3]

The above verses of the Holy Qur’an are sufficient to satisfy a Muslim as to why pork is forbidden.

2. Pork prohibited in the Bible

The Christian is likely to be convinced by his religious scriptures. The Bible prohibits the consumption of pork, in the book of Leviticus

"And the swine, though he divide the hoof, and be cloven footed, yet he cheweth not the cud; he is unclean to you".

"Of their flesh shall ye not eat, and their carcass shall ye not touch, they are unclean to you."

[Leviticus 11:7-8]

Pork is also prohibited in the Bible in the book of Deuteronomy

"And the swine, because it divideth the hoof, yet cheweth not the cud, it is unclean unto you. Ye shall not eat of their flesh, nor touch their dead carcass."

[Deuteronomy 14:8]

A similar prohibition is repeated in the Bible in the book of Isaiah chapter 65 verse 2-5.

3. Consumption of pork causes several diseases

The other non-Muslims and atheists will agree only if convinced through reason, logic and science. Eating of pork can cause no less than seventy different types of diseases. A person can have various helminthes like roundworm, pinworm, hookworm, etc. One of the most dangerous is Taenia Solium, which is in lay man’s terminology called tapeworm. It harbours in the intestine and is very long. Its ova i.e. eggs, enter the blood stream and can reach almost all the organs of the body. If it enters the brain it can cause memory loss. If it enters the heart it can cause heart attack, if it enters the eye it can cause blindness, if it enters the liver it can cause liver damage. It can damage almost all the organs of the body.

Another dangerous helminthes is Trichura Tichurasis. A common misconception about pork is that if it is cooked well, these ova die. In a research project undertaken in America, it was found that out of twenty-four people suffering from Trichura Tichurasis, twenty two had cooked the pork very well. This indicates that the ova present in the pork do not die under normal cooking temperature.

4. Pork has fat building material

Pork has very little muscle building material and contains excess of fat. This fat gets deposited in the vessels and can cause hypertension and heart attack. It is not surprising that over 50% of Americans suffer from hypertension.

5. Pig is one of the filthiest animals on earth

The pig is one of the filthiest animals on earth. It lives and thrives on muck, faeces and dirt. It is the best scavenger that I know that God has produced. In the villages they don’t have modern toilets and the villagers excrete in the open air. Very often excreta is cleared by pigs.

Some may argue that in advanced countries like Australia, pigs are bred in very clean and hygienic conditions. Even in these hygienic conditions the pigs are kept together in sties. No matter how hard you try to keep them clean they are filthy by nature. They eat and enjoy their own as well as their neighbour’s excreta.

6. Pig is the most shameless animal

The pig is the most shameless animal on the face of the earth. It is the only animal that invites its friends to have sex with its mate. In America, most people consume pork. Many times after dance parties, they have swapping of wives; i.e. many say "you sleep with my wife and I will sleep with your wife." If you eat pigs then you behave like pigs. We Indians look upon America to be very advanced and sophisticated. Whatever they do, we follow after a few years. According to an article in Island magazine, this practice of swapping wives has become common in the affluent circles of Bombay.

06:02 PM Apr 12 2010 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Monique Fernandes

Brazil

I'll tell you why in Christianity the consumption of pork is not forbidden. (In the Seventh-Day Adventist Church it is forbidden)

In the New Testament there's a part with this:

"And he called the multitude, and said unto them, Hear, and understand: Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man." Matthew 15:10-11

and

"And Jesus said, Are ye also yet without understanding? Do not ye yet understand, that whatsoever entereth in at the mouth goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught?" Matthew 15:16-17

PS. I'm not allowed to eat it hehe =P I'm just showing the reason for it being accepted in Christianity.

02:33 AM Apr 13 2010 |

fabs1

fabs1

United Kingdom

The Islamic reasons for not eating pork are extreme to say the least.

Jews do not consume pork, because it's a ritually unclean animal. Not because a pig (apparently, I would need more evidence for this) invites other pigs to have sex with its mate, or because its unhealthy (whether or not it is, I can't confirm).

Going on and shouting about how horrible and evil pigs are, I think makes a mockery of creation.

Ultimately, the reason why Muslims don't consume pork is because their religion, Islam, is a derivative religion that copies many of its ideas from Judaism, including the bare minimum of 'Kashrut', the Jewish dietary laws.

03:42 AM Apr 13 2010 |

mo on

mo on

India

To monique

The Bible summarizes the "clean" foods as such: "You may eat any animal that has a split hoof completely divided in two and that chews the cud." verse 6. If we move down to verse 8, we read: "The pig is also unclean; although it has a split hoof, it does not chew the cud, You are not to eat their meat or touch their carcasses." There is a whole section dealing with the clean and unclean animals, and if anyone is interested, they can find this section at Deuteronomy 14:3-21.

If any body say that this is the law of Moses then what Jesus say:

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished." Mat. 5:17-20. So we read here that the Law and the Prophets were still in effect, and will remain so "until everything is accomplished." We also read that Law will stay in effect "until heaven and earth disappear."

Jesus (as) was sent "only to the lost sheep of Israel." Matt. 15:24

08:21 AM Apr 13 2010 |

mo on

mo on

India

Nu Pogodi

That's Zakir Naik, what a dumbfuck.

he is naik, the question arise here is that christian have no answer about naik and deedat. both are well verse in comaparitive knowledge.

like deoband we respect our akabiren and there fatwa, the fatwa is correct about naik which is give by deoband.

naik is have not the knowlege of islamic fique and not have any decree to give fatwaa 

but question is arise what was written in bible is fasle

if bible says dont eat pork ? so why eat?

second is there is many logical answer, that scientifically prove that consumption is pork is unhealthy for human. 

i hope u understand bible, and scientific refencees.

08:36 AM Apr 13 2010 |

Dissipator

Dissipator

Ukraine

The other non-Muslims and atheists will agree only if convinced through reason, logic and science.

You have nothing of those mentioned. Go back to school and try to read something else in your life other than Koran, you moron.

The pig is one of the filthiest animals on earth. It lives and thrives on muck, faeces and dirt.

Pigs have a very little amount of sweat-glands, which means they cannot stand high ambient temperatures. They need to cover their tiny skin with mud to protect it from overheating and burns.

A person can have various helminthes like roundworm, pinworm, hookworm, etc.

It must be a surprise for you but you can get helminthiasis not only from eating pork. Fish, beef, veal etc. are risky  too.

Eating of pork can cause no less than seventy different types of diseases.

You mentioned only helminthiasis. I am eager to hear the rest 69. And, please, put more terrible details into descriptions, like "Its ova i.e. eggs, enter the blood stream and can reach almost all the organs of the body. If it enters the brain it can cause memory loss. If it enters the heart it can cause heart attack, if it enters the eye it can cause blindness, if it enters the liver it can cause liver damage. It can damage almost all the organs of the body". Wooo, so scary.

Pork has very little muscle building material and contains excess of fat.

Which proves once again you have no idea what you are talking about. For your information, mutton which you Muslims love sooo much is the most fat meat of all (26%) and the most high-calorie meat (307 kcal.).

They eat and enjoy their own as well as their neighbour’s excreta.

Coprophagy is very widespread among animals. There are dozens of reasons and explainations to that. For the last time, get educated.

The pig is the most shameless animal on the face of the earth. It is the only animal that invites its friends to have sex with its mate.

Oh, this part I like the best. And who is the shiest animal if you have that statistics, huh? Today I saw a dog peeing right on the street. Where were its manners? So shameless…

08:38 AM Apr 13 2010 |

osesame

osesame

Egypt

Eating pork is harmful to health in a great many regards. This harm still persists today, despite all the precautions that are taken. First and foremost, no matter how clean the farms and environments on which it is raised may be, the pig is not by nature a clean-living animal. It often plays in, and even eats, its own excrement. Due to this and its biological structure, the pig produces much higher levels of antibodies in its body than other animals. In addition, far higher levels of growth hormone are produced in the pig compared to those in other animals and human beings. Naturally, these high levels of antibodies and growth hormone pass across to and collect in the pig’s muscle tissue. Pork meat also contains high levels of cholesterol and lipids. It has been scientifically proven that these significant amounts of antibodies, hormones, cholesterol and lipids in pork represent a serious threat to human health.

08:44 AM Apr 13 2010 |

~MemoTheHun~

Germany

Thanks Brother, I will read it

09:44 AM Apr 13 2010 |