Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Swedish Prophet Muhammad cartoonist 'head-butted'

fabs1

fabs1

United Kingdom

A Swedish artist who created an international furore by depicting the Prophet Muhammad as a dog was assaulted as he delivered a university lecture.

Lars Vilks says he was head-butted by an audience member as he spoke about the limits of artistic freedom.

The cartoonist's glasses were broken, but he was not injured.

Mr Vilks has been threatened on numerous occasions, but the assault at Uppsala University was the first time he has been physically attacked.

<!- E SF ->

The artist said a group of about 15 people had been shouting and trying to interrupt the lecture, which was attended by about 250 people.

"A man ran up and threw himself over me. I was head-butted and my glasses were broken," Mr Vilks was quoted as saying by the AP news agency.

A video clip of the attack was posted on the website of a Swedish newspaper.

It showed police using pepper spray and batons to control an angry crowd shouting "God is great" in Arabic as Mr Vilks was led away. Two people were detained.

Earlier this year, Mr Vilks was the target of an alleged murder plot involving Colleen LaRose, an American who called herself "Jihad Jane".

She has pleaded not guilty, but faces life in prison if convicted.

In 2007, a group linked to al-Qaeda in Iraq offered a $100,000 (£66,000) reward for killing Mr Vilks, and a 50% bonus if he was "slaughtered like a lamb" by having his throat cut.

The Vilks cartoon was published about a year-and-a-half after a series of depictions of the Prophet Muhammad in Denmark's Jyllands-Posten paper caused protests by Muslims around the world.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8676351.stm

Youtube video of attack aftermath:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oLvwMxwHFs&feature=player_embedded#!

--------------

OPINION:

The Islamic answer to free speech as usual. Violence amid terroristic shouts of 'Allahu Akhbar'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oLvwMxwHFs&feature=player_embedded#!

If these people, most of them European Muslims, don't like a society where people are free to express their opinions, then they should probably return to the garbage dumps that their parents abandoned in favour of free, rich Europe.  Protest yes, violence no.

Before anyone asks:

No, I don't agree with people painting pictures of the Prophet Muhammed as a pig as it is clearly meant to provoke Muslims in a very low, below-the-belt way . But what I HATE much more, are Muslims dictating to other people what they can say, write and draw within their own countries.

I especially hate these people when they claim they have no freedom of speech in Europe when clearly they do, and they use it on a regular basis to deprive a platform from others.

What's even more infuriating is the hypocrisy that goes on in the Muslim world, where a few cartoons of Mohammed cause people to come out into the streets with outrage, while their media randomly demonizes Jews and Americans on a regular basis:

03:57 AM May 12 2010 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

fabs1

fabs1

United Kingdom

You ask us to not post topics about Islam !!!

But you allow yourself to post what you want !!!

Did other members stop posting about Islam yet? I can't see it.

It's the news.  It's current events.

I'll make you a deal. When Muslims and terrorist groups stop committing acts of terror and violence, I'll stop posting about them, deal?

02:36 PM May 12 2010 |

ambitious rody

Egypt

i think u insist on annoying us

but i wanna tell u it didn't work at all. ur posts are so boring.

try again .i think it will be helpful to u.

10:07 PM May 12 2010 |