Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

What do you know about global warming??Causes, effects??

wings_of_a_butterfly

Turkey

You know it s so hot nowadays and its not normal, one of the reason of this situation is global warming..how can we decrease the effects??Lets share ideas…

11:17 PM Aug 14 2010 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

iwanebel

Indonesia

yeah, nowadays global warming is not only the issue, but it really happens . for the evidence, in my country the weather is unbalance. actually it's time for summer but the fact proofs that sometimes rain is falling down. and many more facts happen in this world. and the good solution is let's keep awareness to go green..

10:04 AM Aug 15 2010 |

wings_of_a_butterfly

Turkey

DEAR RYO

Thnx for ur advises:) You are generally talking about personal prevention methods:) According to this topic i wanna give some informations about Global Warming prevention method .

The Power Plants which are generate electric by fuel, coal makes air pollution and this causes global warming. When i was 4 th class in Chemical engineering, me and my classmates made some searches and projects about it. The CO2 which comes from power plants can be reduced by membrane systems. when we set up some special system we can keep the CO2 and store it to save the nature and Global warming.

04:02 PM Aug 15 2010 |

dr3w

dr3w

United States

Global warming has to do with changes in the upper atmosphere which cause more of the sun's heat to be trapped on Earth instead of being radiated back into space.  These changes are believed to have to do with CO2, chlorofluorocarbons and damage to the ozone layer.  

One solution is to encourage green plants.  Trees and especially forests suck up large amounts of CO2 and give off oxygen in exchange.  Another solution is to reduce pollution, especially from coal which burns very dirty.

In the long term, one big problem is desertification (the spreading of the desert).  When areas on the edge of the desert are over-grazed, and animal droppings are gathered and burned instead of nourishing the soil, and too much water is used by people and animals instead of plants, and last but not least, heavy animals are walked over the dirt and leave behind depressions in which grass doesn't grow as well, all of this can break up the living parts of the soil and leave only desert behind.  The more land that is desert, the hotter it gets and the less heat is reflected back into space.  This is even worse with lots of urban areas, parking lots, roadways, etc. because the concrete and asphalt sucks up the heat instead of reflecting it the way soil does. 

08:34 PM Aug 15 2010 |

reyhaneh

reyhaneh

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

nice topic

as all of u see there`s a unbalance in environment in the whole world but why?

coz of human improper interferes

Nature has it`s own order & everything is in a perfect system but we r changing this arrangement with our selfishness!

If u watch news, there r many Natural disasters in the world, disastrous flood in Pakistan & China, wildfire in Russia, oil disaster in U.s,....

so what`s happen to our earth?

instead of afforestation we have desertification!!!!!!!!

then face with it`s difficulties like what we have in Iran nowdays coz of dust which rises from Iraq & some other arab countries deserts!

10:50 PM Aug 15 2010 |

konstka

konstka

Russian Federation

Now I know that Global warming is an effect of climatic weapon being used by the US.

09:45 AM Aug 17 2010 |

pennyying

China

experts said they were not sure whether global warming has come or not. but we can see the climate is abnormal. 

06:20 AM Aug 18 2010 |

konstka

konstka

Russian Federation

Do tell, droogie. Laughing

Yes, that is what our media reported. I would have scarcely believed but it was reported by the central channel. I'm confused. Laughing  

This should be good. Is it what Andrei Areshev said?

Not only. The headlines read.

A climatic weapon was used against Russia.

http://svpressa.ru/society/article/28154/

Does the USA test a climatic weapon on Russia?

http://news.km.ru/ssha_ispytyvayut_na_rossii_klima

Didn't the mayor of Moscow say he could prevent snow last winter?

Why said? He did.

The fewer we interfere in the weather the better it is.

At work somewhere in Siberia. Laughing

Is it an engineer Garin?  Laughing

07:55 PM Aug 18 2010 |

konstka

konstka

Russian Federation

And yet you say the U.S. is doing this?Surprised

And the US as well.  Smile

But cloud seeding can be fun.

But driving them away can be sorrowful.

Erast Pavlovich Garin?

No, Petr Petrovich.  Laughing

Haven't you read The Hyperboloid of Engineer Garin by Tolstoy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Garin_Death_Ray 

Your picture reminded me how he extracted gold.

05:03 AM Aug 22 2010 |

konstka

konstka

Russian Federation

Oh,yeah, these illustrated magazines, they are so interesting, informative and educational.  Laughing

06:47 AM Aug 23 2010 |

Saladeen

Saladeen

Pakistan

Few days ago I received an email from one of my friend and she recommended a book on this subject by Dr Hansen, we can learn about climate crisis science in the book, 'Storms of My Grandchildren: The Truth About the Coming Climate Catastrophe and our last chance to save humanity'.

Dr Hansen explains all the climatic-jargon in layman terms. Dr Hansson is the recognized US authority in this field. Below is the link for introduction from Dr Hansen.

Pakistan is the recent example of climatic changes, we received the most fatal floods in the history of our country. Please, help save our planet, I think that can be the only issue which can unite whole the world from overcoming such a peril future.

http://www.stormsofmygrandchildren.com/beyond_the_book.html

07:54 AM Aug 23 2010 |