Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Question Of A Girl: What if...?

Dorothee

Dorothee

Germany

Here's some question that has been bugging me (and maybe several other members too) for quite a long time now: If there's someone writing annoying comments in our public chats there usually is an admin who can tell this user off, but alas it happens more often that users start getting insulting (or other things) only when they chat with someone privately. I know you can just ignore this member, but I guess then he/she will just go on flaming on other users. Now my question is: What to do if you want this person to get reprimanded for bad behaviour? Is there anything you can do?

P.S. Sorry if I may have put this question in the wrong category of forums: This is the first time I posted something like this here, so I don't have that much experience yet.

07:18 AM Aug 16 2010 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Lovely Fabian

United Arab Emirates

Dorothee..

Your thread is in the right category..

No amount of reprimanding will work.. You are dealing with a perennial jerk.. Three options:

1. Make a thread about the jerk thereby warning other members about him/her.. You will be surprised because empathic members will join you in eating his head until he realizes he is messing with the wrong person/s;

2. Get hold of his Ebaby account/profile, press the red button and mail the admin justifying why and how that jerky jerk is abusing you;

3. If the heat is too hot for you to handle, get out and never enter the chatroom.. That place is a haven for jerks.. 

08:36 AM Aug 16 2010 |

Ghala2010

Ghala2010

Saudi Arabia

just ignore him :) as there is no body talking

05:26 PM Aug 16 2010 |

Hossam_bounab

Algeria

There is a better option for me,and it worked everytime ;)

If a jerk dared to insult me,I just smile to him and tell him of good,certainly he will do it again but I feel pleasure of advicing him…first second third time he certainly will feel ashamed and disappear or will apologise ?

It works everytime with me try it,and tell me back ;)

Greetings

06:14 PM Aug 16 2010 |

Hossam_bounab

Algeria

That is the best solution

09:58 PM Aug 16 2010 |

Dorothee

Dorothee

Germany

Thanks for all these pieces of advice! It's just that I don't think it to be very adult, polite, whatever-you-call-it to just leave the chat without saying a word, whenever somebody insults me. I rather deal with my problems instead of retreating and after all I also care about all the other people who could get insulted by such a jerk… Anyway as I said before I thank you for all those various pieces of advice!

08:38 AM Aug 17 2010 |

Dorothee

Dorothee

Germany

As I mentioned before I just don't want to ignore anybody, but who do you mean by "him"? The user who is bugging me? Yes, that's what I usually try to do first: When somebody tries to start a kind of dull talk in a private chat, I firstly tell him/her that I don't want this kind of conversation and when he/she still insists I tell this person that I'm going to leave now. Well, that's what I did before I knew the possibilities mentioned above.

06:27 PM Aug 17 2010 |

Dorothee

Dorothee

Germany

1) I am not a native speaker so I make mistakes too, but I'm pretty sure that to bug someone is pretty much the same as to annoy someone.

2.) So what if I usually don't want to ignore anybody? I already said that I just want to deal with my problems, but I understand that some just don't want to discuss with every single really, really annoying user they meet in a chat.

3.) If somebody starts off a dull conversation that only consists of bad language and/or vulgarity, it is kind of normal that I'm not interested in carrying on our chat like that, isn't it?

07:41 PM Aug 17 2010 |

Hossam_bounab

Algeria

Hey RYO,why not simply REPORT ABUSE on him (the person him self)

I think we should talk to the admin… ;)

01:04 AM Aug 18 2010 |

Hossam_bounab

Algeria

But this person is too obvious how he is "silly and stupid" ...why would you like to waste your time with him ? you'd learn nothing from him !

01:18 AM Aug 18 2010 |