Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Question Of A Girl: What if...?

Dorothee

Dorothee

Germany

Here's some question that has been bugging me (and maybe several other members too) for quite a long time now: If there's someone writing annoying comments in our public chats there usually is an admin who can tell this user off, but alas it happens more often that users start getting insulting (or other things) only when they chat with someone privately. I know you can just ignore this member, but I guess then he/she will just go on flaming on other users. Now my question is: What to do if you want this person to get reprimanded for bad behaviour? Is there anything you can do?

P.S. Sorry if I may have put this question in the wrong category of forums: This is the first time I posted something like this here, so I don't have that much experience yet.

07:18 AM Aug 16 2010 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Dorothee

Dorothee

Germany

"Bad language" is what I call things like swearing words, profanity, dirty words etc. and yes: Me too I think that first of all we should try to talk to users like these. However in some cases talking is useless-that's when you should inform an admin about this person.

09:23 AM Aug 18 2010 |

Dorothee

Dorothee

Germany

Hi! Thanks for this piece of advice!

Yes, I sometimes use the chats of englishbaby, because I think it to be interesting to meet people from all over the world. Of course you are right that we rather should avoid public chats not to get bothered by impolite users, but I still sometimes do, because when I contact someone I'd like to learn to know via the e-mail he or she often doesn't answer, while this is rather unusual in a chat.

10:19 AM Aug 18 2010 |

Hossam_bounab

Algeria

Yep :)

In fact when I was new at chtting I used to get in those stupid rooms,nut I presently recognized that it's no more than a waste of time :/

Yeah we do not abuse…well in fact I abused once (just once) not for long time here in englishbaby,but he was posting his pics naked in public !!! I felt ashamed and I told him off :/

11:46 AM Aug 18 2010 |

Dorothee

Dorothee

Germany

@ammarob: Thanks! I'm glad you like that I put up this subject and of course you are right.

12:27 PM Aug 18 2010 |

Dorothee

Dorothee

Germany

Dear "Give me a Smile,

Of course you are right: Outside the forums and chats of englishbaby there are bad people who harm others too and the person you told about sure is one of them, but still it occurs to me that most of the people who behave bad in chats are rather peaceful and friendly when they are in touch with someone via the e-mail for example. There were only one or two users who gave my trouble via the e-mail, but a little more people who were bugging me in a chat and I do believe that most users have pretty much the same experience.

04:50 AM Aug 19 2010 |

Dorothee

Dorothee

Germany

Sure, but now that I know what to do with these people I see no problem in betimes visiting a chat. Of course I still have to admit that these chats usually are not for the faint-hearted.

03:07 PM Aug 19 2010 |

Dorothee

Dorothee

Germany

By chance I just was in one of our chats and there was someone discriminating against Muslim members. I think this to be laughable: I bet in real life this user is tolerant, polite and all this stuff and he/she only writes comments like these to let others feel his/her anger about personal problems-allthough this person neither knows the Muslim he talked to nor does he/she even mean what he/she is writig.

03:33 PM Aug 19 2010 |

Dorothee

Dorothee

Germany

Yes, I agree on that. You may be right, allthough I don't think it to be justified to discriminate against someone, just because you've had a bad experience with some other member of the etnic group he or she belongs to. Still I think that not everybody who posts impolite comments about ethnic minorities on the Internet would behave like that in reality. I still believe that some (not all of them) maybe just want to let out their anger this way. They don't feel that observed, but rather save and anonymious when they are online, which of course isn't right: The things you post online usually will get saved somewhere and they may stay like that for quite a long time.

06:32 PM Aug 19 2010 |

Dorothee

Dorothee

Germany

Yes, we should give people the idea of how we really are, but I guess only a few people behave online the same way they would behave in real life.

10:16 AM Aug 22 2010 |