Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Worst Crime

Dorothee

Dorothee

Germany

Just recently I read a discussion on www.youtube.com about whether or not murder is the worst crime a person could do. Now I ask you dear users of this website what you'd call the worst thing someone could do.

Personally I'd say killing oneself is the worst crime one could commit. Of course I understand that some people just live a terrible life and they may not see a solution to their problems and thus they lose hope and finally the will to live, but:

1.) The fellow men of someone who killed himself may feel guilty for not being able to stop this person or maybe not even realizing what he or she was about to do.

2.) There have been enough examples in human history that prove that an ordinary person can get used to pretty much everything: There have been reports of soldiers who fought in at least one of both world wars for example, saying they sometimes had to eat their food sitting between their dead companions who had died in the precedent battle. On the other hand you'll also find unbelievable many examples that became less famous. Me for example, I imagine it to be an unbearable destiny to sit paralyzed in a wheelchair, knowing you may never be able to walk again. However there sure are millions of paralyzed people worldwide who somehow manage their lives. They find jobs, have friends and some of them even are able to live a better life than some people who are not paralyzed. There even is a very famous German polititian who depends on his wheelchair just to mention one of them.

3.) If your living conditions are really so bad that you just can't bear them, they may not last forever, because so far there isn't a single example of something unbearable that lasted forever: A dictatorship that treats its citizens really miserably will be put to an end one day-be it because of a war or because of a revolution.
Another example to prove this theory of mine is the fact that there isn't a single war that lasted forever. Sure the Thirty Years' War lasted for decades, which is a rather long time, but it ended and the survivors of this war…just survived and they could go on with their lives.
Now just to give you an example of a more recent event: A lot of people died during the earthquake of Haiti and  even more got wounded badly. However these badly injured survivors usually had to wait for hours or even days till they got saved, because a lot of them were caught under what remained of their houses. Getting freed from these "prisons" didn't automatically mean you'd survive, because Haiti is one of the least developed countries and medical healthcare is very poor over there, which means that more people died later because of the uncountable diseases that started spreading after the disaster. However there still are people who survived all of this and allthough it may still take several years till things start getting more or less normal over there again, the citizens of Haiti can be sure that the worst is over.

4.) A lot of the people who commit suicide are either disabled or very old and thus they somehow feel useless, but even (or rather especially) in this case this is a horrible deed, because then you can say that these people partly justify or at least ease the horribleness of the so-called "euthanasia-programs" of the nazi's who in their propaganda justified the murder of not so fit people by saying that for them life would only mean unnecessary suffering. (Of course their real reasons for the murder of people like that were rather economical ones, but that's another subject I think.)

Finally I have to say that according to me there are more and better reasons to go on with one's life than to put an end to it. At least you should give it a try, even if everything seems hopeless at the moment.

01:38 PM Sep 13 2010 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

born2loveAllah

Algeria

may Allah ’s peace and blessings be upon you sister Dorothee ,
you are right in all that you said
I agree with you 1000000/100
killing oneself is so horrible .In my religion , that is Islam it is forbidden…I think even in the hardest situations there is always a tiny of hope …however long the night the day breaks …all things are difficult before they are easy …it’s darkest before the dawn…
More than that one may lose faith in himself or in people around him but not in Allah /God …I swear with firm belief in our hearts nothing is impossible …when we can’t change our fates we’ve just to change our attitudes …we should remember all good things come to those who wait , that is patience brings reward …it’s true that everything grows in time but not grief and time heals everything…surely tomorrow will be better …
I wrote these things for hopeless people , for those who think life isn’t worth living …
May Allah bless and reward you sister Dorothee.

05:14 PM Sep 13 2010 |

amany7

amany7

Saudi Arabia

what you'd call the worst thing someone could do.

killing oneself is worst crime commited against oneself not easy but so much easier than murdering someone else and taking the life of other"s.

02:28 AM Sep 14 2010 |

Dorothee

Dorothee

Germany

May God's peace and blessings be on you two too-as on everybody else who is going to comment on this forum.

born2loveA
llah

I thank you for writing this comment for people who have lost hope

and I do hope your wish comes true and someone may find comfort reading this.

05:00 PM Sep 16 2010 |

Newmoon

Newmoon

Turkey

killing yourself or somebody else…Both of them is the worst…

08:15 PM Sep 16 2010 |

Dorothee

Dorothee

Germany

Yes, killing-as every other crime too-is a bad thing. However I also called suicide the worst crime, because it isn't even logical. Saying:"This person is bad, so I kill him/her!" is cruel, but still logical (in some macabre way though). However saying:"I just can't bear my life anymore, so I'm going to commit suicide!" doesn't make that much sense. I know the following comment of mine sounds a little morbid, but to me it kind of makes sense: If one seriously isn't able to stand his or her life anymore. he is going to die anyway (with or without any help). Why else would a suicidal person call his or her life unbearable? If you aren't able to suffer some sickness, you die of it. If you somehow get into an extreme, unbearable situation (as a shipwrecked for example) you die, because your body isn't fit enough to survive this.

A person whose life isn't bearable anymore goes through the same: One who is usually unhappy, depressed or anything else like that is very likely to fall ill soon and die of a heart attack or something. As I said before this is a pretty ghoulish way of writing a comment against suicide, but that's just the way it is. I can't help it! What I just wrote is true!

P.S. I think our subject is going only into this single direction.Smile If there's any other crime you think to be the worst, you are invited to mention it aswell.

04:28 PM Sep 22 2010 |

Nicte ha

Nicte ha

Mexico

Kurt Cobain from Nirvana killed himself in 1994

http://www.bipolar-lives.com/kurt-cobain-suicide-note.html

today, i loaded his video

03:44 AM Oct 22 2010 |

Nicte ha

Nicte ha

Mexico

and, i can widely recommend this book or movie:

"Veronika decide to die", from Paolo Coello

03:49 AM Oct 22 2010 |

Dorothee

Dorothee

Germany

Nicte ha

I thank you for recommending rhis book and I hope one day I'll get to read it.

Yes, I've heard about Kurt Cobain's suicide. Such a shame! I like some of Nirvana's songs. It's especially horrible if famous people commit suicide, because then usually some of their teenage fans want to imitate this deed. I've heard that after Kurt Cobain's death for example a lot of adolescents tried to kill themselves too-some with success.

02:57 PM Oct 22 2010 |