Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Viva Egypt

braveheart2010

Egypt

since 25 jan egyptian in all the country specially in the capital cairo are trying to say to their president and his government and its party you should go out we want to change all the situation and we will stop dectatoration

have u heard about what's happening there/.

11:36 AM Jan 27 2011 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

fabs1

fabs1

United Kingdom

@arabhamid:

Of course the Arab world needs aid from the US and EU, otherwise it wouldn't have anything.

They export their oil to the West.

The very idea of democracy comes from outside, not from the Arab world. It's what I would call the flow of civilization from the West towards the East that has brought democracy, not a movement from inside historically. The reason why the Arab world has traditionally had dictators and tyrants ruling over them is a product of their culture.

The question now is, in the midst of all the chaos, will Tunisia and Egypt actually bring a democracy or continue the cycle of dictators and tyrants. 

It is for this reason that of course both countries need support from Europe and the US in their transition.

10:44 PM Jan 30 2011 |

fabs1

fabs1

United Kingdom

@spontan:

You seem to have cut out the parts that you didn't like:

ElBaradei earned a Bachelor's degree in law from the University of Cairo in 1962, followed by a DEA degree in International Law at the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies in Geneva and a PhD in International Law at the New York University School of Law in 1974.

I didn't know New York and Geneva were in the middle east.

10:47 PM Jan 30 2011 |

Norei ..

Norei ..

Christmas Island

Vivaa Eygpt!!

brave people!! our hearts are all with you! you are our hope! 

11:30 PM Jan 30 2011 |

spontan

spontan

Germany

fabs,

there is nothing wrong, when  ElBaradei makes his bachelor 1962 in the university of Cairo and works for his country Egypt as diplomat all the time in the UN and in Egypt's ministry and graduate 12 years later ,not many people can bear work and study.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohamed_ElBaradei  look what he had said8 month ago MEB: Change will have to come from within the country, from within Egypt. I don’t think change will come from outside. But as part of the human family, east and west, north and south, we have to be true to our human values. If we believe that democracy and respect for human rights is the way forward we have to speak about it and apply it systematically, otherwise none of us will have any credibility, as east or west, as individuals or institutions.
http://jackshenker.blogspot.com/2010/03/elbaradei-full-interview-transcript.html

11:55 PM Jan 30 2011 |

braveheart2010

Egypt

dear faith

keep ur money for urself

ur money come to us as weapon to kill ppl and the rest back to ur country as acounts for the thieves whom deal with ur country government

so plz ask ur country to stop sending money to us

12:27 AM Jan 31 2011 |

braveheart2010

Egypt

faith i think u need to read more to know about what r u talking about!

u should read about islamic civilatization specailly in spain (alanduls) before talking about it'

as i see all ur knowlage are from the media and that isn't enough to have a complete pic about anything

12:30 AM Jan 31 2011 |

Whitney S

Whitney S

Colombia

Now I know what you are talking about :)

I watched it on CNN today! Good for Egypt! 

12:55 AM Jan 31 2011 |

Julie3

Julie3

Russian Federation

Greetings to all! The news is bad, of course…hate when people are killed and live in constant fear. I wonder if they have any person to suggest instead of Mubarak?

@arabhamid: to your mind, what is the better example of the state and society in the world? Are there any?

08:23 AM Jan 31 2011 |

Oscar73

Oscar73

Israel

Egypt 2011=France 1968? No Ideal Choices Here

It is the prophet Amos who said that "the wise man would be silent at that time".

There is a great deal of confusion about the eventual outcome in Egypt. A correspondent for the Economist began by rapturously chronicling the fall of the regime as electronic files were being destroyed. 

Later, he qualified his prediction and said  it might take one more battle or push.Hillary Clinton went from one news program to the other to plead for a transitioned approach to democracy that would not leave a dangerous vacuum, but explained that this should not be interpreted as a call for Mubarak's ouster, nor as a threat to remove aid to Egypt.

The Egyptian army was doing a great job, according to Clinton, in discriminating between peaceful demonstrators and keeping order against criminal elements.But—what happens if Mubarak wants to cling to power and the opposition refuses an orderly transition, and one has to choose between the two?

The prophet Amos' dictum cannot be adhered to by politicians who must supply interviews and project the image that they are controlling events. The  same goes for talking heads and pundits who must demonstrate their predictive abilities. So although silence may be golden, it is impossible to maintain. 

Therefore, we present ur view  that this situation is reminiscent of Egypt 1952, but even more of  France in May 1968.In January 1952, a mob swept through Cairo destroying symbols of foreign presence in the capital, including the famous Shepherd's Hotel (yes, they had one too) and the tennis club. This was a reaction against the British punitive raid against Suez.

The British had bases on the canal by virtue of an agreement with the Egyptian government, but that same government was now egging on guerilla warfare against the British.

The government, at the same time,  was unable to preserve stability and was in the midst of a war with the Muslim Brotherhood that included assassinations by the Brotherhood and killings by the government.This set the stage for the coup of July 1952, that installed the military in power and they remain in power to this day. In other words, the chaos and anarchy eventually created a consensus behind whoever could restore order.

When Egyptians have to create vigilante groups to protect their property in the current situation, as criminals are freed and looters enter the national museum and smash mummies, the quest for order is growing. Some suspect that this is part of Mubarak's tactics. They may be right, but the fact is that this is how it is playing out.

France, in the fateful year of 1968, appeared to be on the cusp of revolution. Charles De Gaulle had only been in power nine years, not thirty like Mubarak, but he had been a political factor since 1940. The French students revolted for the same reasons that the Egyptian young are revolting today; because after completing their studies they have few job prospects. The student revolt was joined by a general strike that paralyzed France.At this stage, left candidate Francois Mitterand played the role of Mohammed el-Baradei by offering himself as the alternative if the strikers and students would unite behind him.

Mitterand had been buoyed by the parliamentary elections of the previous year when the left had made sharp gains at the expense of the Gaullists and their allies. De Gaulle appeared paralyzed, but then he met with the army and dissolved the National Assembly. His Prime Minister Georges Pompidou ended the strikes via negotiations. Then De Gaulle presented France with a choice between his way and the "chienlit (dog droppings) of the left".

The left was wiped out and its return to power was deferred till 1981.This comparison means sticking my neck out and ignoring Amos' warnings.If Hillary Clinton's fantasy comes about, this would be the best way, but its actually occurring is doubtful, to say the least. If the options in Egypt come down a stark choice between order and "chienlit", 

I believe the tendency will be for order to reassert itself. 

01:46 PM Jan 31 2011 |

Mary**

Mary**

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

Congratulations to all Egyptians!!

I hear some things about your country these days..

All the best Cool

02:02 PM Jan 31 2011 |