Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

How to say hello in your language!

imaginary-sj

Uzbekistan

05:04 AM Feb 07 2011 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

dave028

dave028

Czech Republic

We usualy say "ahoj" or "čau" to our friends. If you want to by more formal you should use "dobrý den" = good day.  I'm looking forward to next responses. It's so interesting to see how people greet each other in different places of the world.

04:56 PM Feb 10 2011 |

Ozimar Bernardino

Brazil

In brazilian portuguese language it is:

"Hello = Ola" and "Hi = Oi".

04:56 PM Feb 10 2011 |

bienemaja

bienemaja

Andorra

in german it´s:

"hallo" for the informal greetings and

" guten morgen"

"guten tag"

"guten abend"

"gute nacht"   depending on the hour of the day

09:23 PM Feb 10 2011 |

imaginary-sj

Uzbekistan

Oh thanks friends for informing me about the different ways you greet in your regions…that's really interesting !

I can see that culture plays a decisive role on the way we greet, in terms of the words that we use ….now I guess after this post..I will be able to greet any one with their own language.,,

emmm I couldn't find any problem pronouncing some  of the greetings that were mentioned earlier in this post….but I must admit that Russian language seems quite difficult!

01:15 AM Feb 11 2011 |

we.tiffany

we.tiffany

China

In our  local language , we always say " 吃饭了吗”(It means have you had your meal yet??), it is anoter way to say hello

03:04 AM Feb 11 2011 |