Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Do you think that certain movies and books encourage fetishism and ethic materialism?

Dorothee

Dorothee

Germany

Actually the title says it all: Do you think that people become stronglier attached to certain things if there is a certain movie that influences them?

For example I presume that a lot of people saw the movie “Titanic” when they were younger. In this movie a diamond plays an important role.

I remember having read at least two books in my childhood that were about people who had to give away their most precious holding to save one person ( or more ) they loved and in both books it was hard for them to part with this special piece of property.

In the very famous novel “Notre Dame de Paris” by Victor Hugo La Esmeralde guards the shoe she wore the day when a long time ago she got separated from her mother and by the way her mother does the same with the other shoe her daughter lost that day.

Don’t you think that after watching these movies and reading these books people search for some special thing they own to get attached to it? I don’t mean on purpose, but psychogenic and perhaps without even realizing it. After all certain tribes living in the rainforest don’t have media like that and they are nomadic people which means that they leave their housings and their fields behind whenever they decide for any reason whatsoever to move on.

Even the first Christians were very different from today’s Christians: They didn’t have much and they lived in small communities where it was normal for them to share their holdings. For them it wasn’t possible to get too attached to anything in particular, because they passed their possessions on – from one person to the other. The very same object changed its owner many times within only a few months.

05:52 AM Jun 22 2011 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Ryo

Ryo

Saudi Arabia

depends on the person himself   
The extent to which the person to be affected and how the severity of the tendency
and  manythings 

And the book 

05:43 PM Jun 22 2011 |

DaveArmada

DaveArmada

Spain

hi,

””I think TV results in a lot more effective manipulation on your choices and lifestyle in today’s world. That’s why I refrain from watching TV, I don’t have TV at the moment. Coz I’ve noticed that TV and mass media is a means of reproducing the prevalent culture and norms.”” 

that was amazing! I Agree.

”“Do you think that certain movies and books encourage fetishism and ethic materialism?””

Of course, media always have some hidden ideas besides its images or letters, but is not its purpose to encourage, at least not as often as the advertisment does. Nevertheless I think there are some adverts or propaganda with customes of common movies or books 

I remember my feeling after wathing From Paris with Love 2010…

it is propaganda! ¡¡¡they want that I buy a gun!!!

but is just a feeling, nobody knows if there are hidden interests

06:01 PM Jun 22 2011 |

Ryo

Ryo

Saudi Arabia

I think that children are affected by many violent cartoon films

06:11 PM Jun 22 2011 |

Hayetikum

Germany

Totally, my first two car purchases have been completely influenced by movies I watched as kid/young teenager. Citroen because of Louis de Funes movies, Mitsubishi because of Jackie Chan movies.Although nowadays that doesn’t work anymore. Considering that every tv show and every movie use iPhones as mobile phones, but I still dislike them with a passion.

09:36 PM Jul 01 2011 |

Dorothee

Dorothee

Germany

Thank you for all these responses!

Meanwhile I’ve got another example: Just a few days ago I watched a documentation about grizzly’s. There they also interviewed a person who works in a museum that back then exposed a padded bear. Once a tourist broke off one of this animal’s paws when he thought that nobody was watching him. He just wanted to have a souvenir, but I always wondered why this man was so keen on getting a paw. Why not one of its toes? This padded animal’s mouth was open, so he also could have stolen one of its teeth. Owning a bear’s tooth would have been more impressive than owning just an old paw, wouldn’t it? When I thought about it, I remembered the movie “Tommy und der Luchs”* in which a boy owned the paw of another perpetrator, namely a lynx…

* Since this movie takes place in Germany, all of the characters have German names and I never heard of any English title, I think this movie is only available in German – speaking countries.

09:35 AM Jul 10 2011 |

samchn07

Germany

OF COURSE! SOME MOVIES AND PCTURES ARE ENCOURAGE US IN OUR LIFE. BECAUSE THEY ARE PRESENTING OUR REAL LIFE IN A REEL LIFE AND WE ALSO EFFECT FROM THEM. SO I THINK THEY ARE PLAYING A BIG ROLE IN OUR LIFE.

06:32 AM Jan 01 2012 |