Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Mickey's Furor in the Land of Pyramids

Oscar73

Oscar73

Israel

Muslims in Egypt have called a boycott against the Christian Copt owner of a communications company who “insulted” Islam by dressing Mickey up in Muslim garb. Fifteen lawyers are suing businessman Naguib Sawiris for publicizing a photo of Mickey Mouse wearing a white robe and a beard, together with an image of Minnie Mouse wearing a full-face veil. The lawyers, along with dozens of Muslim clerics, have called for Egyptians to cut their contracts with Sawiris’ Mobinil and Orascom cellphone companies.Islamists, many from the ultraconservative Salafi sect, have opened numerous Facebook pages calling for a boycott.  ”If you’re a real Muslim … boycott his (Sawiris’) products if you love your religion. We have to cut the tongue of any person who attacks our religion,” says the page of one group. Other groups, with titles like “We Hate You Mickey Sawiris,” have garnered thousands of page views for their sites.  In a television interview, top Muslim cleric Mazen el-Sersawi accused Sawaris of fomenting tension between Muslims and Coptic Christians, who have clashed on numerous occasions in recent months, leaving dozens wounded and several dead. “How can a man like this make fun of Muslims, in a country on the brink of sectarian discord,” el-Sersawi said in the interview.Sawaris, for his part, issued an apology via his Twitter account, writing, “I apologize for those who don’t take this as a joke. I just thought it was a funny picture; no disrespect meant! I’m sorry.” Speaking Sunday at a meeting of political activists, Sawaris added, “We should not limit Islam to a beard or veil.” The apology has not calmed tensions, however, and a protest outside Orascom headquarters is planned for later this week. Naguib Sawaris’ family is considered one of the wealthiest in Egypt.

12:52 PM Jun 30 2011 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Oscar73

Oscar73

Israel

Wink

01:41 PM Jun 30 2011 |

Rockyy01

Rockyy01

Pakistan

My Dear Son Oscar… :) I wanna draw your attention towards something… tell me what do you think about that… :) I hope you will tolerate like your Fathers do… :)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       ARE YOU A REAL JEW MY DEAR SON…???

04:55 PM Jun 30 2011 |

Hayetikum

Germany

Well if they restart their country like that after the revolution, I see no change at all.I feel sorry for people who have nothing else but religion in their life. Some of them hold on to it so hard, that real life seems to pass them completely. Religion is supposed to calm you when you’re angry, or comfort you when you’re sad. Not vice versa.There will always be something that someone else sees as some sort of insult to their religion, so what? Ignore it. Without real freedom of speech, there is no real freely acting religion either (and I don’t even mean freedom of religion). As if those who get angry over such ridiculous stuff have never insulted someone else or someone elses religion, or thought bad about someone. My experience is, the louder the protest in such a case is, the stronger the double morals among those who protest.

09:29 PM Jul 01 2011 |

Oscar73

Oscar73

Israel

Rockyy01dont chane the subject !the majority of the Jewish people live in Israel  as a zionists and serving the IDF . the peple that u show in the pictures r minority  , and some of them is fake and paid by the palestinian propoganda.

08:32 PM Jul 02 2011 |

javamanju

javamanju

India

Jews are resposible..They are responsible for every thing bad in the world.. end of story. This should make every one happy

03:32 PM Jul 04 2011 |

Rockyy01

Rockyy01

Pakistan

My Dear Son Oscar… I didn’t change the ‘TOPIC…’ i just change the ‘DIRECTION…’ & it’s so easy to say that THEY ARE IN MINORITY & ARE FAKE… :) & USING YOUR ANSWERAS A REPLY FOR YOUR ALL FORUMSI WANNA SAY THAT… ‘ALL THE NEGATIVE THINGS FOR MUSLIMS YOU POSTARE SPREAD BY ANTI MUSLIMS… & SPECIALLY JEWISH… & ALL OF THEM ARE FAKE…’ :) Take Care My Dear Son Oscar… :) Stay Blessed… & Hamid… & Javamanju… you both are right my brothers… :)

06:07 PM Jul 04 2011 |