Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

What is going on in Turkey?

angel_ eyes

Pakistan

Turkey is always close to our hearts. 

It always helped us, whether it was earth quake or flood(s). There help is not something like US Aid, for reasons. Turkey is for us just like a big brother. 

I just wanna know is everything OK over there?

News are not giving good picture.

07:34 AM Jun 06 2013 |

The iTEP® test

• Scedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

nil_fm

nil_fm

Turkey

i want to summarize events in Turkey.

Everything is ok. But there are protests  in a lot of cities.

Because reason of protests is that; 

Turkish prime minister (Recep Tayyip Erdoğan)  wanted to cut trees to build shopping center in Gezi park in İstanbul in Taksim( distinct).

Naturally, public protest for about 11 days.

But, this is a different protest. Because, him supports and dissidents protest together for the first time.

And prime minister insulted protesting people. He said that you are chapulling.( chapulling means plunderer ).

Yes. Provocateurs vandalizes but not public. Unfortunately, this is hard to prevent them. but everybody try to prevent them.

12:40 PM Jun 08 2013 |

zamalek

zamalek

Egypt

angel_ eye
s
:

U are right turkey is close to our hearts too .

nil_fm:

that is the advertising reason cutting the trees but i wonder does cutting some trees deserve all of this protests and so what, i can see cars and trees burnt  in violance there 

do u think there is another reason ??

03:36 PM Jun 08 2013 |

nil_fm

nil_fm

Turkey

Public protest but prime minister insist to cut trees and then provocateurs burn.

it is not guilt of public. it is crime of prime minister. Because, publics uses their democratic rights. Protest is a democratic right. But not burn.

İf prime minister didn’ t insist to cut trees and he said ‘yes, we will not cut trees., then public would finish to protest and provocateurs wouldn’t  burn.

Always prime minister breaks down historical buildings and cut trees without asking public.

This is the last straw.

by the way even president and many ministers support public and protests. they said that public uses democratic rights.

05:43 PM Jun 08 2013 |

angel_ eyes

Pakistan

PM and President should  listen to public.

04:38 AM Jun 09 2013 |

angel_ eyes

Pakistan

Just one thing : Are thses protestors Islamist or Kamalist secular.?

zamalek brother,  are you happy with the result of protest in Egypyt, with your new system and new head of state?

04:42 AM Jun 09 2013 |

nil_fm

nil_fm

Turkey

there are both İslamic and kemalist secular protesters.

even headscarves ladies came there.

but they didn’t come there for İslamic and kemalist protest.

they came for nature.

because, always historical buildings and trees have been broken down.

green areas have  decreased so much in Turkey.

they have been cuting trees to build big shopping centre and bridges.

09:49 AM Jun 09 2013 |

zamalek

zamalek

Egypt

nil_fm: u are right that govenment must listen to their people but i heard that this square was an ottoman citadel and was erased is that right??? 

if it is ,i think there is Contradiction

about your govenmentand ardojan i think it is the most successful govenment

in the whole middle east and one of the best in the world 

ardogan government is good module for changing acountry from debts and

weak economy to one of the best 10 economies in the world 

10:22 PM Jun 09 2013 |

zamalek

zamalek

Egypt

angel_ eyes:

in egypt before the revolution we were in abad situation in all fields but after hte revolution now there is afreedom and everyone talk with no fear .

as u know after any revolution there is caios and mess somehow but in egypt i think we pass this 

although there is some protests in egypt but i think it is related to ideology difference because we in egypt have the same thing in turkey there are islamists and secular parties and now the president of egypt is islamist and the secular parties have astrong media so that they can attack the islamists in media very strong.

president moursi dont continue one year ruling egypt the secular media attack him very much due to the problems in egypt although he dont complete one year and dont has his chance yet 

About my opinion i support the president moursi he is agood man but i think the government he get isnt good enough he has to change it and keep only 4 to 5 ministers that has agood work   

10:31 PM Jun 09 2013 |

nil_fm

nil_fm

Turkey

u are right that govenment must listen to their people but i heard that this square was an ottoman citadel and was erased is that right???

Yes, there was citadel.But why does he want to build again broken down a historical building by cutting trees Because, he wants to conflict between secular and antisecular. Cause, he is succesful at changing ajenda.  We have political select in 2 years in 2014.İf he curious history, why does he break down histrorical places (Hasankeyf) to dam?

about your govenment and ardojan i think it is the most successful govenment in the whole middle east and one of the best in the world ardogan government is good module for changing acountry from debts and weak economy to one of the best 10 economies in the world

yes, this is a viewpoint why muslım countries fall behind in the world at gainig rights. Because, we suppose, if a strong leader look after inner man, it’s enough. İn first place, finishing the debts is his first duty. We selected him for it.But it’s is not his only duty. When you see that a man throws garbage on the street, will you warn his? Or will you say ‘it is not necessary, he is good man?’When we look developed countries, they don’t say, we have strong economy, it’s enough.Yes, they have police- demonstration conflict. But at least, they don’t have this viewpoint. İf we must be grateful to politicans for being best economy , they must be grateful us for paying taxes, making citizenship duty. Everything is not money.

07:31 PM Jun 10 2013 |

zamalek

zamalek

Egypt

ok i agree with u in what u said but there something i want to add:

what will happen if ardogan supporters insist to support him in building this building in taksim what will happen ??

i think democracy is the solution u have election go and fall ardogan in election

because it isnt the democracy that about thousands of people decide what should an elected govenment do because this govenment was elected by the people and by using force to prevent construction abuilding that is against democracy

but i agree with u that the police violence is avery stupid thing we have the same problem in egypt the police use force with protests here and i think that is not related with the government islamist or secular i think that all cops use violence because they dont know another langugue

(. İf we must be grateful to politicans for being best economy , they must be grateful us for paying taxes, making citizenship duty. Everything is not money.

)
u also pay taxes at the time of secular govenment before ardogan but they fall to do any advance and no freedom on this time as the scruf girls dont allowed to enter the universities and there are many problems with kurds >
if u have agood govenment it is good to support them and object them when they are wronge  but not oppose the opinion >
( this is a viewpoint why muslım countries fall behind in the world at gainig rights.)
i think the muslim countries fall behind in gaining rights because they dont know their right from one way and the other way if u look at the history of the islamic countries after world war at least at egypt we fall on the shit of nationalist dictators they dont have word freedom in their dictionary

12:54 PM Jun 11 2013 |