Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Chinese people, I need your help!!

Lily :)

Russian Federation

Hi!

Chinese people now I need your help!!

I wanna make a tattoo and I want it to be one or two Chinese hieroglyphs. Could you help me to find a hieroglyph(s) that I need? =) I want something that means 'inner harmony' or 'accordance with myself' or something like that.

Looking forward to your answer))

02:07 PM Nov 04 2007 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

SHARING

SHARING

China

you wanna find chinese characters

i can tell you easily .

03:01 PM Nov 04 2007 |

logol

Taiwan

How about this word "禪"

03:31 PM Nov 04 2007 |

jeffrey_lee

China

美 = beautiful

禪 = (Zen) Buddhism / meditation

智 = wisdom

愛 = love

禮 = politeness

03:55 PM Nov 04 2007 |

jeffrey_lee

China

仁 = merciful/benevolent/ charitable

信 = trust

谦 = modest

道 = principle

花 = flower

03:59 PM Nov 04 2007 |

jeffrey_lee

China

雪 = snow

風 = wind 

月 = moon

劍 = sword 

忍 = tolerance

影 = shadow

04:02 PM Nov 04 2007 |

Russian Federation

thanks a lot, but it's not exactly what I want… So maybe you can tell me two (or maybe more) hieroglyphs that together mean 'inner harmony'? Because it's not the same as trust, modest and so on… So, I'd ask in another way, if you are asked to translate this very phrase how would you translate it? Sorry for disturbing you and thanks a lot for your help))

04:13 PM Nov 04 2007 |

jeffrey_lee

China

In chinese, inner = 內/內部  harmony = 和諧

if we put these two meanings together, i can make a literal translation "內諧" by chinese hieroglyph. But this word is seldomly used in writting.  I think "inner harmony" can be given a rich interpretation.  So i give other recommendations for u.

內諧 = inner harmony

other recommendations :

協和 = harmony / coordination

和諧 = harmony

修身 = self-cultivation of morality

養性 = mental cultivation

03:42 AM Nov 05 2007 |

thisisbenmo

China

Please explain in what way do you want to translate "inner harmony" exactly, otherwise it is hard to translate it into Chinese.

If we interpretate "inner harmony" directly, it means 内部和谐.

In China, 内部和谐 means there is no civil war in a country and everyone in this country lives a better life.

Besides, 内部和谐 also means someone's internal organs run regularly, that is, he is in good condition.

11:20 AM Nov 05 2007 |

thisisbenmo

China

rhythm 韵律 

how about this one?

11:25 AM Nov 05 2007 |

Russian Federation

Thank you a lot for your answers!!!

In fact what I mean is 'inner peace (as Nu pogodi said), balanced mental state, peace of mind, accordance, coordination, agreement with myself', so some state in which you are not worried and you are sure of oneself! I'm sorry that I give you not very clear defenitions, but it's also quite difficult to me to explain what I mean in English!

But you anyway understood me and among your answers I found quite what I wanted!! Of course now I have to considerate it and then finally decide! You all were of great help!! Thanks a lot!!!

11:54 AM Nov 05 2007 |