Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Do u believe in the existing of love?

thien anh

Viet Nam

I think it's not very difficult to fall in love with somebody, but it's hard to keep your love fresh all the time. Unless you both are "innocent", not too demand to other; or one of the pair sacrifices her/himself to maintain the relationship; or the two have to improve themselves to have a perfect love.

Anyway, I feel tierd sometimes with what's called "love". And now I think there's love but it's everlasting with exception.

06:41 AM Jul 15 2006 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Brianzhang

Brianzhang

China

Hi,my friends,the guys who strive for his future are my dear friends,I hate the guy who just enjoy his temporary condition,ok,everybody ,if my expected girl appear,I should hunt her down. coz I 'm masculine,hahaahh ,this in me,baby!A funny guy.

12:44 PM Jul 18 2006 |

thien anh

Viet Nam

Hi, my friends.Thanh you for joining in this topic. I had very good time to practise English with you, guys.

My concerning now is the "Tsunami" in Java and the war in Lebanon. When the world is in chaos, "love", "career" become the second rank. Let's call a quit for this topic, O.K.?

Do u ever think that u want to be a volunteer to contribute yr time to help people? That's what i am thinking now. Best wishes for you, my friends, who are lucky enough to talk about love and career.

Bye Bye Cool

01:03 PM Jul 18 2006 |

thien anh

Viet Nam

Hi, my friend. I agree with you and I think it would be more correct if we enlarge the definition of "love" in the situation of war or catastrophy. It not only means to have a caring for your special person but also for people who are sufferring from.

Thank you for your argument. I guess you are a very nice girl. Isn't it right? 

09:17 AM Jul 19 2006 |

Brianzhang

Brianzhang

China

of course ,we should give our mercy to any suffering brothers,but we also need enjoy our life ,earn more money,learn more knowledge,make friends,and so on.

although ,life is full of thorn.maybe we are lucky,we can enjoy peace life,and go on well with our relatives,,ok now ,we just pray for the suffering war brothers,and wish the world around us will be peace earlier,

03:01 PM Jul 20 2006 |

fullmoon

Turkey

of course I do….I'm married and I have a son and a daughter..And I love my husband more than the first day I have met him…....there is love I'm sure but I'm not sure  if there is JUSTICE OR NOT IN THE WORLD

take care…..

04:15 PM Jul 20 2006 |

safiyyaharyssa

Malaysia

Love is always there for the people who want it. We should love our spouse, children, parents and friends. When there is a war/ something like tsunami, we might think a lot about our loves one safety. 

THose who provokes war doesn't know what is the meaning of love. Those who stay still when someone is in need for his/ her help doesn't know what is love either. Love can save more than a live. Love can save everything. 

So, we should love peace, coz peace give us happy life…

don't kill, love life, respect others…. 

07:15 AM Jul 21 2006 |

april2006

april2006

China

I think love is existing in the world ,but not everyone can meet it!

05:32 PM Jul 21 2006 |

Bex

Bex

United States

How are we defining love? Scholars like to put love into 3 categories: Perfect love (the sacrifice of self, including of life), brotherly love (platonic but intense, like the love between friends or family) and erotic love, meaning purely physical. Do I believe in the existence of love? Of course. I have a very loving family. Do you mean in the existence of a romantic love and there is at least one person out there for everybody? Well… that I might argue. I think some people are genuinely meant to be alone in life that way, but those people have the ability to handle it. If you're happier when you're alone, meaning not in a romantic relationship, then that's perfectly fine. But I think true love, perfect love, the sacrificing of self and even life, is what you are talking about. The giving and the trusting, the giving up of things, even career, out of love for another. This kind of perfect love is not reserved for someone you know, either… for example, if you willingly lay down your life for a stranger, that is love, the highest love. And that is becoming increasingly rare, whereas erotic love, eros, physical love with little trace of brotherly love or even perfect love, is becoming far more prevelant, as can be witnessed by the increase of divorce rates. No one wants to sacrifice anymore. I am guilty of this, myself, but then I am happy to be alone (without boyfriend). My family, faith and friends more than compensate. You were very correct with your first statement… love, lasting love, takes a great deal of effort.

To wit: there is actually a chemical process to the whole 'love' issue. When one experiences romantic love, the falling in love scenario, there is a chemical reaction inside the brain, hormones and such released. It creates an actual and chemical high that can last for about up to two years at the longest. This is known as 'the honeymoon period' in English. After that, the chemicals stabalize and things go back to normal and feelings 'change'. This is where the work comes in. So falling in love is easy and even frequent, but staying in love takes effort. It is hard. Most people quit when things get hard anymore and that is why so much love 'ends' these days within a few years' time. I agree with your original assessment completely. Good observation! 

12:00 AM Jul 22 2006 |

Brianzhang

Brianzhang

China

love,many kinds of love,ok let's enjoy love,I only can give love to my family.so what a pity .

02:24 PM Jul 22 2006 |

Bex

Bex

United States

Why is only giving love to your family a pity? What's wrong with that?

06:21 PM Jul 22 2006 |