Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Music Mix!

What does it mean in Lady Marmalade & Bootylicious

loverboy

Germany

I love the both 2 songs but I want to know the meaning.Could you help me plz?
1. Bootylicious mean?
2. Baddest chick
3. spotted me a tender thang
4. jelly

10:11 AM Aug 07 2001 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

illusion

illusion

Russian Federation

As far as i know:

1. sweet

2. the worst girl

4.it's like marmelad

04:11 PM Aug 30 2007 |

worldmikel

worldmikel

United States

I like this one for Bootylicious from the Word Web page:

1. Having strong sexual appeal
    juicy, luscious, red-hot, toothsome, voluptuous

Booty usually refers to a girl's er…uh… behind.. butt Embarassed It is commonly believed and promoted in hiphop/rap songs that Afro-American guys like girls with big buttocks that are well rounded. This is considered sexy. Jennifer Lopez is known for her behind.

Baddest chick is probably the ultimate girl, for whatever the reason someone would like her. Maybe she's the best looking or sexiest. If she was a girl in a gang where "gangstas" are heroes, she might be the most daring or criminally-minded girl. So bad in this case might mean bad or good, depending on the values of the person saying it.

Tender thang… I can only guess that this is an overt sexist label. It makes an analogy to "meat". The so-called "best" steak comes from "tender" young calves. So this term is being applied to a girl with some more slang that has "thing" pronouced as "thang". A tender thang is probably a young sexy girl without much sexual experience, so she's easy prey for a boy or young man with more experience.

Jelly… hmm… this one has had several sexual slang meanings over the years. However, in the Destiny's Child song, you got me beat as to what they exactly mean when they say "jelly". I'm thinking it is just a word that feels sexual to add to the mood of the song, like the words: hot, moist, wet, quiver, lick. After all, that is really all Beyonce/Destiny's Child songs are about: sex. Let's face it, she'd not even have to sing and most guys would watch her anyway.

06:25 PM Aug 30 2007 |

worldmikel

worldmikel

United States

I found a good definition of "Jelly Roll":

"jelly roll' is black slang from the nineteenth century for the vulva, with various related meanings, i.e. sexual intercourse, a loving woman, a man obsessed with finding same. "What you want?" she asked softly. "Jelly roll?" (Thomas Wolfe, Look Homeward Angel 1929). The term probably derives from 'jelly' meaning semen: "Give her cold jelly to take up her belly, And once a day swinge her again" (John Fletcher, The Begger's Bush 1622). Related expressions include "jelly bag," referring both to the scrotum and the female genitals; 'jerk [one's] jelly,' to masturbate; and 'jelly,' a good-looking woman. 'Jelly roll' appears in many blues songs, such as "I Ain't Gonna Give Nobody None o' My Jelly Roll," "Nobody in Town Can Bake a Jelly Roll Like Mine," and "Jelly Roll Blues," the last by Ferdinand Joseph La Menthe "Jelly Roll" Morton (1885-1941).

http://www.apassion4jazz.net/etymology.html

09:36 PM Aug 30 2007 |