Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Ask Ebaby! Teachers Go Super!

crinkle and crease

np36Super Member!

Thailand

Hello,

What is the different between "crease" and "crinkle"? How can we use them? Thank you very much.

np36

03:39 AM Dec 10 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

Hi! Interesting question. "Crease" and "crinkle" are quite similar. However, a crease is usually more of a straight line. A crinkle tends to be less neat, more wavy.

Both words can be used as nouns or verbs. You can crease or crinkle something, or you can put a crinkle or a crease in something. The action of creasing is similar to folding, while the act of crinkling is more like crumpling something up into a little ball.   

06:48 PM Dec 10 2008 |

np36Super Member!

Thailand

Thank you very much. So can I say, "I' m so sorry I have creased the cover of your book and crinkled your shirt"?

np36

08:05 PM Dec 10 2008 |

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

It's definitely correct to say "I've creased the cover of your book." But it's probably better to say you "wrinkled" a shirt, rather than "crinkled" it. We most often use crinkle when refering to paper: "I crinkled up the sheet of paper and tossed it in the garbage." Laughing

08:53 PM Dec 12 2008 |