Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Ask Ebaby! Teachers Go Super!

Conditional Continuous

Victoria G

Victoria GSuper Member!

United States

Good Day, dear teachers! I've got a question about English grammar.

There's an old saying in Russian which sounds like "What would we be doing with our old problems if the new ones hadn't come?".  (It means that people usually stop thinking about their old problems (which used to seem unsolved) when they have to face the new ones). To express this saying better I mixed Conditional Continuous with the Past Perfect. Was it correct or wrong? Or is it just possible to use Continuous Conditional with Past Simple only? (for ex: He wouldn't be doing this job if he were a millionaire.)

And would you be so kind to answer the last question. Which one is correct :

1) If I were not afraid of sharks I'd have gone surfing with you.

2) If I WAS not afraid of sharks I'd have gone surfing with you.

I'm looking forward to your reply!

Thank you in advance!

02:32 PM May 07 2010 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

Hi! It is correct to say "What would we be doing with our old problems if the new ones hadn't come?" It is also correct to say "He wouldn't be doing this job if he were a millionaire."

For the second part of your question, it is technically correct to say "If I were not afraid of sharks I'd have gone surfing with you." But in conversational English many people say "was" rather than "were." So both forms are acceptable, but it is most correct to say "were."

Amy Smile

09:11 PM May 10 2010 |

Victoria G

Victoria GSuper Member!

United States

Amy, Thank you very much!!!!!!Mix Conditional is more clear for me now)))

11:21 AM May 16 2010 |