Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Ask Ebaby! Teachers Go Super!

How to use worth ?

ldarvenyashkiSuper Member!

Bulgaria

Hello ,

this is Lyubomir. Could you explain how to use worth.

Do I have to use is or does before worth and how to use the verb/ to or ing/

Thsnks a lot.

06:14 AM Nov 27 2012 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

Hi Lyubomir,

Do you mean worth as in the value of something? You might say that a piece of jewelry is worth $200, for example.

Let me know if this is what you mean. And also can you clarify your question about -ing verbs?

Thanks,

Amy

04:11 PM Nov 28 2012 |

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

Hi Lyubomir,

Do you mean worth as in the value of something? You might say that a piece of jewelry is worth $200, for example.

Let me know if this is what you mean. And also can you clarify your question about -ing verbs?

Thanks,

Amy

04:11 PM Nov 28 2012 |

Bulgaria

Hello Amy,

I mean how to ask whe I use woth. Is it worth or does it worth.

About ing I want to know how to use the verb after worth.

For example: It is worth seening smth. or it is worth to see smth.

Thanks.

03:49 PM Nov 30 2012 |

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

Okay, I think I get your question. Say, if you want to know whether it’s a good idea to spend your money on a new movie? You might say to a friend, “Is it worth seeing that movie?” You could also say, “Is it worth it to see that movie?” If you use the “it,” then you follow it with the infinitive, or “to” form. If you don’t use the “it,” then you use the gerund, or “ing” form. Either way is fine.

Hope this helps,

Amy

12:11 AM Dec 03 2012 |

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

Okay, I think I get your question. Say, if you want to know whether it’s a good idea to spend your money on a new movie? You might say to a friend, “Is it worth seeing that movie?” You could also say, “Is it worth it to see that movie?” If you use the “it,” then you follow it with the infinitive, or “to” form. If you don’t use the “it,” then you use the gerund, or “ing” form. Either way is fine.

Hope this helps,

Amy

12:11 AM Dec 03 2012 |

Bulgaria

Ok..Amy. Thanks a lot.

08:26 PM Dec 04 2012 |