Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Teacher Talk

3 most common MISTAKES!

andylu2

andylu2

Canada

I've taught thousands of students from different countries and noticed some very common mistakes that makes students learn so much more slowly.  See if you are making any of these mistakes and try to fix them.

1.  Spending more time on reading and writing than on listening and speaking

So many students spend most of their study time alone reading from a book.  I've seen students trying to memorize new words and they get frustrated with their terrible spoken English.  Reading is good and so is learning new words, but make sure that you spend at least 50% of your study time either listening or speaking.  I've seen many English majors who speak terrible English even after they graduate.  This is the mistake many of those students make.

2.  Thinking that total amount of study time is more important than quality of study.

I've heard students ask each other, "how much time do you study every day?" or say something like, "I want my English to get better so I'm going to study for 3 hours per day."  It's the amount of useful learning that matters, not the time studying.  Doing 40 minutes a day of focused reading and listening is enough as long as you are listening to the right stuff.  Podcasts are the best if you can find one at your level.  Native speakers teach slang and real life topics.  It's way better than what is in most textbooks.  

3.  Not writing down what you learn.

I often ask people to tell me one thing they learned after studying and sometimes people can't tell me anything.  They say they forget after reading it.  If you learn something that you think is useful, write it down in a notebook and make some example sentences with it that you can actually use in your daily life.  This will make it much easier to remember new words and phrases.  I do this when I study Chinese and it really helps.  It sounds like an annoying habit if you are like me and hate keeping a notebook, but it will really help you if you are serious about learning quickly and efficiently. 

I have a lot of free podcasts I make with my younger brother.  We're Canadians living in Shanghai and you can have fun while you learn.  Check out our ESL podcast

01:04 PM Jul 21 2010 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

-hafsa-

-hafsa-

Saudi Arabia

Yeah writing down what you've learned it's a big help, it helped me learning japanese quite well! And yes I totally agree with you when it comes to speaking and listening, I really admire alot of people with good writing, reading skill, then I get surprised by their bad English speaking!! 

Thank you for pointing this up, it shall help us alot.

11:02 AM Jul 27 2010 |

omartam

omartam

Algeria

I think that the spoken form of lge has a great importance,but students have to give much concern to the written form

12:35 PM Jul 28 2010 |

omartam

omartam

Algeria

I think that the spoken form of lge has a great importance,but students have to give much concern to the written form.

12:35 PM Jul 28 2010 |

Ahmad El Nasser

Syrian Arab Republic

you are completely right!i agree with you,but my major problem with english is that the english i study is different from the english i hear.i don't study slang english and this is the root of the problem.

02:17 AM Aug 01 2010 |

zooroo

zooroo

Syrian Arab Republic

Only throught miskakes u can learn

10:08 PM Aug 01 2010 |

Eilis2010

Eilis2010

China

i got it

thx

04:11 AM Sep 24 2010 |

Wonald

Australia

Blogs are always a main source of getting accurate information and provide you the handy results.you can get instant and reliable information which surely helps you in any field of your concern.your blogs fulfill these requirement and I really appreciate it.keep it up doing good work. i will come back to see more in future as well.best regards

312-50 exam | 650-177 exam | E20-322 exam | 646-985 exam

11:20 AM Oct 26 2010 |

royalmayur

United Kingdom

Thanks you, i like the way you explained, keep sharing such valuable content along with us

regards

Royals

07:20 AM Nov 12 2010 |