Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Teacher Talk

How to Write a Business Email

andylu2

andylu2

Canada

Being able to write a proper business English email is one of the most important things to be able to do if you do anything work in the international arena.

I get so many terrible emails from people who lose a lot of business.  Their company might be great, they might have great products, but still, the only thing the customer gets is the email.  If it's bad, the chance of doing business drops a lot and makes the company's business image look like a joke.

Here are 2 tips to keep in mind when writing a business email:

1.  Keep it short and to the point!

This is extremely important.  Business people are busy and don't have time to read long essays.  They want clear information.  Think about what they want to know before you write the email and only write that.  This looks professional and makes your company look like they are serious about business.

2.  Don't be TOO Formal.

Companies get spam all the time.  Spam and junk mail are often written like "Dear Sir".  This kind of overly formal writing makes the email look spammy and not personal enough.  Be polite, but make it look intimate enough like you are talking to a real person.  Say your point, and end it with something like, "I look forward to hearing from you".  Talk soon, (Your name)

That is more like an email written by a real person.  This will make it much more likely to get read.  Cool

For a free series on email writing for business check out: Business Email Writing

03:45 AM Aug 14 2010 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Tongfangbin

China

Can you tell me how to write Email to friends?My means is not  Business Email.I just want to write Email for friendship.

03:52 AM Aug 14 2010 |

Tongfangbin

China

Can you tell me how to write Email to friends?My means is not  Business Email.I just want to write Email for friendship.

03:52 AM Aug 14 2010 |

Tongfangbin

China

Thank you every much

03:53 AM Aug 14 2010 |

Ghala2010

Ghala2010

Saudi Arabia

thanks formal email is difficult  

04:02 AM Aug 14 2010 |

foz12

foz12

Saudi Arabia

very useful topic

thank you so much

07:04 PM Aug 14 2010 |

Hossam_bounab

Algeria

Thanks for this thread,it would help so much ;)

09:25 AM Aug 16 2010 |

Hossam_bounab

Algeria

Why do you think so ?  

05:16 PM Aug 16 2010 |

lotus_M

China

Kiss thanks ,It would help me

06:04 AM Aug 29 2010 |

tr0yquint0

tr0yquint0

Philippines

Andylulu is right, that is really true. When it comes to email it is not really need you to be formal in writing. Just get to the point right away but you need to be courteous also. 

Thanks for the good pointers. Keep it up! 

04:59 PM Sep 05 2010 |

Abtin

Abtin

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

well done! i hadn't seen these tips even in Longman exam coach.

07:48 AM Sep 09 2010 |