Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

PDA

PDA English, baby! Video Lesson

Date: Apr 28 2009

Themes: Romance, Soap Opera

Grammar: Past Perfect Progressive

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

When people are in love, they want to kiss and hold each other tight. But where’s the best place to do that?

Public displays of affection, or PDAs, can be cute, like when you see a young couple holding hands in the park. But they can also be gross, like a drunk couple totally making out on the street.

Some people think public displays of affection are a harmless and fun way to express love. Others think love is better expressed in private. It turns out that in Jason and Devan’s new relationship, there is one of each kind of person. Watch the video to see which is which.

3. Watch - Watch the video without reading the dialog.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Jason

Jason

Devan

Devan

Jason:  Thanks for taking me to see Slumdog Millionaire. I’d been wanting to see it.

Devan:  Isn’t that movie great?

Jason:  Yeah.

Devan:  Hey…

Jason:  Hey…I don’t…Just…

Devan:  What?

Jason:  I’m not really into public displays of affection, you know?

Devan:  What do you mean?

Jason:  PDA. I just think it’s really, like, I don’t know…It’s, like, gross, you know. I see people kissing on the street, I’m just kind of like, “Get a room!” you know?

Devan:  When I see people on the street, I think, “Oh, what a happy, cute couple showing their affection for each other.”

Jason:  It seems to me…It just seems mushy and weird…

Devan:  What?

Jason:  Yeah, you know…

Devan:  You won’t even hold my hand in public?

Jason:  Well, I mean…OK, I’ll hold your hand, yeah.

Devan:  What’s wrong with that?

Jason:  It’s OK, I guess. It’s just a little weird. I’m just not used to it, you know?

Devan:  You really don’t like to kiss in public? I want the whole world to see our love.

Jason:  Um, we can just tell them about it when we meet them…

Devan:  Like right now? Hey world, we’re in love!

Jason:  Oh my God.

Devan:  Like that?

Jason:  Uh…

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Past Perfect Progressive" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

After having a nice time seeing a movie, Devan wants to hold Jason’s hand and kiss him on the sidewalk. Jason pulls away and they start to argue. He doesn’t like public displays of affection, but Devan thinks her boyfriend should want to hold her hand.

Eventually, Devan convinces Jason it will be OK if he holds her hand. He says he’s just not used to PDAs. He says people will know that he and Devan are in love once they get to know them. So Devan decides to get to know everyone in the area by shouting about how much she loves Jason!

Naturally, he’s a little embarrassed. Do you like public displays of affection?

Comments

Sid_indore

Sid_indore

India

Yeah ofcourse i do as long as the people around me do not have any problem with that. LOL

04:12 AM Jul 03 2017 |

Sonofmoon

Sonofmoon

Hungary

I think, if I am in love the whole world is lost. Only we are the only persons in the Universe. So If I am really in love,  I do not mind if anybody can see our PDA.

07:41 AM Nov 10 2012 |

studentcro

studentcro

Germany

Like!

09:05 PM Oct 25 2011 |

1 person likes this

studentcro

studentcro

Germany

When to of them are involved it’s so natural, but of course after they both decided it. In this case he didn’t make decision yet, and she obviously is.

05:32 AM Oct 22 2011 |

wave ocean

wave ocean

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

I don't like PDAs too, except of holding hands.

10:08 PM Feb 28 2011 |

bill71

United States

in my opinion i don't like public displays of affection but holding hands is ok.

09:42 AM May 20 2010 |

lenny80a

Germany

I don't like PDAs, but I think, like Devan, it's OK, by a young cute couple. Jason you are my favorit because of good mannern!

10:52 AM Mar 31 2010 |

proyectovilleneuve

Somalia

I like very much fooking in public.

03:54 PM Sep 13 2009 |

tashapolieva

Russian Federation

how to see video ?? i cant download it ! please help )))

12:08 PM Aug 20 2009 |

dipti dalai

India

holding her hand it is OK but kissing at the open place it is ti much.

05:45 AM Jun 02 2009 |

Lollipop88

Lollipop88

Russian Federation

when i see people making out on the street I always think : come oooon, get a room ))) useful expression, thanks )

10:39 AM May 30 2009 |

Lollipop88

Lollipop88

Russian Federation

ahahhah i really like it !!!!!  Jason is cool

10:35 AM May 30 2009 |

onlyShir

Peru

i think it depends the culture however is gross see shows of couples in the street, there is a limit in PDA for all people and all know what is gross. i agree with PDAs as hold on hand, and a kiss in chek…... C=

01:41 AM May 29 2009 |

onlyShir

Peru

i think it depends the culture  however is groos see shows of couples in the street  there is a limit in PDA for all people and all know what is groos. i agree with  PDAs  as  hold on hand, and a  kiss in chek….. C=

01:35 AM May 29 2009 |

Monius

Mexico

Yes of course It shows that to your significance other really cares you. But if s/he beging to be gross for a PDA . You need to think what happened with the relationship

05:01 AM May 26 2009 |

Mrs.HoneyBoo

Denmark

well, i like to hold his hand, hug him, and give him a shy kiss in cheeck)) but not more, coz rest of it have to be just beetween 2 of us) its too private)

05:11 AM May 21 2009 |

Jungah

Germany

I don't like to see people kissing or making out on the street. It's good that they are in love, and I understand that they like to let the world know that they are in love, but too much PDA grosses me out.

03:43 PM May 18 2009 |

chomoaki

chomoaki

Japan

just differences in culture or valure i think.

anyway luv is beautiful.

04:02 AM May 18 2009 |

malitrema

malitrema

Italy

IMHO it's ok holding hands with your couple on the street but making out, well, that's not nice at all. It may be unpleasant to some people.

02:33 AM May 18 2009 |

Likes (29):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast