Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Knowing

Knowing

Date: May 06 2009

Grammar: Simple Future Tense

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

This year, a time capsule will be sent into space, filled with messages for people living in the future. The capsule won’t be opened until it returns to Earth in the year 52,000! It’s hard to imagine what people’s lives will be like then, or if the planet will even still exist 50,000 years from now.

In the new action-thriller Knowing, Nicolas Cage plays a school teacher who finds a time capsule from 50 years ago. But there’s some bad news buried in this capsule. Learn more about the movie from Devan and Beren.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Beren

Beren

Devan

Devan

Beren:  So, there’s another Nick Cage movie out. He seems to have a lot of them.

Devan:  Oh, are you talking about that movie Knowing?

Beren:  Mm-hmm. Have you seen the preview or trailer for it?

Devan:  I did. I saw the preview. It’s like he finds a time capsule that has all the predictions for the future.

Beren:  What?

Devan:  And he’s able to tell when all these huge events are gonna happen, including the end of the world or something.

Beren:  I don’t understand. Does that mean he’s like a psychic? Or like he just…these are written down on a piece of paper?

Devan:  I think it’s written in numbers or something. And he’s a teacher, and he figures out that they’re predictions foretelling the end of the world. It looks kind of cool, you know, it’s like his typical action-thriller.

Beren:  Didn’t he just have a movie come out where he was predicting the future though? Or maybe I’m thinking of something else, something more about time travel? I don’t know…

Devan:  Yeah, he did, you’re right. He did just have that. But this might be pretty cool.

Beren:  Cool.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Simple Future Tense" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Devan tells Beren about the preview she saw of the new movie Knowing. In the movie, Nicolas Cage plays a school teacher who discovers a time capsule that contains some frightening predictions for the future. Beren thinks this movie sounds too similar to other Nick Cage movies (like Next), but Devan thinks that this one could be good.

Have you ever made a time capsule? If you could communicate with people in the future, what would you tell them?

Comments

hectic

hectic

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

Well i would ask them `are u satisfied with your life?

08:19 PM Nov 07 2014 |

Lady_Por

Lady_Por

Thailand

i watch it about 4 times!!

i really like this movie 'n wanna do like him.

07:24 AM Jan 08 2010 |

Erin chien

Erin chien

Taiwan

i think it may be great movie.i will go to movie theater recently.Foot in mouth

05:58 PM May 13 2009 |

mamy20

Saudi Arabia

i saw the movie it very nice

05:03 PM May 13 2009 |

kimboo

kimboo

Algeria

If you can go to the past will warn the world about what will happen in the future
But all this is pure fantasy

05:01 PM May 13 2009 |

taotaobujue

Hong Kong

• really,i hope i will have the opportunity to communicate with the past people someday, but i think it is just a dream or imagination.

12:58 PM May 13 2009 |

stellastar

stellastar

Russian Federation

Thats great and useful to give the definitions of uknown words fos learners moreover with the examples provided)))

10:41 AM May 13 2009 |

Mira_Memoir

Egypt

Guys! this is last week's lesson! Why didn't you change it ?

09:12 AM May 13 2009 |

sheano

sheano

Japan

I am going to see this movie tonight. it must be better than a bunch of junk on TV. I hope.

08:37 AM May 13 2009 |

AQ

AQ

Finland

i would like to see this film =)

wonder when it will come to finland, haha XD  Laughing

06:15 AM May 13 2009 |

sofree

sofree

China

Anything wrong? it's May 06 lesson, where's today's lesson?

03:31 AM May 13 2009 |

Sum Lee

China

stillInnocentcan not understand

03:18 AM May 13 2009 |

amanda.c

amanda.c

China

I really don,t konw what gonna be happen,but  about one thing i,m pretty sure:I ,m going older.I wanna  live a happy life in my old years,and accopnany with my current BF  if it,s my destiny.

03:01 AM May 13 2009 |

Fernandinha

Brazil

At the first time that I heard about this movie, I had the same impression that Devan had in the Dialog of this lesson.

I like Nicolas Cage´s movies and as soon as possible I will watch his new action-thriller.

The subject of the movie is interesting. I would send in to the capsule time beautiful pictures of nature, because I think that future generations won't know that such wonderful things existed.

08:14 PM May 12 2009 |

nil_fm

nil_fm

Turkey

i watched the film and i liked it;)it’s so good,but last scenes was so comic.;)

05:52 PM May 11 2009 |

zoebaby

zoebaby

China

most of mine friends are his mega-fan,maybe i gotta recommend them to catch it..i caught some of Nicolas's movies which are not bad,so i think i will follow this one…

05:02 AM May 11 2009 |

Colibri

Colibri

Russian Federation

I have found this movie and gonna watch it today. As for any comments I am absolutely agree with rfialho – to live and take pleasure from current time and moments and do best to improve our future. Good luck everybody!

04:58 AM May 11 2009 |

tiagon85

Brazil

I haven´t seen that movie, but i´ll watch when it´ll be possible for me,  but some friends told me it is not so good, actually, the last movies which Nicolas Cage plays are awful!!

01:43 AM May 11 2009 |

ciberd7

ciberd7

Brazil

I would show the pictures of our nature and our animals. It´s probably They won´t exist if our Planet keep on the issue it´s been. I´d put some candies and fruits and some DNA from flowers, maybe the future people could make it revive again!

08:34 PM May 09 2009 |

motoki

motoki

Japan

Wooo…

I can't hear to undestand English.

Study more hard….

03:17 AM May 09 2009 |

Likes (27):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook