Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Sports Drinks

Sports Drinks

Date: Jun 06 2003

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

When you’re working out, it’s vitally important to stay hydrated. To stay at peak performance, you have to consume lots of fluids. Water is always a great way to go, but if you get bored with water you can try a sports drink.
Sports drinks are ubiquitous in the U.S.. There are many different brands in many different flavors. If you’re in the mood for refreshment, read on to learn about some of the most popular sports drinks on the market.

Dialog

1. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Sports drinks have been popular for many years, but in the past 10 years consumption of sports drinks has exploded. People who want to live happy, healthy lives are exercising more and eating better. Sports drinks are a convenient part of a healthy diet.
Check out some of the best sports drinks available:
Gatorade
Gatorade is the granddaddy of sports drinks. Invented by scientists on the University of Florida campus in the 1960’s, Gatorade has become the most popular sports drink in the world. Spokespeople for the group include world-famous athletes like basketball player Michael Jordan and soccer player Mia Hamm. Gatorade comes in many different flavors, including the traditional lemon-lime and the strange “Cool Blue.”
Powerade
Powerade is similar to Gatorade, but it doesn’t come in nearly as many flavors. Powerade’s claim to fame is that it provides more energy than Gatorade, which basically means it has more sugar.
All Sport
Produced by the Pepsi-Cola Company and promoted by Shaquille O’Neal, All Sport is another Gatorade copy.
Recharge
Recharge is the all natural sports drink. It tastes much more like fruit juice than any of the others.
Homemade
You can easily make your own sports drink. Just mix 1/4 fruit juice with 3/4 water and throw in a pinch of salt!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

The best way to avoid dehydration is to drink lots of fluids. Drink before, during and after a workout. Don’t wait until you feel thirsty! By the time you feel thirsty you may already be dehydrated.
Avoid drinks with caffeine or alcohol which are thought to have a dehydrating effect. Carbonated drinks tend to make you feel full, making it difficult to drink enough – which means you should stay away from drinks like Red Bull if you’re going to be exercising.
Stay cool!
- John

Comments

careygold

Germany

Sports Drinks are helpful for the sports persons..

PGA Championship live

11:49 AM Aug 10 2011 |

ferapuc

ferapuc

Italy

Gatorade is the best really, have a good flavor

12:53 PM Jan 28 2008 |

waelkhribeh

Jordan

i preffer water

04:33 PM Jan 27 2008 |

hihi903

hihi903

Hong Kong

I prefer drink water rather than those sports drink.

03:03 PM Jan 27 2008 |

matteo-italy-85

Italy

WHEN I’M RUNNING OUT I DRINK A LOT SPORT DRINK…AND THE BEST DRINK IS GATERODE!

09:17 AM Jan 27 2008 |

KIRON

Bangladesh

sports drink is worldwidely speard.many people take it.

05:55 AM Jan 27 2008 |

KIRON

Bangladesh

soft drinks can also
regin the energy

05:46 AM Jan 27 2008 |

crazychef

China

I would also like to clarify that not all the sport drinks contain preservatives, only the carbonated drinks may contain those, you can read the label before you buy…

09:35 AM Jan 26 2008 |

crazychef

China

why the sport drinks are better than purified water for avoiding dehydation ? the fact is: the ions compositions( sodium, potassium, mag…) in sport drinks are similar with those in our body fluid. 

09:31 AM Jan 26 2008 |

mim_dica

mim_dica

India

dirinking sports drinks is very nececery for every person specially in summer season .bcz in that season our body consumes more water than any other,so drink lots of sports drinks it will keep u fresh  .and dont forget to workout daily in the morning ,the reason for exercising in the morning is that the environment will be very cool ,so stay healthy always. 

08:53 PM Jan 25 2008 |

Benny.Hu

Benny.Hu

China

It sounds well,all of them are fresh to me.i’d rather drink pure water

08:43 AM Jan 25 2008 |

liuyulei3933

China

Laughing

11:19 AM Jan 24 2008 |

liuyulei3933

China

Laughing

11:19 AM Jan 24 2008 |

Al-Khansa

Saudi Arabia

I never drink sport drinks ..

and I will not do en sha'a ALLAH

Water is the beast ..

05:26 PM Jan 22 2008 |

Rick085

Rick085

Dominican Republic

is good drink gatorate but if u can drink water

04:08 PM Jan 22 2008 |

mation

China

hi my names mation ,i am16 and come from china ,so ilike speke english is ever much

02:35 PM Jan 22 2008 |

mation

China

this is slunse off

02:31 PM Jan 22 2008 |

parsaparastar

Lebanon

The text has suggested sports drink as an alternative. but it has forgotten something important. u know most of sports drinks have preservative that is not good for health in future.

so i suggest something else. that is Mineral Water. its great for our health because it contains of calcium, magnecium,sodium and many things that are our need to remain healthy.

stay cool without sports drinks!!Smile

11:51 AM Jan 20 2008 |

alaaasd

alaaasd

Jordan

im working out sport veary hardly and i ned to drink some thing aftr evry exsersise

08:57 AM Jan 16 2008 |

mohan_pardhu

India

I WOULD RECOMMEND NATURAL DRINKING WATER.YOU KNOW ONE THING COOL DRINKS DAMAGE YOUR TEETH.BETTER DEINK DAILY 5-6-L OF WATER BE HEALTHY.

01:56 AM Jan 15 2008 |

Likes (83):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast