Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Unusual Hotels of the World

Unusual Hotels of the World

Date: Jul 02 2021

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Sure, the Peninsula Hotel in Bangkok is one of the best hotels in the world. Its rooms are hip and minimalist and smell like anise. But wouldn’t you rather ditch the snobbish luxury and, instead, nestle yourself under a fur blanket in a hotel made of ice?

Listen to Emily and Logan talk about their vacation plans and a really unique hotel.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Emily

Emily

Logan

Logan

Emily:  So, where do you want to go on vacation this year? I know we’ve been talking about this a lot.

Logan:  Well…

Emily:  I mean, do you want to do something, you know, we could go back to, ah, Florida, or back to California like we’ve done in the past.

Logan:  I’d kind of like to get out of the country, actually.

Emily:  Oh.

Logan:  I’ve never been out of the country except for Canada.

Emily:  Hm. Yeah, that doesn’t count.

Logan:  That doesn’t count, no.

Emily:  What are you thinking? Like, Australia? Europe? Where do you want to go?

Logan:  Australia sounds fun, but I’d really like to go to Sweden.

Emily:  There are some nice luxury hotels there.

Logan:  Yeah, I was more looking on the lines of, ah, there’s this website “Unusual Hotels of the World”...

Emily:  Huh! Sounds interesting.

Logan:  ...and there’s this place called The Woodpecker Hotel. I’ll let you read it and see what you think.

Emily:  Interesting. Ah, “thirteen meters above the ground.”

Logan:  Yeah.

Emily:  “In an oak tree.” Um, I don’t know about climbing a ladder every time we want to get in and out of our room, and…

Logan:  It’d be good exercise.

Emily:  ”...receiving food via a basket attached to a pulley.”

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

There is no shortage of traditional hotels around the world. Most people think of their hotel room as just a place to drop their bags while they explore the local sites. But, for those who like to travel off the beaten path, for those who like to make their travels unique and memorable, there are some really fascinating places to stay around the world.

The site Unusual Hotels of the World lists all kinds of unusual hotels, from hotels under water to hotels perched up in the trees.

Comments

luckseven

luckseven

China

i hope to have chance to stay in  the Peninsula Hotel that is one of the best hotle in the world.

01:08 PM Mar 03 2014 |

Son of English

Hong Kong

The ex-military barracks hostel in Ljubljana is pretty cool. It’s next to an art commune and each room has been designed by a different artist. I’m not sure what the name of the place is…

03:11 PM Oct 25 2012 |

princessanika

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

i know this hotel.i know wher is it.in of one of  my English book wrote about  it.it is in Island,in the pacific ocean.u arrive by private boat or plane.stay in a room on the island,or take an elevator down and stay in a room 40 feet under water.u can watch and feed fish from your room!there are activities on the island for children adults. has 73 rooms,6 resturants,swimming pool and spa and gym.Laughing

10:41 AM Oct 25 2012 |

lily zeng

lily zeng

China

It will be interesting if have a chance to stay a night in a woodpecker hotel .

10:56 AM Nov 11 2007 |

Catarina

Catarina

Russian Federation

Wonderful!

07:57 PM Jun 01 2006 |

ceceily

China

I agree with xyu.
Or put it at the bottom.

01:48 PM Jun 01 2006 |

xyu

xyu

China

i think it is better if u can put the radio in the middle of page in order that we can play repeatly nomatter we are in the top part of text or bottom part.Thanks

04:21 PM May 31 2006 |

abhishek

abhishek

India

primarily, the use of the slang “off the beaten” seems very impressive

09:10 AM May 27 2006 |

Likes (51):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace