Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Ayumi Hamasaki

Ayumi Hamasaki

Date: Jun 04 2007

Themes: Music

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Is it just a coincidence that most famous musicians are beautiful? It sometimes seems odd that there are many brilliant, but less-than-perfect-looking performers without many fans, while good looking, but less talented artists play to huge audiences. Listen to Kevin and Amanda talk about a young star who they think might be selling records just because she’s cute.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Kevin

Kevin

Amanda

Amanda

Kevin:  Have you heard about this pop sensation Japanese 16-year-old Ayumi Hamasaki?

Amanda:  Yes, from Tokyo. I actually was watching Fuse, that alternative, what is that, cable network for music, and she was all over it and she is quite the sensation in Tokyo and she’s the number one pop star, in fact, one of the number one rated female talents. But have you listened to her?

Kevin:  I haven’t.

Amanda:  It’s okay, it’s very bubble gummy, but have you seen her?

Kevin:  She’s pretty hot isn’t she.

Amanda:  She’s so cute, she looks like one of those little Japanese comics or cartoon characters. It’s that angelic and that perfect, so it makes you wonder.

Kevin:  Interesting. Is she very pale?

Amanda:  Yes, she is.

Kevin:  Interesting…that attraction to very white skin.

Amanda:  Perfect skin.

Kevin:  Amazing. But her talent…not so talented…

Amanda:  She’s 16, so there you go.

Kevin:  Well, you know, now she has years to blossom into something.

Amanda:  And who’s to say her voice won’t change. For better or worse I’m not sure.

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Kevin asks Amanda if she knows anything about Ayumi Hamasaki, a Japanese pop star. Amanda is familiar with Hamasaki and tells Kevin that she is very successful in Japan.

But Amanda thinks Hamasaki’s music isn’t all that great. She hints that the pop star’s fame may be due to her good looks. Amanda tells Kevin that Hamasaki is so cute she looks like an animated character. In fact, Hamasaki’s youthful looks cause Amanda to think she is much younger than she is. Hamasaki is actually 28 years old, not 16 as Amanda says in the dialogue.

Kevin notes that, since she is so young, Hamasaki has plenty of time to improve. Amanda jokingly reminds Kevin that Hamasaki could also get worse.

Is there anyone you think is famous just because he or she is good looking? Do any of your favorite pop stars have a more average, less-than-perfect appearance?

Comments

Sid_indore

Sid_indore

India

Well i ll have to listen to her then i can comment. 

11:25 AM Jun 17 2017 |

tagasgay

tagasgay

Gibraltar

well things  make noice i think what can i do now well te most wonderful thing its the school and bye pass and girls  can you ride it?

11:29 AM Jun 26 2008 |

shok0.28

shok0.28

Japan

I like Ayumi Hamasaki.

She is very cute, and sing beautiful song.

I want to go to her concert.

08:18 AM Apr 30 2008 |

Wanna

Wanna

China

Maybe good looking will be a great help for an artist to achieve his or her success .but in my opinion , what's the most important point is that a good artist should have real ability .say ,a singer can sing beautiful songs ,and if she can write some good lyrics ,that would be more perfect .i like some singers not because his or her attractive face ,but her voice and her talents。。。。。。

02:20 AM Dec 24 2007 |

aheyi

United Kingdom

Hi/Merhaba Ayumi,
I partly agree with what you claim about singers and stars physical appearnce..however ı have a personal opinion that attitudes and behaviours are more important and humanistic thoughts.
I am a fan of Japanese pop..could u send me some of ur favourite songs to me?
All the best
Ahmet

12:02 PM Nov 29 2007 |

annie starra natta

Indonesia

Oh yeah, is she really 16???  As young as me? I doubt that.. xP

Anyway, i like her music. Her music is catchy.

I am an Indonesian and naturally is not impressed by the way Japaneses sing, anyway the music that accompanies is the heart-enlightening factor. I like her,  I have albums of hers.

You guys who happen to havent heard her music, try to hear it..

one word for a review: her music is catchy 

03:58 AM Nov 23 2007 |

annie starra natta

Indonesia

Yeah, the real entertainment world seems to be just like this.

I totally agree..

The beautifully beautiful ones win the public, the cute ones, the stylish ones..

It's not hard to set our eyes on them, right..

BUT ALSO

these days as what i have observed, even plain-looking artists (singers, actors/actresses, etc) owe big time help by money and fashion, you know. So, even though they are not that beautiful, they are considered the 'in' and able to win the public hearts over.

So far, i come to conclude that everyone is beautiful or handsome in her/his own way, personality is the thing that will lead them to their ways.

03:54 AM Nov 23 2007 |

tagasgay

tagasgay

Gibraltar

fgfgs

08:26 PM Nov 20 2007 |

greek rapper

Greece

I agree with Natalia,It is an event that being cute is helpful for an artist and not bad at all.No case Natalia said that it’s the most important.My opinion is that an artist must be very good at his/her object.For me a true artist must be spiritual man who cares about the sociallity, helps around and doesn’t try to get rich by taking advantage of the people.A real angel like her! ;)

07:49 PM Nov 20 2007 |

kimi++

kimi++

China

i like her,she’s so beautiful,the translation becomes chinese call 滨崎步(bin qi bu)

03:48 PM Nov 19 2007 |

1 person likes this

tagasgay

tagasgay

Gibraltar

sdds

12:36 PM Nov 19 2007 |

tagasgay

tagasgay

Gibraltar

l

05:11 PM Nov 18 2007 |

tagasgay

tagasgay

Gibraltar

kjk

05:11 PM Nov 18 2007 |

sawakura

Viet Nam

i think Ayumi's 29 year old now ??? She was born in 1978

03:07 PM Jul 21 2007 |

dickkid

China

she is not 16!!!!

now she must over 25

01:55 PM Jun 23 2007 |

idalili

Hong Kong

i don't know her. I never listen her music

02:03 AM Jun 19 2007 |

Takamasa Masuoka

Japan

I think she looks very good now. And I like her songs. However, I heard she have had cosmetic surgery before. So, I don`t like her 100%.

02:27 AM Jun 11 2007 |

darncc

China

i like her because she is cute.

01:09 PM Jun 10 2007 |

English rocks

South Korea

I agree with you!

01:55 AM Jun 10 2007 |

ryoko*

Japan

She is a great musician♪

I love her song's melody and lyrics♥

I don't think musician should be good looking…

but, Ayu is really cute~:9

12:40 AM Jun 10 2007 |

Likes (86):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog: