Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in
Spoken English Course Day 7

Spoken English Course Day 7

Date: Mar 02 2011

Topic: Idioms and Slang

Author: andylu2

Lesson

I just got some motivation from a lesson I just read about "bumming around".  In case you didn't read the lesson, it basically means to waste time and do nothing important with your life.

I really like that phrase and I wanted to add some extra info about it for everyone else.

First of all, it reminds me of when I was a kid.  My dad used to always tell me to "quit bumming around".  He'd also say things like, "You can't bum around here all your life.  You will need to find a job and support yourself one day". 

I just wanted to point out that a lot of people's parents actually say this phrase to their kids. 

Another term you may or may not know is "procrastinating".  This is when you know you should do something, like homework, but instead you waste time by watching TV or think of some other "creative" ways to waste time.  

You procrastinate doing the things you know you should do but don't want to do.  It's a bad habit that I'm sure we've all experienced at some point.

Anyway, I also wanted to point out that "bumming around" is sometimes quite similar to "procrastinating".

Some parent could say: "quit procrastinating and do your homework".

They could also choose to say: "Why don't you get your homework done instead of bumming around all day". 

I hope you check out and all my lessons. I'll keep writing every day if enough people are interested.   Here is my first day of the Online English course

I'll make sure I answer any questions or comments.

Also, if you are really serious about improving your English speaking and actually sounding just like a real native speaker, check out this Cool

Online Spoken English Course

Comments

RUBA

RUBA

Jordan

i'm happy because ur reply :))

mmm,, it's a nice life, in jordan we help each othar.

it's simple and hard life..

i wish i can write more and more, but my bad language didn't help me :S

thanx alot :)

09:56 PM Mar 15 2011 |

andylu2

andylu2

Canada

Hi RUBA,

No problem.  It's great that you are interested in learning English.  It's interesting to see so many people from so many different countries.  Can you tell me a bit about life in Jordan?  Thanks!

06:52 PM Mar 11 2011 |

RUBA

RUBA

Jordan

Thank u very much,, I'm really interested :)

11:24 AM Mar 09 2011 |

Best1

Israel

Thank you

07:17 PM Mar 08 2011 |

andylu2

andylu2

Canada

Hi guys, it's great that you've all understood the phrase.  One key that I just wanted to make sure that you remember is to try to use these phrases I'm teaching as soon as possible.  I know it's so easy to learn a phrase, understand it, wait a couple weeks, and forget it.  I just wanted to remind you to try to not let this happen to you.  If you use a phrase even a few times naturally when you get a chance, it will really help to push it into your long term memory.

06:07 PM Mar 08 2011 |

alpha girl

alpha girl

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

It's so usefull Cool

03:45 AM Mar 06 2011 |

hnajel

hnajel

Germany

Thank you,Andylu2!

04:09 PM Mar 05 2011 |

murad ali

murad ali

Yemen

it is a new word and thank you for add something new  to us

05:37 AM Mar 05 2011 |

lynn629

lynn629

China

I've come across bumming around in oral english lesson once, well u help me figure it out and know it more clearly.  thanx a lot andy

09:57 AM Mar 04 2011 |

jossef 002010

Morocco

Hey andy

Its first time that i hear this words , its new for me.. i really benefited

thx alot teacher 

12:47 AM Mar 04 2011 |

white jasmin

Saudi Arabia

hi how do you do thanks for all your lessons

03:35 PM Mar 03 2011 |

Jungmi

Jungmi

South Korea

You've done it again Andy!  Great work.

I really appreciate the detailed explanations 

11:31 AM Mar 03 2011 |

andylu2

andylu2

Canada

Hi Cathy,

Sorry, I don't use MSN.  I hope these lessons will help you improve though.

09:12 AM Mar 03 2011 |

Cathy dream

China

hi,andylu2,

i want to improve my English ,can you help me? can you give me your msn? thank you

08:26 AM Mar 03 2011 |

andylu2

andylu2

Canada

Anytime Criz. 

Procrastinating is pronounced like:

"Pro-Kras-tin-ate-ing"

Hope that makes it easier.

08:19 AM Mar 03 2011 |

andylu2

andylu2

Canada