Social_nav_masthead_logged_in
Spoken English Course Day 23

Spoken English Course Day 23

Date: Mar 19 2011

Topic: Idioms and Slang

Author: andylu2

Lesson

Hey guys,

Today I wanted to talk about something that I am sure happens all over the world.  

It is a "double standard"

This, again, is a super useful phrase to have "in your back pocket".  That means "use when you need it.

If someone has a "double standard" it basically means that they think it's ok for one kind of person to do something but not ok for a different kind of person to do the same thing.  They have 2 standards for each person.

A classic and common example is this.  This one example should really help you clear up this meaning.  

If a father thinks it's ok for his 16 year old son to start dating girls but it's NOT ok for his 16 year old daughter to start dating guys, then he has a "double standard".  

If you ever come across a situation like this then you will know what to call it.

I hope you check out my free style blog and get the PDF's in my little email course I think you'll like.  The blog is under a section I call my online spoken English course.

I'm making a lesson on here each day and I love seeing everyone comment and share in the discussion.  Here is yesterday's English lesson

Comments

Zambuka

Zambuka

United States

double standart situations are pretty common)) 

03:39 PM Mar 30 2011 |

sara70

sara70

Saudi Arabia

I like ur lessons they are very useful and gives me new information 

thanks 

10:08 PM Mar 23 2011 |

luvik palestine

Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Maybe It Means "UnFair " , or maybe have two characters !!

Hmmmm donno actually , i have got it but i can`t explain it too !

11:43 PM Mar 20 2011 |

kevin12345679

China

Don't have double standard on anyone!

In China, one saying goes: Don't treat others with anything you won't be treated!

03:46 PM Mar 20 2011 |

TranceGirl85

Netherlands

hahha oh i have trouble with finding  a good example for this phrase too,but i am sure i get it!!:)

Thanks Andy! very usefull,i didn't hear it before.

01:15 PM Mar 19 2011 |

Likes (12):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast