Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Zombies
Zombies

Learn English with this zombies English lesson

Date: Oct 04 2013

Themes: Pop Culture

Grammar: Second Conditional Progressive

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Do you believe in the zombie apocalypse? Is it possible that one day, corpses will become reanimated and rise from their graves? Probably not, but it can be fun to imagine how you might react in a worst case scenario. What would you do if you were surrounded by zombies?

Zombies are famous for slowly lumbering down dark streets. Yet they still manage to catch people, which is what scares the pants off of movie lovers. Somehow slow-moving zombies trap people in their homes, afraid and unable to leave. Surely people can run faster than zombies, right? Not in zombie movies. That’s what makes them so entertaining!

Find out if Lily and Greta are ready for zombies in this English lesson about a popular movie monster.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Greta

Greta

Lily

Lily

Greta:  Lily, how do you think you would do in the zombie apocalypse?

Lily:  I don’t know. I think about it a lot, and really, it just makes me nervous because I don’t know how self-sufficient I would be in that situation. How about you?

Greta:  I have thought about it in terms of which of my friends’ houses is the safest, and where to get the canned food, but there are certain things that I would really be struggling with. When corpses reanimated, dead people are coming at you… I don’t have a gun and I don’t know how to aim for the head, and all of those things that you see in the zombie movies. Where you have to get them in the head? I could not do that.

Lily:  Zombies walk pretty slowly, don’t they? So you could just run away, right?

Greta:  If you’re talking about the zombies that rise from the grave, they move slowly and they’re sort of lumbering with their arms out. But the zombies who have a virus that is transmitted through bite, they tend to run really fast.

Lily:  There are just too many options. It all just scares the pants off of me. I can’t deal with it!

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Second Conditional Progressive" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Greta has been thinking a lot about what she would do in a zombie apocalypse. Maybe too much. She thinks about where she would hide, what she would eat and how she would kill zombies that are attacking her. She’s definitely prepared.

It’s clear that Lily hasn’t thought about it very much, and maybe would rather not. There are too many things to consider and worry about for Lily. She’s hoping that if zombies ever came to life, they would move so slowly that she could run from them. She prefers to believe that than to think about shooting monsters in the head.

Do you like to imagine a world with zombies? How would you stay alive? Is thinking about zombies fun and silly, or is it unhealthy to think that way?

Comments

Ramses98

Ramses98

Germany

I think we are very close to the apocalypse…unfortunately not a zombie apocalypse, this would be easier to overcome

01:50 PM May 01 2017 |

1 person likes this

Staisy

Staisy

Russian Federation

I’ ve  watched an old black and white movie about zombie apocalypse once. In its storyline, a few  survived people blocked inside  the house and corpses from all around tryed to get in. I am not a horror lover, but i watched this movie till the end, as it was very tensity  and seemed interesting to me.

09:06 PM Mar 13 2014 |

Sandra95

Sandra95

Sweden

haha, i like to play zombie role in a film, or zombie apprearence in halloween.. its likable and funny :X im gonna eat you :W

09:13 AM Feb 09 2014 |

rihadarif

Bangladesh

That would be great if we become zombies. I woild kill some first before I trun into a zombie.. I am just kidding …not really …haha

01:53 PM Nov 17 2013 |

bonnierhett

China

i like to play zombies vs plants :P

12:48 PM Oct 09 2013 |

yousefkohpeyma

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

Well, when I watch movies with horror genre in this regard, I do really imagine it. By way of example, in the movie “warm bodies” I saw zombies extend their teritory, eat non-zombies and so forth. On the other hand, people built tall walls around their city protecting them from zombies. When it came to exciting moments of the movie, I sort of found myself in. However, it is unlikely that zombies ever come to this world, I like such imaginations with which life becomes more exciting. If zombies came and moved slowly, it would be very easy to figure it out how to deal with them.

06:36 PM Oct 08 2013 |

1 person likes this

amychen3

amychen3

China

it  looks good to me 

06:29 AM Oct 08 2013 |

amychen3

amychen3

China

It looks good to me

06:28 AM Oct 08 2013 |

am.h768

am.h768

of course I don’t belive in zombies.but that’s really fun to imagine that you traped in that kind of situation and what will you do when nothing is the same anymore no more tv no more internet no more car and tons of other thing that our life depended on them.

06:19 PM Oct 07 2013 |

Foundofenglish

Tunisia

what was that for Admin ! i just overcome the fear of Zombies :’(

03:00 PM Oct 07 2013 |

kenlin16

kenlin16

Taiwan

Zombie… nnh ..quite interesting at first glance but lost interest after the same settings, scences and plots have been played again and again. It’s also hard to believe anything that die can reanimate themselves. However there is a group of people frightening me more than zombines;they are coo-coo people. Basically, they are drug addicts who could do anything just to get high. Drug addicts, I guessed, have no soul and they are the closest thing  to zombies.

02:37 PM Oct 06 2013 |

leilahavaneh

it’s horrible if they are but it’s way good in movies ,cause i love horror movies.

12:16 PM Oct 06 2013 |

roze252

roze252

Palestinian Territory, Occupied

I can’t imagine myself watching those people and still alive then !

12:08 PM Oct 06 2013 |

luckylucky

luckylucky

Turkey

if they are reall ı wanted to be friends with them:)))))

11:15 AM Oct 06 2013 |

andrespretty2

Colombia

In a world with Zombies, I had all kind of weapons to attack them, I think it would be complicated to get food, that’s why at the end we would have to kill people to get food and to survive.

01:04 AM Oct 06 2013 |

erfan10

erfan10

preety use ful

02:53 PM Oct 05 2013 |

HOMELAND

HOMELAND

i remember a lesson with name of zombies in past in english baby but with other image!

09:31 AM Oct 05 2013 |

rara_fe

rara_fe

Indonesia

I like zombie movie, I think it’s so cool. sometimes I have imaganie to go to zombie land, and I want to like in movie. feel how that scared, kill them by gun. walk on quiet street, without people, we can go to every house in that land and chck it one by one. I think it’s cool ^^

07:57 AM Oct 05 2013 |

D93

D93

India

Yes, I like the horror movies coz i take it like a story as others but i hardly imagine our world with Zombies !!

07:29 AM Oct 05 2013 |

1 person likes this

julito

julito

Argentina

mitya, I agree with your post. Some people behave as if they were possessed by evil spirits. They come forward as real zombies and we must better be on guard  or not getting in the way  of their wrongdoings. 

06:55 PM Oct 04 2013 |

1 person likes this

Likes (27):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog: