Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Parenting
Parenting

Learn English with this children English lesson

Date: Oct 23 2019

Themes: Family, Time

Grammar: It's vs. Its

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

It may seem hard to believe, but one day you might be a parent. And it will probably be harder and much more different than you expected it to be. Everything has changed since you were little, even what a typical family looks like. And there are hundreds of books out there that can teach you what you’re doing right and wrong.

Most people don’t need a book, though. If you decide you want to become a mom or dad, you already like kids and want to care for them. With the internet, you can ask millions of people questions about what to do when you’re confused. Or you can walk to the house next door, like your parents did when you were little, and ask your neighbor for help.

Did Amanda have her baby, or is someone else talking about parenting? Read on to find out in today’s English lesson about having kids.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Marni

Marni

Rafael

Rafael

Marni:  Oh, Rafael. I am just so exhausted. I was up all night with my new baby.

Rafael:  Oh my god! How does it feel like to be a new mom?

Marni:  It’s great. I mean, I love bonding with my baby. But I have to be honest. Sometimes the responsibility is so overwhelming. I kind of miss my freedom.

Rafael:  But what about the connection? Do you feel like it’s a really gratifying bond that you have with your new baby?

Marni:  Absolutely. She is amazing. I love her to death, and I wouldn’t trade her for the world. But sometimes I just think there’s all this pressure to be this perfect mom and to do everything for her. And sometimes it’s just kind of overwhelming.

Rafael:  As much as I’d like to be in the club as far as parenting goes, that’s what scares me away from it.

Marni:  You don’t want to have any regrets, though, so definitely think it through. Having a child is a really huge responsibility.

Rafael:  I trust your judgment, for sure, and I’ll think about it. But it’s also about meeting the right person.

Marni:  That’s very true.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "It's vs. Its" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Marni is exhausted. She was awake all night with her baby, and she didn’t get enough sleep. Having a baby has been a gratifying experience for Marni, so she doesn’t have any regrets. She misses the freedom she had when she wasn’t a mom, though. It’s hard to do whatever she wants now that she has such a big responsibility.

Rafael is interested in being a father one day, but not right now. Stories like Marni’s are a little overwhelming to him, and he doesn’t even have a girlfriend, anyway. He knows there’s time, so for now, Rafael is happy to hear about parenting from someone else. It sounds like a lot of work!

Do you think it was hard for your parents when you were growing up, or were you the perfect child? What’s it like being a parent today?

Comments

leilahavaneh

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

it was way difficult for them that’s for sure.i come from a big familly which the children have little age difrences n my parents had to take care of us during working n bad situation bcoz of war years.how can we make up their kindness ? now being a parent is more difficult i guess. u contract with a larger world n lots of problems with this .

04:19 AM Apr 11 2014 |

bravevivian

Ecuador

I’m sure it was hard for my parents when I was growing up.  They had to work and take care of me.  Having children is not easy at all.  Everything that happens to your children affects parents.  Either school, a sickness, time with friends, or even the tv programs they are able to watch.  Everything…

I think being a parent today is even more difficult.  There is more information, insecurity and lack of values.  So you got to be strong and mature to guide your children and to teach them how to become fullfilled people.

10:56 PM Mar 16 2014 |

1 person likes this

ahmet55

ahmet55

Germany

Of course it is. Parent-child love is THE BEST THING SINCE THE SLICED BREAD, true love, i guess. According to my past story my mother has a key role on my growing up in the past. Bcz my twine sister and I were raised together it was very hard for my mom to look after us for all day long and provide everything for our bringing up very well. On the other hand, allegedly to relatives, i was extremely bothering boy when i was a child, although i highly deny that. It is obvious that it’s so hard to accept a responsibility against a new born child. But this is the world we live in we have to have our own family and new life. Anyway, I love to be a father.

09:06 AM Mar 16 2014 |

1 person likes this

S&W

S&W

China

It’s very hard for my parents during my growing up,Even my relatives recalled my childhood ,they just shake their head and decipt how much troubles i had given to my parents.In my memory,I always crying and easy to get sick.My brother was a perfect child.My mom often want me to be quite like my brother.

Being a parent,Oh god,My workmate just gave birth ,One day she was exhaust ,she said “how i wish i could let her back to my belly.”

10:34 AM Mar 13 2014 |

1 person likes this

Rotsen

Rotsen

Venezuela

I think that parenting is a huge responsability for me right now. It’s like Marni said: Goodbye go to the party, goodbye go to the movie, goodbye go to beach with your friends or whatever, You’re going to miss all these things. Anyway, despite all the freedom you could lose, It ends being a bless and a gratifying moment for both.

But in my case, I’m very young to think about parenting right now xD

03:03 AM Mar 13 2014 |

1 person likes this

raybanbcn

raybanbcn

Spain

to be parent is the more important decision in your life. Like says this text your life will change forever. Parenting is an important work, and is a fulltime work, if you child has sick, you have to take care it. If you is convinced is the better thing that you can be in this life. I would to be father in a future. 

09:06 PM Mar 12 2014 |

ahmed20016

ahmed20016

Sudan

it’s was hard to my parents when i was child they were suffer to growigng me up … but they wouldn’t trade me for the world. but now days things changed worse and parent are not bonding to there childeren

06:35 PM Mar 12 2014 |

1 person likes this

eduard12

eduard12

Ecuador

well,i think that i was i great baby hahah i dont know i dont remenber

06:30 PM Mar 12 2014 |

sara1998

sara1998

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

I hate childeren and growing them up…I can’t stand them when they cry…I realy like to kill them!

You know what’s intresting?I hate them but i don’t know why childeren love me!

05:24 PM Mar 12 2014 |

2 people like this

alexa1

alexa1

Saudi Arabia

parents like the light in your life, no one can fill in their place. and they do what they do with a big smile. but how we can give them what they deserve, here the problem. 

when i were a kid i think i were a nice girl :)

05:11 PM Mar 12 2014 |

nadyanood2

nadyanood2

Tunisia

I totally agree that parenting is a huge responsibility because you have pay attention to the children all the time , especially that they do not talk so you have to get what they need just from their crying or their angelic behavior !

I love children ! and I think that they bring happiness the parent’s life thanks to the energy they bring to the house ! that’s what mum says all the time :D

11:07 AM Mar 12 2014 |

Jeckily

Jeckily

Serbia and Montenegro

I think than Having a baby is the most satisfying experience. I agree it’s a lot of work and very huge responsibility, but in that emotional period nothing is so hard. Sleepless nights, baby’s crying and exhaustion as a result of all that, are somehow very sweet. :) Observing my friends who have already achieved as parents, I can conclude that a man is never fully prepared for that role, but when it has already happende, everything becomes just naturally. Of course that birth of child requires some changes in life, but I think it’s better. Nowdays, it’s much harder to raise children then in time we ourselves were children, because there is no secure employment, everything is much more risky. But when you really want something, you’ll find a way…

09:47 AM Mar 12 2014 |

Eric_

Eric_

China

I can learn from my friends that it is a tough job to raise a child nowadays. Some of them don’t get full preparation before having a child,as the girl got pregnant before get married when they fell in love…..

In my memory,when i was born,my parents needed to do the farm work.It was very hard for them to raise me and my older sisters. They got up early and arrived at home late.At that time,I could only stay with my grandma at home….

Now,all I can do is to let my parents live a happy live….........

06:16 AM Mar 12 2014 |

Sandara_Dada

Thailand

Being parents it kind of hard works :) I knew because my dad he has me since he was young and also my mom has been passed away since I was only 11 years old , so my dad he has become a single dad and has to looked after 2 kids , He was working hard and owed a fincancial aid . He always tells me that he never regreats it and I asked him why ? and He said ” one day if you become a parents you will understand. though . being parents it seems like a hard work and you gonna lose your general life but at the same time , you’d get something so valueable back and make your life happy ever after.

03:11 AM Mar 12 2014 |

sandraa95

sandraa95

Sweden

frankly i was a playful child as my mother said and i remmeber… once i was going to hit my parent head by some thing like rock:Ddamn ya.. but i was quite while we had gustes or in crowded places..when i think i realize that, that time maybe i was getting confused by croweded place in was on my nerve.
and about being parent? Come on… :\ it soon for us :D ye right.. we r just yesterday’s babies :3

12:32 AM Mar 12 2014 |

AryelLanes

AryelLanes

Brazil

Mom used to tell me that it’s not so easy to bring up a child, but I always took her for granted. I’m not a parent, but sometimes I babysit my nephews and my nieces. I totally get what she told me now, and it’s definitely NOT an easy task! You’re the one in charge and, for this, you have to do everything to keep them from crying and away from trouble. Children have an infinite energy… They never stop playing! Get ready for restless days… Hahaha

This made me realize that I’m not ready to be a dad yet… I do like children, but you have to be up to embrace a huge responsibility – one that will literally take your freedom away. You don’t only have to like them – almost everyone does. You have to keep your feet on the ground and see if you’re really ready for taking charge. After the decision is made, there’s no way back.

11:32 AM Mar 11 2014 |

Likes (19):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast