Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in
how to hear english everywhere

how to hear english everywhere

Date: Sep 25 2007

Topic: Listening

Author: foudel

Lesson

Two simple definitions to hear: to receive sound with the ears to listen: to try to hear You are very good at languages. That's obvious, because you already speak one language very well - your own! And if you can learn and speak one language well, then you can certainly learn and speak one or more other languages. But did you ever ask yourself: "How did I learn my own language?" In fact, you never really "learned" it at all - you just started speaking it. One day, when you were about two or three years old, you started speaking your language. A few words at first, not full sentences. But you spoke. And very soon you made progress without even thinking about it. It was like magic! But it wasn't magic. It was the result of hearing. For two to three years before you spoke, you heard people speaking your language all day, and maybe all night. You heard people speaking your language. Maybe you listened to people, but more importantly you heard. them. Then, as if by magic, you started to speak. All that hearing was necessary for you to start speaking. For two to three years words went IN to your head. Then words came OUT of your head! That is why hearing (and listening to) English as much as possible is so important to you now. The more English you put in, the more you'll get out! So how can you hear a lot of English when you're not in an English-speaking country or family? Fortunately, there are many ways of hearing English in almost all countries of the world. Radio You can receive English language radio in most countries. Two of the best international networks are the BBC World Service and Voice of America. Both of them have special programmes for learners of English. You can find information about times and frequencies for your country on their web sites. Click here for links to radio stations. Television TV is an excellent resource for hearing and listening to English. The pictures help you understand what is being said. If you don't have access to English-language TV, you may be able to watch TV on Internet. Internet It is now a lot easier to hear English by Internet. If you're reading this at your computer, you can probably listen to some English-language radio news right now, without even moving! To be able to listen to radio on the Internet, you'll need to have special software called a "player" installed in your computer. Most sites work with two players - the RealPlayer from RealNetworks and the Windows Media Player from Microsoft. Don't worry. Both these players are free and you may already have them installed on your computer. Music/songs Songs in English are everywhere, even on foreign-language radio and TV stations. Listen to them often. Buy some cassettes or CDs, or make recordings, and try to write the words for an entire song. But choose one that is not too difficult. That means it should be reasonably slow, and with real words sung clearly. Some pop songs are very unclear and are difficult even for native English-speakers to understand fully! Cinema Outside the English-speaking world, many large cities have cinemas that show films in English, usually with sub-titles. Make it a habit to go to these films. If you need to read the sub-titles, at least you'll be hearing English even if you don't understand it. Video Video has one really great advantage. You can play it again . . . and again. You can use video to watch film cassettes that you buy or borrow. If there are sub-titles, you can cover them with paper (which you can remove if you really don't understand after listening several times). And you can use video to record programmes from television and then watch them several times to improve your understanding. Friends Try to make friends with English-speaking people so that you can practise your English through conversation. Of course, this will practise your speaking as well as your listening. And if you don't have a lot of time to go out and meet people, at least you can chat a little by telephone. Finally, don't worry if you don't understand everything you hear. Hearing comes first! Understanding comes next!

Comments

royalmayur

United Kingdom

I am completely agree with you in all way, 

i love to chat and watching english movies as it helps me a lot. and new english file pre intermediate exercises will making me perfect.

Thanks for sharing 

08:35 AM Jan 27 2011 |

roulette

roulette

Indonesia

YEAH I AGREE WITH JACKY ^^.. LETS CHAT

12:45 AM Aug 24 2009 |

come to me

come to me

China

good ,I hold the same view as you.

03:34 AM Aug 22 2009 |

honlam

Viet Nam

I want to practice English by hear everywhere, everydays. can you help me . thanks a lot

05:04 AM Sep 25 2008 |

littledevil_blue

Thailand

i came here to pratice my listening & speaking
yr lesson & advice is good for me
thanks

03:17 AM Mar 12 2008 |

jacky_83

jacky_83

Guatemala

Thanks, I want to practice English by chat, Can you help me please??? 

06:40 PM Feb 18 2008 |

messanger

messanger

Egypt

this is really brilliant point of view just to make it easy for english learners to easily learn it
thank u so much

09:35 AM Jan 29 2008 |

venus model

Ukraine

I like your point of view. and I share it. Thank you! very much!!!!!!!

01:48 PM Jan 12 2008 |

samara19

samara19

Algeria

well , as for as how children learn theirative language , it's as you said , it's not learning it , but acquiring it .A native speaker speaks his language without knowing how it works . He just knows the meaning of the sounds he produces , because he's used to hearing them and using them in meaningful situation from his early chidhood .when the little child start usin his language he makes a great deal of mistakes , but the nearest grown up corrects him , untill he becomes able to use his language correctly.What we can conclude from this all is that we don't aqcuire our language by learning it's vocabulary word by word , but we , subconsciously, learn the rules of our language .From this point of view we can say that learning a second or a foreign language is quite the same , we shoul frist of all learn the rules of that language-ie it's grammar- and it's vocabulary by accustoming ourselves to hear it in it's natural environement , that is by native speakers, and we can get all this from what you mentioned above , listening to music , watching movies and programs in that laguage , and practice our language by chating to native speakers

09:58 AM Nov 14 2007 |

foudel

foudel

Algeria

i'm waiting for your comments

02:46 PM Sep 25 2007 |

Likes (8):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace