Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Björk
Björk

Learn English in this Björk music ESL lesson

Date: Aug 28 2019

Themes: Celebrity, Music, Pop Culture

Grammar: Contractions and Abbreviations

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

There are a lot of people who make music in the world. Whether you like rock or hip-hop, jazz or blues, a lot of it can sound the same. But sometimes, a musician makes music so unique, that the whole world pays attention. Björk is one of those people.

Björk adds a lot of artistry to her music. Some people do not get what she is trying to do, because a lot of it can sound very spacey. But if you listen to her music carefully, you can hear how creative and heartbreaking it can be.

Brian and Kellie are talking about Björk’s new album. Find out what they think in today’s English lesson about an artist from Iceland.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Brian

Brian

Kellie

Kellie

Brian:  Kellie, have you heard the new Björk album?

Kellie:  No. I didn’t even know there was a new album out.

Brian:  Yeah, it’s been a while. I think she’s really unique. She’s not necessarily my favorite musician, but I think she definitely has a bit of artistry in her work.

Kellie:  I know. I think you’re right, but I just don’t get her. I don’t understand the music.

Brian:  I’ve heard a lot of people think that she’s just misunderstood. But I think she’s just kind of a creative person, and with that, maybe a little spacey. But there are a couple songs on the new album that are really heartbreaking and touching.

Kellie:  Well, I’m always interested in people who are artists. But yeah, I’ll definitely check it out. Do you have it?

Brian:  Yes!

Kellie:  OK. Well, let me hear it.

Brian:  OK. (Brian starts singing).

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Contractions and Abbreviations" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Brian recently got Björk’s new album. He thinks that even though Björk isn’t his favorite musician, she is very unique. Brian says that a lot of people don’t understand her music because it is a little spacey. But he likes it. He even tries to sing some of her music, but he isn’t very good.

Kellie doesn’t really understand Björk’s music. She thinks that it is a little bit too weird, but she does like listening to new artists. She asks Brian to give her Björk’s new album.

Do you like Björk? Who is your favorite musician?

Comments

azurer

azurer

Russian Federation

In Discussion field it is said that Brian even tries to sing some of Bjork’s music, but in Dialog field there is no a word about it. How come that?

11:21 AM Aug 28 2019 |

Djana

Djana

Algeria

I don’t know this singer…Well,i really haven’t a particular favorite musician,I like to listen to many different pieces,and singers,and bands like 1D,Demi Lovato,...different kinds of music,it doesn’t matter,without specific choices.

02:56 PM Aug 08 2015 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

Don’t know any of her songs, but still remember her iconic swan dress that she was wearing on Academy Awards. Well, it’s very unusual and eccentric. An artist, what can you say. Hopefully her songs will speak more to me. But I really liked Shia’s wig, maybe because I hooked on her songs first and then whatever she put on herself was just – I like it! I don’t know will it be the same with Bjork. She’s been famous for quite a long time and still no song of her stuck in my head, but just the swan dress after which I don’t feel like listening her songs. To each its own!

02:10 PM Aug 08 2015 |

NavidArash

NavidArash

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

It sounds that most people don’t know Bjork and her works here at English-Baby and It same for me too. This is the first time I heard her name (and that’s why I got no clue how to pronounce her name correctly). This lesson really encouraged me to give it a go, I’ll check it out later. I’m such a kind of guy who like to listen to different and artistic kind of music but still I am not sure whether Bjork is my cup of tea or not. Although It’s great that English-Baby is paying some attention to such a kind of musicians. Personally I am tired that only a handful of celebs are the apple of media’s eye and they keep gossiping and broadcasting about their private life day in day out. 

My favorite singer is Enya (Eithne Ni Bhraonain). Her music is so soulful and nice, not one of those nickel and dime craps. she did wonderful specially in the album of “Paint The Sky With Stars”. I wish to read an article about Enya in English-Baby someday in near future.

02:20 PM Aug 07 2015 |

Shoba

Shoba

Sri Lanka

I hardly have time to listen to music these days. Even if I listen it’s always Indian classical music or Indian movie songs. So I’m afraid I can’t give my two cents on Bjork’s music. 

Oscar winner A.R. Rahman (Indian) is my favorite musician. His music never fails to put me under a spell!

10:58 AM Aug 07 2015 |

s11211s

s11211s

She has different music. I listen to some of her music. She has her own fans, her music isn’t what I like as I listened they are heartbreaking and touching.

My favorite musicians are Yanni, James Last, Richard Clayderman and Vanessa Mae, I don’t like all of their music, I very like some of them.

10:18 AM Aug 07 2015 |

mojtaba

mojtaba

Bjork????

weird name

reshamkhatri

Nepal

yes

05:11 AM Aug 07 2015 |

1 person likes this

laafri3

laafri3

I don’t listen to so much music now. I did when I was younger.  I like peace and quiet now when I go home.

music keeps me company whenever i’m alone, or whenever i wanna be away from the world.

04:57 AM Aug 07 2015 |

S&W

S&W

China

It is my first time to know Bjork and I listened to her music just few minutes ago.I can’t understand what she is try to express in her music video.The images looks colorful and I think it try to tell a story or something else,whatever I didn’t get it.

La Princesse de la vie

Egypt

No, I don’t know her. I’m not actually a fan of a particular musician, I can just like the words here in this song or the beating of music there in that one or I like that signer’s voice like Celine Dion. I’m not necessiraly a devoted fan, I’m more of a picky person, so I’m not fanatic about a special artist that I keep updated with every little work they do.

12:39 AM Aug 07 2015 |

Likes (11):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast