Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Lose One's Touch
Lose One's Touch English, baby! Video Lesson

Learn English meaning of ‘lose one’s touch’

Date: Aug 01 2017

Themes: Hobbies, Soap Opera, Time

Grammar: Imperative Form

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Most everyone has seen the original Star Wars movie, directed by George Lucas. It is seriously one of the greatest movies of all time. A beautiful space princess is held hostage by an evil robot in a black cape. A young sorcerer and a handsome scoundrel rescue her, and then they head back to the massive space station. They destroy it in an epic battle. It’s a wonderful story that will grab your attention from the first scene. George Lucas became a highly respected and talented director.

But then, 22 years later, he directed Star Wars Episodes I, II, and III. These three movies are terrible. You will fall asleep while watching them. George Lucas was losing his touch. When one begins to lose one’s touch, this means that you no longer have the ability to do something. George Lucas has lost his ability to direct. It is not easy to let go of the idea that George Lucas is a great director. But he almost ruined Star Wars!

Andy is worried that he is also losing his touch. Watch as Andy practices his detective skills in this English lesson.

3. Watch - Watch the video without reading the dialog.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Andy_H

Andy_H

Dominique

Dominique

Kelsey

Kelsey

Andy_H:  Kelsey?! Ah!

Dominique:  Ah!

Andy_H:  She’s not on this floor.

Dominique:  I just talked to Jordin.

Andy_H:  Uh-huh?

Dominique:  She said that she went through the wrong door. So, once we find her, we’ll head back downstairs and get her to her show!

Andy_H:  I’m losing my touch.

Dominique:  What do you mean?

Andy_H:  I used to think I’d make a good detective, but I have no idea where she is!

Dominique:  Well, she’s somewhere in here. Nope.

Andy_H:  Well, there’s only one floor left.

Dominique:  OK.

Andy_H:  Wait.

Dominique:  What’s up?

Andy_H:  Kelsey!

Dominique:  You haven’t lost your touch, yet, Andy. Nice work!

Andy_H:  That’s right, Detective Andy is… wait. Detective Andy… is back.

Dominique:  Seriously, Andy? Kelsey.

Kelsey:  What?

Dominique:  Kelsey!

Kelsey:  Is the show over? Did I miss it?

Dominique:  No, Andy and I just found you. You must have just fallen asleep. We need to get you back downstairs and get you to your show!

Andy_H:  Detective skills are complicated. You see, sometimes, one has to let go of the mind in order to find the pursuit of justice….

Dominique:  Andy! Stop talking, and grab her guitar. Let’s go.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Imperative Form" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Andy and Dominique are looking for Kelsey. They bump into each other on the stairs. Dominique tells Andy that as soon as they find Kelsey they will head back downstairs. They need to get Kelsey to her show! Andy always thought he would be a good detective. But since he has no idea where Kelsey is, he’s afraid he’s losing his touch.

Andy and Dominique are about to go up the stairs to search another floor, but Andy finds Kelsey asleep on the floor. Dominique tells him that he hasn’t lost his touch. Dominique wakes Kelsey up and assures her that she hasn’t missed her show. She tells Andy to grab Kelsey’s guitar, and they leave to get Kelsey to her show.

Have you ever lost your touch at something? What are some things that you are really good at?

Comments

Eva92

Eva92

Indonesia

Nice

01:13 PM Sep 14 2017 |

allenzhaojl

China

I am losing touch on my basket ball skills, I was the best player in the whole school.

01:04 PM Sep 14 2017 |

allenzhaojl

China

Very interesting

01:02 PM Sep 14 2017 |

RaulSPA

RaulSPA

United States

Yes starwars movies definetily lost their touch have you seen the new one where you have a woman as a protagonist? I wouldnt watch it even if they paid me haha! they suck because they get too liberal

05:18 PM Aug 06 2017 |

Kotosec

Kotosec

Russian Federation

Last week my friend asked me to play guitar for her. I did’t practice for ages..So, to save face I started with elementary tune and realised that I’ve really lost my touch:(

07:19 PM Aug 04 2017 |

ola3

ola3Super Member!

Ukraine

I used to play accordion and since not having played it for a while, I lost my touch. What can’t be said about swimmig. it’s still with me, my swimming skills. Looks like the brainy skills are prone to die faster than physical one. Or it’s to each its own. 

03:02 PM Aug 03 2017 |

eduardosoutoSuper Member!

Brazil

Well, I play badminton with my students every January, July and December that are the months when we are on vacation from school, and I can say that in the beginning of every season we lose the touch a little.

I am really good at learning languages, practicing sports and talking to people!

09:50 AM Aug 01 2017 |

hilalyksl

hilalyksl

Turkey

Actually, i don’t remmember so many things what i lost. But i can say that if i cut off to use one kind of my abilities, i lose my touch about it. For example, When i was an Erasmus student, i frequently cook foods, desserts to intoduce how turkish food are . That’s why, my friends were calling me “chef” and they were crazy about whatever i cook for them. But when i came to Turkey, i gave up cooking. And i sometimes astonish that how i was a good coker once time..

06:45 AM Aug 01 2017 |

hermitlady

China

Yes. Many things I have ever lost my touch at.  But the recent thing was about my boss who ever was my middle school teacher.

Last year, my workmate told me that our boss took a prostitute as his lover who actually liked his money. His wife who was our friend and his daughter didn’t know . unexpectedly, the prostitute was pregnant, and they wanted to birth this baby.

Besides, the boss was no in the mood for caring company because such thing. The business of company was less and less.

We all know that his wife has given him very much help and support at his company. We all are angry and think of many ways to change his situation.

I had made some systems to limit his money and his work time.  at the beginning, it is better but he didn’t persevere in it for long.  After several days, he went back to the original.  Every time was like such.

Now I have lost my touch . my workmate has lost his touch yet. 

01:43 AM Aug 01 2017 |

1 person likes this

Likes (7):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog: