Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

What is the best way to learn English?

Date: Nov 11 2007

Topic:

Author: hill xu

Lesson

I. Before You Read

Survey several of your classmates asking the following question: If a student were to ask you "What is the best way to learn English?" what would your answer be? Be ready to report your findings.

II. Reading

What is the best way to learn English?

Students in China often ask, "What is the best way to learn English?" This is an important question, but there is no single answer because "English" is not just one thing - it is a combination of different things.

In part, "English" consists of knowledge. For example, learning English requires knowing vocabulary words and grammar rules. Even more important, "English" also consists of a variety of different skills, such as the ability to speak in English or to understand a book written in English. So, there is no single best way to learn English. Instead, there are different ways to develop each of the English skills students need.

While there is no single best way to learn English, there are two basic rules that will help students decide what the best way is to develop each of the English language skills:

Rule #1: Skills are built through practice.

Mastering a skill requires learning to do several different things smoothly and fluently, often within a limited time. For example, in order to read in English, you need to do several different things at once:

recognize English vocabulary words
understand English grammar
use background knowledge; for example, things you know about Western culture
understand and remember the ideas of the text.

Learning to read certainly requires knowledge of English grammar, vocabulary, and even knowledge of Western culture. But the skill of reading requires being able to put all of this together at the same time, and this can only be learned through practice.

Rule #2: You learn to do what you do.

In other words, students who spend a lot of time reading newspaper articles will get better at reading newspaper articles. Students who practice speaking English will get better at speaking English. (And students who practice answering multiple choice questions on tests will get better at answering multiple choice test questions.) So the best way to develop a skill is to practice in a way that is as similar as possible to the skill you want to develop.

Word and phrase list

a combination of things: a mix of things, many different things all together
(something) requires (something): (something) is necessary for (something). Ex: Learning a language requires a lot of study and practice.
to consist of: to be made up of. Ex: A computer consists of many different parts.
to master: to learn well. Ex: It takes a lot of work to master a foreign language.
fluently: quickly, without stopping frequently
multiple choice test questions: test questions where you choose from several possible answers, usually marked A, B, C, and D

III. Comprehension Questions

According to the passage, why is there no single best way to learn English?

The passage gives two rules for how to study English - what are they?

What other rules for studying English can you think of?

IV. Discussion Activities

Pair/Small Group Task: "Reading aloud in the morning"
Most study methods are good for some things and not for others. Learners need to be able to analyze a study method to know what kinds of knowledge and skills the study method helps them gain - and what it does not help them gain.

In pairs or groups, analyze the following study methods. For each: 1) List the kinds of English knowledge and skills you think this study method would help students gain. 2) List kinds of English knowledge and skills you think this study method would probably not help students gain (but that students might think they were gaining).

Study method #1: Reading textbook passages aloud (zao du).
Study method #2: Memorizing reading passages from a textbook.
Study method #3: "Crazy English." (Foreign teachers may need to ask students to explain this learning method that has recently become popular in China.)

Survey: ??????“What are you good at?"
All students are different, and a study method that works well for one student may not work so well for another one.

Think for a minute about what you are good at in language learning, and what is hard for you. Then survey several classmates, asking two questions: 1) What is easiest for you in learning English? 2) What is hardest for you? Write down the answers you hear.

Pair/Small Group Task: "How do Chinese students study English?"
In pairs or groups: 1) List several of the most common methods Chinese students use in order to study English. 2) Prepare to describe to your foreign teacher exactly how students study using one or more of the methods you listed. Be as specific as possible, including when, where, and how the students study. 3) Describe each method as a process. Ex: "First the students ______. Then they _____." 4) Analyze what you think is good and what you think is not good about these methods, and how they could be improved.

Other Discussion Questions

(Foreign teacher question to students) What do Chinese students usually believe are the best methods for learning English?

V. English Hotline

If I want to learn a language skill, should I just practice that skill? For example, if I want to learn to read, should I just practice reading?
Practice is certainly a very important part of developing any language skill, but other kinds of study are also sometimes necessary. For example, in order to read well it is important to have a large vocabulary, so if you want to build your reading skills you should also study vocabulary regularly.

However, just having a large vocabulary isn't enough to make you a good reader. You also need to practice reading as much as possible. You will find that if you combine vocabulary study with reading practice, the reading practice helps you review and learn the vocabulary you study. Likewise, knowing more vocabulary will make it easier for you to read.

VI. Teaching Ideas

The Study Method Doctor: To learn any skill, students need to practice in a way that is as much as possible like the skill they want to learn. This means students need to first analyze and understand the skill they want to learn. One way to help develop this analysis skill - and to encourage students to think more about study methods - is the "Study Method Doctor" activity.

Procedure:

1) Have students imagine they are having a conversation with a foreigner at an English corner. Then, in pairs or groups, have students list the steps involved in saying something to the foreigner in English, and be ready to report.
2) Have students report the steps while the teacher lists them on the board.
3) Then have students list three different methods for practicing their oral English, and be ready to report which of the speaking steps on the board the method practices - and which (if any ) it does not help students practice.

The Study Method Scientist: One good way for students to learn more about how to learn a foreign language well is to experiment with new study methods to see how they work.

Procedure:

1) Have students choose a specific area in which they want to improve their English. (Example: increase my reading vocabulary, improve my pronunciation, etc.)
2) For that area, have students choose a new study method that they haven't tried before. To find a new method, have students:
a. get an idea from another student;
b. get an idea from a book or from the teacher;
c. think of an idea on their own.
3) Have them try out the new method for a week or so. (Most study methods need to be used for a longer period of time before the results are clear, but using a method for even a week or so should allow students to get some idea of how well it works for them.)
4) At the end of the experiment, they should be ready to report how well the method worked for them, including:
a. how much it helped them achieve their goal;
b. what worked well in the method;

Comments

saman0911

saman0911

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

hi – all nice friend ar world

i happy to have u

but like life same

when u feel comfortabel u can send me  massages i send u invate letters

u can com  to me in iran ans stay for days at my home like see  all happy to meet all friends

kve

10:18 PM May 06 2013 |

DAMAVAND

DAMAVAND

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

Well, in the first place, it’s very important for me to use structures in appropriate and correct way. To achieve it, Google, dictionaries as well as a native person can be useful. Grammatical tips are limit but words and expressions are much more, for a good writing you should practice both of them at the same time.

For the reading, the situation is better, because I’m a fast reader in both English and my native language, suggest you to take speed reading’s techniques and practice them a lot, first in your mother language and then in English, definitely it works and your reading skill gets better very soon.

And finally, listening and speaking, I never take them apart, because I believe if you can understand an English speech well, it guarantees that you can speak fluently as well, the most important point is to listen carefully to realize the correct pronunciations, don’t worry if you can’t understand whole the conversation for the first time, that’s enough to know what the main subject is, by practicing more and more your ears get used to English accent and words, movies are good if you like them, you can watch the film with subtitle for the first time and then repeat it again  without subtitle.

Another thing I should add, “Speaking slowly with correct pronunciations and grammars is much better than fast and broken English”, I think that’s all, my own experiences, hope to be helpful for you.

A mini summary is written back of one of my English book:

“The student must be trained adequately in all four basic language skills: understanding, speaking, reading and writing…The following order of presentation must be taken as axiomatic;

Nothing should be spoken before it has been heard.

Nothing should be read before it has been spoken.

Nothing should be written before it has been read.”

09:53 PM May 06 2013 |

paroofczak

paroofczak

Poland

As for me LingLing Learn English Android application is the best way to learn English. It is very intuitive, easy and super effective :)

11:27 AM May 04 2013 |

Son of English

Hong Kong

Write a diary in the language you’re learning. Don’t just write ‘Today, I went to work. I ate lunch. I came back home and watched TV. I fell asleep on the floor.’ Try and write more details. Actually, try writing your diary in your own language first and then translating it.

Watch movies with subtitles first…then without subtitles when you feel more confident. If you’re feeling really confident, try watching it without sound and blindfolded! [Okay, don’t do this one]

Always think of different ways to say something. E.g. I don’t like dog fighting. I’m not into dog fighting. I’m not fond of dog fighting. I’m not a big fan of dog fighting etc. This will make you sound more like an interesting human being and not a robot who only knows one phrase for everything.

Learn how a word is used in different situations. E.g. ‘Fix’. I need to fix the TV. I need to fix my relationship with George Clooney. The problem with the aliens needs to be fixed. Etc.

Make the language part of your life/routine somehow. If you don’t, you’ll never improve.

Practise speaking with someone else who is studying the same language. This should make you less nervous about making mistakes.

Don’t hide behind trees and spy on native speakers! They’ll think you’re weird.

Don’t listen to podcasts while you sleep, it doesn’t work. Listen to them while you’re awake!

There are probably more…that’s all I can think of right now.

02:35 PM Oct 19 2012 |

-Benny-

-Benny-

Thailand

ive learnt by watching movies with english sound without subtitle. like i watch movies with my native language. that’s how I learn english by myself.

08:40 AM Oct 19 2012 |

lotussy

lotussy

China

I like it so much.

Maybe I can put a good way for you all:www.jakarl.com.

03:12 PM Oct 17 2012 |

america speaking

United States

We are operating from USA, a bunch of teachers who can make you learn how to speak english like an American. For more details join our facebook page: America Speaking

LINK:https://www.facebook.com/aa.training?fref=ts 

07:00 AM Oct 17 2012 |

gigi2550

gigi2550

Thailand

keep practicing and do not feel shy or ashamed of practices especially when you make some mistakes. Correct them later to memorize that.

11:15 PM Oct 09 2011 |

gigi2550

gigi2550

Thailand

There are  many ways to learn English as you may find from different sources of advices. All say that their method is the best. In my opinion, learning any languages including English requires various methods that suit a learner. A method that is effective for a learner may not work well for another. Besides, regular and continuous practices are a must. You can’t expect to best a language without pratices.

11:10 PM Oct 09 2011 |

o alquimista

Kazakhstan

I agree with Yuji W

05:52 AM Oct 08 2011 |

Yuji W

United States

I think one of the best ways to learn any language is by practicing with native-speakers and teachers as much as possible. One way to do this is by going to www.Study.com. There are real teachers teaching online in real-time for free here, I think many of you may find it useful.

10:33 PM Oct 07 2011 |

hmatusse

Mozambique

how someone learning english quiklly?

11:56 PM Jan 13 2011 |

nurlan_91

nurlan_91

Azerbaijan

it is good site.There sre many importand words

08:50 PM Aug 03 2009 |

infiniti123

India

Gr8 tips.I recommend you to check www.vocabularybuilding.org. Its a great site, contains lots of words, learning videos and tips as well .An effective way to improve your vocabulary quickly.

07:02 PM Jun 15 2009 |

sunxuekun

sunxuekun

China

This article isn't creative point.

07:34 AM Sep 26 2008 |

Likes (2):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace