Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

homosexuality worse than terrorism?

gkisseberth

Germany

Oklahoma Rep. Sally Kern on YouTube Clip: Homosexuality Bigger Threat Than Terrorism

Sunday, March 16, 2008

OKLAHOMA CITY  —  A YouTube audio clip of a state lawmaker's screed against homosexuality, which she called a bigger threat than terrorism, has outraged gay activists and brought death threats rolling in.

"The homosexual agenda is destroying this nation, OK, it's just a fact," Rep. Sally Kern said recently to a gathering of fellow Republicans outside the Capitol.

"Studies show no society that has totally embraced homosexuality has lasted, you know, more than a few decades. So it's the death knell in this country.

"I honestly think it's the biggest threat that our nation has, even more so than terrorism or Islam, which I think is a big threat," she said.

07:19 PM Mar 16 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

brownstone

brownstone

Saudi Arabia

Surprisedim just wanderin why ppl insist on callin islam terrorism??????????????????????????????????????terrorism …is sth more related to politics than that to religion.

and about homosexuality.. sorry no comment:)

09:02 AM Mar 17 2008 |

brownstone

brownstone

Saudi Arabia

thanx monatta:)

u hit the nail on the head:)

09:10 AM Mar 17 2008 |

Ryujin

Ryujin

Germany

To be honest I myself don't take such persons like Kern seriously. Of course you could say "christianity is what the bible says", but in fact christianity is just a belief in a certain god. Everything else is interpreted (and written) by human beings – just as the bible is. So every person has to find out for him or herself what "christianity" is really like.

I don't accept persons that define christianity as a belief that is against basic rights, human rights or that breaches the ethic – not because I say their interpretation was wrong or "unchristian". It's just that their belief of christianity is against being human! Humans are heterosexual are homosexual, are black are white, are male are female… etc. If there is any belief that doesn't accept that, then it's a belief that doesn't accept human beings. That's harmful.

Besides I myself are gay and would especially for that reason never accept such statements like Kern expresses. Besides I am german and I know by the history of my country that denouncing some human attributes like homosexuality or – in that case – being jewish is just a weak way to hide political inability or legitimise cruel deeds with searching a scapegoat.

11:50 AM Mar 17 2008 |

Ryujin

Ryujin

Germany

The problem is, that the U.S.-americans are still influenced by puritanism which derived a long time ago from GB to North America. And the puritans had a certrain style of christianity or a certain image of what it should be like. So some of the fundamentalists of christianity in the U.S.A. don't really think about a christian philosophy and religion but just accept what a doctrin or dogma is telling them.

02:20 PM Mar 17 2008 |

monatta

monatta

Saudi Arabia

mark china ,

I like this phrase ( but it's a viewpoint worth considering ) . really democracy phrase .

please . use it more   . it is good to respect all viewpoint and say that it is worth considering .

07:41 PM Mar 17 2008 |

devindernagpal

India

Dear friends,

Homsexulity is definietly not natural & it's found only in in humans,not in any other species…upto my knowldge I have read zoology a little bit & I never came across such idea other than human… it's purely pervession due religious abandons. All logics are mind made just to reply.. & there is an study which says that homosexuality is the mother of aids…. & it's found in all cultures may be open to public or not ...scintifically  In some cases it's a   it's a matter of harmones while in many it's a perverssion.. &  answers to this question  should be searched  in life & science not in religious scriptures.. which says' sun is revolving around earth'.

Dear Kana… it is the same religious sutructure who makes one hindu,mouslim or christian.. our society cuts our wings just after our birth & give us a cage & we are taught that we are born with this safety system.. & it's repeated in our ear after every second …every where so that we may not doubt it.

That's why we have such a terrible situation upon the whole of earth..where everybody has his religion but rarely found relgiousness… I am sorry I don't agree to your point that any one who wants to be good has become christian…

humanity existed before Christ also &  before Mohmmed also…

08:14 PM Mar 17 2008 |

M. Augustus

United States

Ok then, since words have absolutely no meaning, I'm a Muslim.

What?  No, I don't believe that Mohammed was a prophet.  No, I do not read the Koran as anything but literature.  No, I don't believe in the supremacy (or even the existence of) Allah.  But I do like cake!  And that's how I define 'Muslim' to mean.  Show me I'm wrong. 

08:15 PM Mar 17 2008 |

M. Augustus

United States

devindernagpal,  check out some of the articles referenced by Wikipedia on the subject – homosexual behavior occurs throughout the animal kingdom, in fact, and is well documented:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexuality_in_animals 

08:17 PM Mar 17 2008 |

Ryujin

Ryujin

Germany

To be honest devindernagpal, what you write is not correct. There are many animals that have homosexual or bisexual beings like the Bonobo-apes – you should do some more research. Besides being homosexual IS natural… 

Just to give you a little information: human beings are nature just as animals are. If you say that everything animals do is natural (and you have to say that) then you have to admit that everything human beings do is natural, too. 

Also the statement that homosexuality was "the mother of AIDS" is not only a frivolous term but also wrong. There are reasons for this disease occuring so much and it's definately not only the mere fact, that a person is gay. So this statement is just a try to doom homosexuality.

04:30 PM Mar 18 2008 |

_Natalia_

_Natalia_

Poland

terrorism is worst :P

06:48 PM Mar 18 2008 |