Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Major reshuffle in Saudi Arabia

gkisseberth

Germany

any thoughts from our friends in the kingdom?  was this a surprise?

Major reshuffle in Saudi Arabia

<!- S BO -> <!- S IIMA -> E IIMA -> <!- S SF ->

King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia has sacked two powerful religious officials in a wide ranging shake-up of the cabinet and other government posts.

One of the dismissed men was the head of the controversial religious police force. The other was the country's most senior judge.

The king also appointed the country's first-ever female minister and replaced the head of the central bank.

Correspondents say such government reshuffles are rare in Saudi Arabia. <!- E SF ->

King Abdullah, who came to power in 2005, has for a long time had the reputation of a reformer – and the latest appointments have the makings of one of the biggest shake-ups in Saudi public life for many years.

The BBC's Arab affairs analyst Bob Trevelyan says the pace of change has been slow in the four years of the king's reign.

Despite the shake-up, our correspondent says the kingdom remains an absolute monarchy and real political change is not on the agenda.

Feared organisation

The sacked head judge, Sheikh Salih Ibn al-Luhaydan, caused controversy last September when he said it was permissible to kill the owners of satellite TV channels which broadcast immoral programmes.

Sheikh Salih Ibn al-Luhaydan said some "evil" entertainment programmes aired by the channels promoted debauchery.

Our correspondent says the sheikh may well be paying the price for airing his opinions.

The shake-up also affected the feared religious police organisation, known as the Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice.

Sheikh Ibrahim al-Ghaith has lost his job as head of the commssion, which enforces Saudi Arabia's conservative brand of Islam, Wahhabism.

The commission has wide powers to search for alcohol and drugs, to crack down on prostitution and ensure shops are closed during prayer times.

But our correspondent says the religious police have been widely criticised recently over allegations of brutality – the kind of comments that could never have been made publicly a few years ago.

Meanwhile, Norah al-Faiz now holds the most senior official position a woman has held in Saudi Arabia. She has been appointed to the newly-created post of deputy education minister for women's affairs. <!- E BO ->

02:35 PM Feb 14 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

gkisseberth

Germany

But we can discuss it., can't we?

I certainly hope so, but i've been told many times here that i shouldn't talk about a country unless I live there, and this seems to be a very similar reaction. 

I think that perhaps the economics and politics of a place like the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia actually effect people around the world more than locals. 

06:19 PM Feb 16 2009 |

Miss_gorgeous

United Arab Emirates

i am with MATRIX IN THIS POINT ..

GOD WITH US AND WITH OUR KING, GOD PROTECT HIM..

BYE

07:56 PM Feb 16 2009 |

gkisseberth

Germany

but not like as you posted here!

I found this link if you really interest in Major reshuffle in Saudi Arabia !!

http://www.menafn.com/qn_news_story_s.asp?StoryId=1093233442

thanks for the link. It had more about the other changes. the articles i posted focused on the major ones. 

the king made many changes but I see you here happy and interest with only the sheikhs !!!!!!!!!

WHY?

I didn't comment on the articles. why do you think I was happy? And I didn't say anything about sheiks. 

Do you think our Islamic life will change if the sheikhs change !!!!!!!

Sure, they might. If the King replaces religious officials and the head of the religious police it could certainly change some things.

09:21 PM Feb 16 2009 |

gkisseberth

Germany

yes, things are looking better for women in the Kingdom, Hakimi… maybe Princess Amira will have some influence, too…

Saudi princess says she's ready to drive

Feb 9, 2009

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia (AP) — The wife of one of Saudi Arabia's most high profile and richest men said she's ready to get behind the wheel if women are ever permitted to drive, highlighting again a contentious issue authorities in this conservative desert kingdom prefer to play down.

Princess Amira al-Taweel, who is one global tycoon Prince Alwaleed bin Talal's wives, told the Saudi daily Al-Watan that she already drives when she travels abroad.

"Certainly I'm ready to drive a car," said al-Taweel, whose husband is a nephew of Saudi King Abdallah and is ranked as the world's 13th-richest person by Forbes magazine. "I have an international driver's license, and I drive a car in all the countries I travel to."

Her answer came after the interviewer noted that her husband had said in a previous interview he would be the first to let his wife and daughter drive if the ban was lifted.

Women in Saudi Arabia are not permitted to drive. Saudi officials usually sidestep the question by saying the issue is a social and not religious one, but over the years a handful of princesses have spoken out in support of driving, including Princess Lolwah Al-Faisal, daughter of the late King Faisal, at the World Economic Forum two years ago.

"I prefer driving a car with my sister or friend next to me instead of being with a driver who is not (related to me)," al-Taweel said in her interview, referring to the drivers women are forced to employ.

The attention the issue receives from Saudi newspapers, which are government-guided, is intermittent. Readers and columnists have over the years debated the pros and cons of women's driving with no progress being made on the ground.

This kingdom is the only country in the world to ban women — Saudi and foreign — from driving. The prohibition forces families to hire live-in drivers, and those who cannot afford the $300-$400 a month for a driver must rely on male relatives to drive them to work, school, shopping or the doctor.

But change will be difficult in this ultraconservative society, where many believe that women at the wheel create situations for sinful temptation. They argue that women drivers will be free to leave home alone, will unduly expose their eyes while driving and will interact with male strangers, such as traffic police and mechanics.

In this Tuesday, Sept. 4, 2007 file photo, Saudi Princess Amira al-Taweel, the wife of Saudi Prince Alwaleed bin Talal, looks on during a ceremony at the Louvre museum in Paris, France. Amira, the wife of one of Saudi Arabia's most high profile and richest men, said she's ready to get behind the wheel if women are ever permitted to drive in the country, highlighting again a contentious issue authorities in this conservative desert kingdom prefer to play down. (AP Photo/Francois Mori, File)

10:24 PM Feb 16 2009 |

amany7

amany7

Saudi Arabia

I agree Hakimi that was a very cool successful step :) .. hope for more …....

Amira, the wife of one of Saudi Arabia's most high profile and richest men, said she's ready to get behind the wheel if women are ever permitted to drive

mee too Innocent...

01:57 AM Feb 17 2009 |

amany7

amany7

Saudi Arabia

Sorry, I think the main topic is not linked with the WOMAN DRIVING in Saudi Arabia.

wasn't like that Matrix .. :) .. actully it was about the reshuffle as u see … but it was related to other progress ….

This issue has been finalized and ordered and there is no longer calling for the woman driving which leads  to immorality as a negative result or as some claim "The right of women to drive."

yup but there is always a call for that I don't think the issue finalized …

How funny if there are some girls fix some of cars malfunctions or sent into the prison in the event of perpetration traffic violations.

lol I can understand u coz it is werid here,when it happend (in the short run) "let me hop" you will see more of this :)..

as you said matrix  they will be replaced sooner or later but Islamic life will never change..

even If women drive our Islamic life wont be changed It is just a weird thing for now,

you know any new invention or decision faces such refusal at the begining ….I don't say there wont be any negative effect if women drive but there must be ….

03:19 PM Feb 17 2009 |

gkisseberth

Germany

Sorry, I think the main topic is not linked with the WOMAN DRIVING in Saudi Arabia.

sure it is. The first article mentioned that one of the changes in the government was the appointment of a woman as deputy minister of education. Another poster commented that maybe this was the biggest change and a sign of progress. Another sign of progress would giving women the right to drive themselves, like every other country in the world. I think the King's changes indicate that perhaps even this is going to change in the near future. 

This issue has been finalized and ordered and there is no longer calling for the woman driving which leads  to immorality as a negative result or as some claim "The right of women to drive."

Your female countrymen here in ebaby would seem to disagree.  :)

03:44 PM Feb 17 2009 |

gkisseberth

Germany

Yuna, I didn't hilight anything. If I had it would have been because I think it was important, not neccessarily because it made me happy. 

I think many religious people are so for similar reasons as you. Fear. 

04:10 PM Feb 17 2009 |

javamanju

javamanju

India

It is a great step.

But as far as I know, Woemen in saudi cannot work with a man.(not sure of this though) .

so how can she work?

or is this step only for the camera?

04:16 PM Feb 17 2009 |

lady of virtues

Saudi Arabia

first

when i said the the king is a father i talked to those who replay that they hate king AbduAllah …

second for u fabs1…i wonder why u always there to fight even if we do not talk about  israel..

04:49 PM Feb 17 2009 |