Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Armenian Genocide

SantiagoC

SantiagoC

Uruguay

Today we remember the 94th aniversary of the Armenian Genocide. What do you think about it?

11:57 PM Apr 24 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

elenochka

elenochka

Belarus

our country admit this genocide.

2 fabs: what crimes exactly Russia doesn't  own up? was there any genocide episodes there?? fabs, i think u r mistaken..

10:17 AM Apr 26 2009 |

fabs1

fabs1

United Kingdom

Mass deportations of minorities to Siberia under Stalin, the great suppression of the Hungarians in the 50s, the domination of Eastern European countries through intimadation and rigged elections… the list is very long.

More people died under Stalin than under Hitler's regime, we're talking about around 20 million people.

Of which 7 million died in the Ukraine in Stalin's forced famine, labeled by some people as genocide.

http://www.historyplace.com/worldhistory/genocide/stalin.htm

Yes it is true that the Red Army liberated those countries from the Nazis, but the Soviets then took them over and installed their own governments.

Things like this can't just be ignored by present day Russia, as 'well that was the Soviets, we're no longer Soviets'.

The Germans definitely did not have that attitude and faced up to their past.

I'll change what I said, they own up to most of them, but won't pay a penny of reparations.

After Germany started WW2, they paid massive reparations to all sorts of countries that they wronged. When it comes to Russia, that's not necessarily true.

All over Moscow, there are still Soviet-Era monuments honouring Lenin.

03:11 PM Apr 26 2009 |

CaN I CrY

CaN I CrY

Turkey

I sometimes hate from haveing a lot national..

I am kurdish, armenian, turkish, zaza…. . . .  a lot!

and i really wonder why ppl always get me wronge, when i say my opinions about nations i have..

I really believe that i can bo soo objective when critise..

Becoz i alreay critise myself too, when i critise turkishes, or armenians… ..

1ly yes, turkish ppl killed a lot Armenians..and most of them were innnocent.. without a crime..

For example: My grandma's families were fired by turkishes in their home.. they couldn't open their doors so died :((

Allah bless all them insallah..

My grandma  always miss them,,,,

she knows kurdishes, armenian, hebrew, persian, russian, turkish, n a lit arabic languages..

But she never talks in Turkish… in my ALL life, i have never heard a turkish word from my grandma's mouth..

Yess… you are right.. I agree with ur blog.. and thanks a lot ..

But to me,, Turkish ppl never tried to make an ''GENOCIDE'' when killed,, or were killed..

I am not sure about tell that ''GENOCIDE''

it is mostly not a genocide for me..

Becoz it was not a sistematic killing…. It was War and ppl wonder how they wwould save themself..

Yes..TUrkishes killed a lot Armenians.. But i think it is not a GEnocide..

I dont insist on anything.. i need more time to interest that problems between turkish-armenian..

Inshallah ''It is not a Genocide''

Have a nice night.. Thanks for the posting..

05:43 PM Apr 26 2009 |

elenochka

elenochka

Belarus

fabs, i think u r not very good in the history of Soviet Union. Don't be offend, but i know it better. I was born in Soviet Union and i was learning its history since i was a child. U r right, a lot of people died because of Stalin's repressions, BUT it wasn't a genocide. Genocide- is a purposeful killing of particular nation, and let me remind u that  those repressions covered almost all the soviet people- ukranian, russian, kazakh and etc. So don't confuse it with genocide.

Maybe in Turkey happend something analogous- it was killing, but not a genocide in its full measure. But we r not historians and it is difficult to assirt.

06:42 PM Apr 26 2009 |

konstka

konstka

Russian Federation

Mass deportations of minorities to Siberia under Stalin

Who was deported? Can you enumerate this minorities? 

the domination of Eastern European countries through intimadation and rigged elections

Who said that elections were rigged?

More people died under Stalin than under Hitler's regime, we're talking about around 20 million people.

Of which 7 million died in the Ukraine in Stalin's forced famine, labeled by some people as genocide.

It looks like genocide of Ukrainian people by Georgian. And now Yushchenko and Saakashvili are the best friends. :/

As far as I know during the famine in 1932-1933 died totally 7-8 million people all over the territory of the USSR. Mainly in regions: Krasnodar, Stavropol, Saratov, Samara, Voronezh, Kursk, Volgograd, Orenburg (Russia); Kharkov, Dnepropetrovsk, Kiev (Ukraine) and Eastern Kazakhstan.

Yes it is true that the Red Army liberated those countries from the Nazis

It's very difficult to deny this fact.

but the Soviets then took them over and installed their own governments.

As well as Russian's “allies”.

Things like this can't just be ignored by present day Russia, as 'well that was the Soviets, we're no longer Soviets'.

What about another 14 republics of the former USSR? May they ignore this terrible things?

I'll change what I said, they own up to most of them, but won't pay a penny of reparations. After Germany started WW2, they paid massive reparations to all sorts of countries that they wronged. When it comes to Russia, that's not necessarily true.

Excuse me, give me a Treaty the USSR or Russia have to pay reparations  according to. 

All over Moscow, there are still Soviet-Era monuments honouring Lenin.

I can tell you more. In St. Petersburg, there are still monuments honouring Peter I!!!

07:29 PM Apr 26 2009 |

fabs1

fabs1

United Kingdom

Sure.

Volga Germans and seven nationalities of Crimea and the northern Caucasus were deported: the Crimean Tatars, Kalmyks, Chechens, Ingush, Balkars, Karachai, and Meskhetians. Other minorities evicted from the Black Sea coastal region included Bulgarians, Greeks, and Armenians. 

http://www.faqs.org/minorities/USSR/Deported-Nationalities.html

The crimes of the NKVD who carried out most of these operations is well documented. Just ask the countries of Eastern Europe (not the Russian minorities living in some places) how much they enjoyed Russian rule.

"Who said that elections were rigged?"

In Czechoslovakia, Poland, Hungary.. etc they were clearly rigged.

When you have soldiers standing next to polling boxes checking the ballots,

Non-Communist parties banned, opponents shipped off to Siberia, I doubt they can be considered free elections. 

This is the face of the elections in Soviet Occupied Eastern Europe throughout the 1940s and 1950s.

"What about another 14 republics of the former USSR? May they ignore this terrible things?"

No they may not, but several of these never wanted to be apart of the USSR in the first place.

It needn't be forgotten that Russia invaded and annexed the Baltic countries TWICE

Before the war and after the war.

The Ukrainians are divided into 2 camps, the Russian minorities, and the ethnic Ukrainians, who have their own view on Russia.

"Excuse me, give me a Treaty the USSR or Russia have to pay reparations  according to. "

That's the whole point. They don't.

Russia admits to being behind the murder of millions of people under Lenin, Stalin and the rest, yet gets off scot free.

"I can tell you more. In St. Petersburg, there are still monuments honouring Peter I!!!"

You're going to compare Peter I to Lenin?

08:21 PM Apr 26 2009 |

~MemoTheHun~

Germany

:S:S:S no time to waste for such ppl… :D if there is a genocide then come with your proves. Dont bark…

08:23 PM Apr 26 2009 |

fabs1

fabs1

United Kingdom

Whether Russia comitted genocide is very debatable and questionnable,yet mass killings were committed all over the territories under Soviet control and that is my point.

Do Russian kids at school even have to learn about these things?

08:23 PM Apr 26 2009 |

fabs1

fabs1

United Kingdom

"As well as Russian's “allies”."

The Americans were present in Western Europe and organized free elections which in several countries, such as Belgium, France and Italy, elected coalition governments with communist parties present in them.

So no, what the Soviets did and what the Americans did in their respective areas of influence was different.

08:30 PM Apr 26 2009 |

fabs1

fabs1

United Kingdom

Well for anyone reading, this is the wikipedia page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armenian_genocide

Personally I admit to knowing very little about what happened, it was almost 100 years ago. But the information on this page is convincing that it was no small event.

08:39 PM Apr 26 2009 |