Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Would you like to write down some books you like here?

Gucci Yeung

China

Yea I’m a bookworm, I love reading. These are some books I like: The Unbearable Lightness of Being (Milan Kundera), My Name is Red (Orhan Pamuk), One Hundred Years of Solitude (Garcia Marquez), Le Città invisibili (Italo Calvino), and so on.
And I’m reading James Joyce’s A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, it’s good.
Would you like to share your favourite books with me?

12:06 PM Mar 31 2010 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Gucci Yeung

China

I’ve read Tagore’s Stray Birds, there are full of graceful sentences, beautiful words and great wisdom. Some short poems really impressed me, like “Let life be beautiful like summer flowers and death like autumn leaves.” and “I thank thee that I am none of the wheels of power but I am one with the creatures that are crushed by it.”
And I’ve read Kipling’s If. Do you guys like poems and who is your favourite poet?
Come on Tsaokuohua, you can if you want ;-)

02:28 AM Apr 17 2010 |

Gucci Yeung

China

Actually I didn’t read poems very often. I have ever read Hugo’s novels but never read his poems, are they good? I own a poetry collection of Dickinson, I’ve read it many times, I like Wild Nights, Wild Nights. And my favorite poets are Yeats, Neruda and two Chinese poets, Haizi and Gu Cheng.

05:43 AM Apr 18 2010 |

Gorgon

Gorgon

Romania

I've read several books in my life. Actually not so many. But is difficult to say wich was the best book. For me, two of the best were "The Story of San Michele" by Axel Munthe and "Dream of the Red Chamber" by Cao Xueqin.

08:15 AM Apr 18 2010 |

Gucci Yeung

China

Good, Gorgon, you have read Dream of the Red Chamber! It is the most famous Chinese ancient novel!

11:43 AM Apr 18 2010 |

Eleniya

Eleniya

Russian Federation

I like to read all Stephen King's books; Haruki Murakami (Japan); James Joyce; Graham Joyce's "Tooth Fairy"; Chuck Palahnuik's "Fight club", "Invisible monsters", "Lullaby"; and lots of English and American writers.

French author Bernard  Werber's books; Russian writers: Victor Pelevin and M.Bulgakov.

11:41 AM Apr 19 2010 |

Gucci Yeung

China

Hey, Saad. I’ve read the poem, as return I show you one of my favourites by Yeats.
-When You Are Old-
When you are old and gray and full of sleep 
And nodding by the fire, take down this book, 
And slowly read, and dream of the soft look
Your eyes had once, and of their shadows deep; 
How many loved your moments of glad grace, 
And loved your beauty with love false or true; 
But one man loved the pilgrim soul in you, 
And loved the sorrows of your changing face.
And bending down beside the glowing bars, 
Murmur, a little sadly, how love fled 
And paced upon the mountains overhead, 
And hid his face amid a crowd of stars.

04:11 PM Apr 20 2010 |

Gucci Yeung

China

Hello, Eleniya. I’ve read Stephen King’s The Shawshank Redemption, it is one of the most impressive novels I think. And I’ve read Norwegian Wood by Haruki. One thing suprised me, so many people like Bulgakov! I never know this before cause he is not so famous in my country. I like his Master and Margaret.

04:30 PM Apr 20 2010 |

Gucci Yeung

China

It’s really nice, thanks for your poem. Here is one by Neruda, I like it very much, and hope you enjoy it too.
-I Like for You to be Still-
I like for you to be still
It is as though you are absent
and you hear me from far away and my voice does not touch you
It seems as through your eyes had flown away
and it seems that a kiss had sealed your mouth
as all things are filled with my soul
your emerge from the things, fill with my soul
you are like my soul, a butterfly of dreams
and you are like the word melancholy
I like for you to be still, and you seem far away
It sounds as though you are lamenting, a butterfly cooing like a dove
And you hear me from far away,
and my voice does not reach you
Let me come to be still in your silence
And let me talk to you with your silence
That is bright like a lamp, simple as a ring
You are like the night, with its stillness and constellations
Your silence is that of a star, as remont and candid
I like for you to be still: it is as though you are absent
distant and dull of sorrow, as though you had died
One word then, one smile, is enoug
And I’m happy, happy that’s not true

04:03 PM Apr 21 2010 |

Gucci Yeung

China

The Shawshank Redemption is the only one of Stephen King’s works that I’ve read, I always want to watch the movie but get no chances. And, what is your mother language, Saad?

04:11 PM Apr 21 2010 |

Gucci Yeung

China

So you can speak Arabic, French and English, right? I’m always very interested in languages, for me they are like some magic keys that help people communicate and know each other better.

07:29 AM Apr 22 2010 |