Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

What do you do for a living? (Your occupation)

xiaomaomusic

United States

Hi Everyone!
I just like starting topics of conversation. A message board is always more fun when there are new replies to read.
What do you do for a living? (What is your job?)
What do you enjoy most about your job?
What do you like the least about your job?
Do you think you will be doing the same job in five years’ time? (Will you still be working there in 5 years?)
I am a high school English literature teacher in the United States. I am at the end of my fourth year teaching.
I enjoy being able to interact with great students and help them figure out their futures, particularly what college they will go to. It makes me happy when I really have taught them something that they can use in their lives.
I hate grading papers and dealing with excuses why a student doesn’t do their work. I hate having to repeat the same thing over and over again.
I am not sure if I will be a teacher in five years…. that would mean being a teacher for 10 years! And if I have taught for 10 years, likely I would teach for 15 more, and retire as a teacher. Scary to see your whole life planned out like that!!!!
: )
Holly

02:51 PM May 15 2006 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

xiaomaomusic

United States

>When I was graduated from college I went to be a garduate student,but my parents tell me”Sorry son,we don’t have enough money for your study, you’d better get a job first”.At that time I have no choice.

Paying for school is very hard. I had to pay for my undergraduate tuition alone. Lucky for me, my family did not have a lot of money, so I got some scholarships.

I am about to start my Master's degree (in Media Studies), and I will be paying for all that out of loans! So much money to pay back… 

>My parents right now is over 70 years old, but I’m just 24.They living in the country side, they are farmer. ...As the only son my parents have,I have the duty to take care of then.

Wow, that is a big responsibility to have. I have a brother and a sister, so if my mother needs help, I don't have to do it alone.  But, good luck to you in taking care of your parents. I am sure they appreciate that they have a good son!

>What I like the least about my job? There are so many things I dislike, I must work 6 days per week, I must work over time everyday, I can’t enjoy my vacation.

Ha! You could survive very well in America, then. If you want an office job, or a career in a large city, you have to work crazy hours! 

I enjoyed reading what you wrote, thanks for that Forrest! 

Good luck to you, and I hope you can find peace and success with your MBA

-Holly

07:49 PM May 23 2006 |

xiaomaomusic

United States

Same3d! Your job sounds so cool!

I have a friend who is an animator in the UK, and I am jealous, because he knows the guys who make WALLACE & GROMIT (claymation about a dog and an inventor).

: ) 

Holly

07:51 PM May 23 2006 |

sameh3d

sameh3d

Egypt

Hi Xiaomaomusic

Don't jealous my friend come and join us.

Just you need range two from three years study hard after that you can change you occupation. Truse me .

By the way, I've graduated from commerce so it's supposed that I was woked in Accounting field but I've changed the career it took time but i enjoy my work.The problem when I going to Retirement HUHUHHH.

09:49 AM May 24 2006 |

sameh3d

sameh3d

Egypt

Hi Xiaomaomusic

Don't jealous my friend come and join us.

Just you need range two from three years study hard after that you can change you occupation. Truse me .

By the way, I've graduated from commerce so it's supposed that I was woked in Accounting field but I've changed my career it took time but i enjoy my job.The problem when I going to Retirement HUHUHHH.

09:52 AM May 24 2006 |

fwlwinnie

fwlwinnie

China

hi,everybody,i am graduating from school,and now i am working in a private company,but i found it is very difficult to adapt to the life of working cause of many problems.who can do me a fovor,can you give me a suggestion?

11:25 AM May 24 2006 |

zifenglingme

China

hi,sameh3d, you are great!I feel you are passionate from you photoes.

03:37 AM Sep 01 2006 |

junna

China

i am an engineer .i worked in an engineering company when i just graduated from the university.the job is easy but i must work from monday to sunday ,there have no time to take a rest .the place is  far from cities .it is not be accepted that i   would be dispatched to another project some day  .i am a girl .i want a steady life ,so i find this job .now i am in a good city .i think  a person should change his/her job more than one time in his/her career .

04:15 AM Sep 01 2006 |