Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Ask Ebaby! Teachers Go Super!

a comics nerd

bkmiller69

bkmiller69

United States

In the lesson on Wednesday, the man described himself as “a comics nerd.”

I understand what ‘a nerd’ means, then what does ‘a comic nerd’ mean?

Thank you in advance.

02:00 PM May 26 2011 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

bkmiller69

bkmiller69

United States

A similar term is “a comic book nerd”. It is someone who is versed in all matters pertaining to comic books. They can recite facts and story lines in an instant. Most knowledge is found to be completely irrelevant to the rest of the world.

~Brian

02:15 AM May 27 2011 |

bkmiller69

bkmiller69

United States

Thanks, Brian.

Then, is the word ‘nerd’ used combined with only a jenre of books?

Or can it be combined with any other word, for example sport area or somethine else?

02:11 PM May 27 2011 |

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

Hi! Great question. You can be a nerd about anything that you know a lot about and are very obsessed with. For instance, “I’m a total music nerd” or “Jack is a film nerd. He has seen more movies than anyone I know and he especially loves weird movies that no one else has seen.”

AmyWink

09:17 PM May 27 2011 |

bkmiller69

bkmiller69

United States

Just like Amy said, it can be combined with “anything that you know a lot about and are very obsessed with.” there are also another terms that we can use in place of “nerd”:  ”junkie”, “fanatic”, “nut”, and “buff”. all are acceptable: sports junkie, sports fanatic, sports nut, sports buff. cooking fanatic, movie buff,... etc.

~Brian

05:16 AM May 29 2011 |