Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Ask Ebaby! Teachers Go Super!

Working Out

anges491

anges491

Russian Federation

Hello. I have a couple of questions about “working out” . Could you help me?

1- Is it correct to say: “I have my(a) work out 3 times a week”?

2- there are several ways to say that you do physical exercises: “practice sports”, “to go in for sports”, “to do sports” and “to work out”. Which of these are more common and which of them are not used at all?

3- is there any difference between “sport” and “sports”? e.g. if I say “I do sports” or “I do sport”?

Thanks a lot for your answers! Take care

09:05 PM Jan 19 2012 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

Hi! Here are some answers to your questions:

1- It is technically correct to say “I have a work out 3 times a week.” However, it sounds better to say, “I work out 3 times a week.”

2- “Work out” means exercise in general, not neccessarily by doing sports. For instance, lifting weights or running on a treadmill: these are not sports, but they are “working out.” So if you’re just talking about doing physical exercise, I would say it’s most common to use “work out.” Of the other three expressions, “I do sports” or “I play sports” more often. “Practice sports” and “go in for sports” are not often used.

3- “Sport” is used in British English; in American English, we would not say “I do sport.” We only say, “I do sports.”

Cool

09:49 PM Jan 19 2012 |

anges491

anges491

Russian Federation

Thanks a lot, Amy. That was very informative. I learned many new things.Smile

Is there a place here to write any suggestions with regard to lessons? I have some suggestions to propose, but I don’t know where to write them…

11:14 AM Jan 20 2012 |

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

You can tell them to me if you want, and I will pass them along. Or, at the bottom of the page, there is a “contact” button that you can click to send us an email.

AmySmile

11:30 PM Jan 20 2012 |

anges491

anges491

Russian Federation

my suggestion is that in your daily lessons one of you reads aloun new vocabulary word and its definition. But I think it would be gread if you could also read alound the sample sentences as well. Cool

08:35 PM Jan 24 2012 |

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

Thank you for the suggestion! We do read the vocabulary words and definitions; if you download the lesson MP3 you will hear it (the vocabulary is near the end of the lesson). We’ll think about reading the example sentences as well! Smile

09:34 PM Jan 24 2012 |