Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Ask Ebaby! Teachers Go Super!

would have been doing

ola33

ola33

Japan

Hi, I came across a sentence with that difficult structure for a foriegner  “Would have been doing”

Here’s the sentence: “At one time he would have been fishing, she knew, but he had kept to his vow and had even given away his favourite rod and his net.

Would have been fishing—does it mean he used to fish? From the context he’s not fishing anymore.

Thank you.

10:33 PM Sep 09 2013 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

You’re asking about Conditional Perfect Progressive (also known as Conditional Perfect Continuous) tense. It’s used to describe an ongoing thing that might have happened in the past if the situation was different. So, yes, it does mean he used to fish, but it’s a bit more complicated. If he hadn’t kept his promise to stop fishing, he would be fishing now. But he did keep his promise (vow). The speaker is imagining what might have happened if he hadn’t.

Another example for you: “I waited an hour at the doctor’s office yesterday before I finally gave up and left. If I hadn’t decided to go, I would have been sitting there forever!”

Or “If they had not passed their exam, their teacher would have been sad.”

I hope this helps!

Best,

Amy

12:17 AM Sep 12 2013 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

Amy, thank you very much.  I see the difference. Exactly it’s more complicated.

I would have been  ... if I hadn’t moved to another country. I’ve paid attention to the native speakers speech recently and particularly on this structure; yes, your answer makes it clear now. Thanks again, it did help!

Have a great day!

12:38 AM Sep 12 2013 |

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

My pleasure!

04:23 PM Sep 12 2013 |